Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

You Are a Replacement Part

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGet hands dirty on work millions use on daily bases. Unlike Microsoft, this company across the lake does ship code.

Cons1. Very twisted compensation package. You are evaluated based on salary+stock, which should be 'given' although not vested, but the management sees that as 'you are well compensated' and would give away next to nothing for the hard work next year.

2. Terrible on-call. It's really a nightmare. Work-life balance is as bad as the worst story your friend told you. IT'S ALL TRUE.

3. Very bad benefit package. But you knew it when you got the offer, so can't complain too much about it.

4. Middle management is not transparent at all. You see the tree but not the forest. Sometimes they'd lie about promotion/compensation to get you work extra on top of already overloaded work-life balance. But it could be just my case.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management has great vision and the direction is great.

Please treat your employees well. They are NOT replacement part. Being frugal is ridiculously emphasized. You can keeping hiring people with high turnover rate now, but this is not right. Bezos said 'kindness is a choice' during his Princeton speech, well, 'kindness' is definitely the choice Amazon chose to treat its employees.

SE intern at Amazon

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros: Big techical company is good for me to develop my… Cons: It should be very stressful and may encounter some problems… More

Warehouse associate

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Chester, VA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: A lot of opportunities to move up Great benefits Cons: Not flexible Poor raises The pay is not worth the work Advice to Senior Management: HR department can be more organize More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!