There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Progressively Structured and Formal

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Customer-centric and fast paced. Always launching new services to customers. Great peers and direct reports, everyone genuinely comes to work ready to work hard. I've seen many entry level employees move to management or analyst positions over the years. Some of the smartest leaders and managers I've worked with have come through the doors at Amazon. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Where once there was an environment for innovation there is red tape, especially in operations where front line associates want so badly to be heard and respected. Fast growth and formal structure is overtaking the informal and unstructured culture that was once sought after. Poor hiring decisions - There are so many new mid/high level managers hired externally who do not exude Amazon leadership principles. They have MBA's but don't know how to work with people, develop or inspire them.

Company culture is waning. Remember what it means to be an Amazonian, and the pride behind the brand years ago. I've seen more reliable, smart, inventive people who were going to be lifers with Amazon leave in the last two years. My newly hired peers typically shy away from healthy debate. Hear what your front line employees are saying they are the backbone of the company.

3489 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Happy start, sad ending

Former Employee - Senior Vendor Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Vendor Manager

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is very cooperative and helpful. You always see good moods among the fellow employees. I had the chance to make big friendships there.

Cons

Too demanding work. You have to learn and do all by yourself - don't expect anyone to show you how to do your job. Look in the company internal wiki.

I was very disappointed with the decision of the company to lay me off. I never had the chance to receive a feedback from my manager and never had the chance to understand why I was fired.

Frugal all the way

Current Employee - TPM  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - TPM in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like any other software company

Cons

Frugal to the power 10

Think about employees for a second

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!