Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Progressively Structured and Formal

ProsCustomer-centric and fast paced. Always launching new services to customers. Great peers and direct reports, everyone genuinely comes to work ready to work hard. I've seen many entry level employees move to management or analyst positions over the years. Some of the smartest leaders and managers I've worked with have come through the doors at Amazon. Pay is competitive.

ConsWhere once there was an environment for innovation there is red tape, especially in operations where front line associates want so badly to be heard and respected. Fast growth and formal structure is overtaking the informal and unstructured culture that was once sought after. Poor hiring decisions - There are so many new mid/high level managers hired externally who do not exude Amazon leadership principles. They have MBA's but don't know how to work with people, develop or inspire them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany culture is waning. Remember what it means to be an Amazonian, and the pride behind the brand years ago. I've seen more reliable, smart, inventive people who were going to be lifers with Amazon leave in the last two years. My newly hired peers typically shy away from healthy debate. Hear what your front line employees are saying they are the backbone of the company.

Good money but awful work/life balance, hours, pressure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: money, room for creativity/openness to new ideas and trying new… Cons: many unreasonable expectations, 60 hour+ workweek Advice to Senior Management: Care more about your people's work/life balance and do something to make it better instead of ignoring the problem… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

FC management

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great benefits, salary, and career opportunities Surrounded by top talent Looks great… Cons: Work/Home life balance is difficult Change comes too fast, too often, and it does not have a common sense approach. Change comes in… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!