Wonderful for the smart hard-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Smart people, you will be surprised the time and effort the company invests in finding people
- Decent pay, average of the industry set of competitors, could be better
- Work smart, hard and long. As Jeff says, 2 of the 3 won't work :-)
- Strong sense of accomplishment when work is done

Cons

- Too exhausting at times
- Management may not be transparent always
- Some managers would qualify politicians (really). Stay away from them and just exchange smiles, nothing more
- Recognition. There are few people waiting to shoot using your hardworking. Wonder how they got hired!

Don't lose the great people. Figure out how to really use peer feedback to weed out the political ones and your will have the best place to work in Bangalore. You are close already.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

A place where my voice is heard, and I look forward to going every morning.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent job satisfaction (coming from customer focus)
    Very laid back dress code & atmosphere
    Can bring my dog to work.
    reimburse for parking
    Lots of extremely smart people all around me
    highering bar is very high which means people who make it in are

Cons

Can get hectic at times - meaning some weeks are difficult and long.
    Some people who don't set boundaries can burn out fast
    Turn over can be pretty high - usually due to moving on and up to better positions, but sometimes due to burn out.

Be aware and take steps to combat burn out so the people who are raising the bar are able to continue working at the company.
    Keep doing everything else just as well as it is.

Growing too fast, things slipping through the cracks

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coaching.
    Employee Discounts.
    Customers that are appreciative of assistance.
    Opportunity to telecommute.
    Chance to earn prizes and bonus.

Cons

Cost of BYOD [bring your own device] far more than communicated and ultimately far less valid given the limited seasonal employment. Probably spent at least my first week's pay covering the cost of working there for 3 or 4 months.

HR is not very competent. Told I would be hired, then ap lost had to drive across state to another recruiting drive elsewhere to get situation addressed. Also scheduling tools inaccurate - dinged for taking time systems said I had. Also was yanked back and forth on holiday scheduling multiple times daily during holiday weeks as to whether I would be working. Showed up then told I wasn't on schedule.

Felt training was inconsistent. Great to have it, but some trainers were not very knowledgeable. Lots of valuable time wasted on silly stuff. System errors often caused need to retake tests, and some answers were not current. Tactfully / constructively mentioned errors but not sure feedback was entirely appreciated :-)

My metrics / ratings were good but not hired on post season at the last minute. Cannot get unemployment because they haven't filed my income with the state. Lost out on a new job because last step was potential employer need to get more than an employment verification. Cannot apply for jobs with Amazon from outside because the system still thinks I work there and need to apply via the internal system.

Growth & taking risks is great -- just don't become the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory

Probably would have rated you three stars while I was there.

Dropped to one based on how things shook out and how poorly treated after giving heart and soul during holiday peak.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!