There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Three years I'll never get back - and no I haven't been fired, I just wanna leave..

Current Employee - Not Worth the Risk Revealing What I Do, They'll BE After Me!  in  Dudelange (Luxembourg)
Current Employee - Not Worth the Risk Revealing What I Do, They'll BE After Me! in Dudelange (Luxembourg)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Package WITH CAVEATS: The stock is pretty decent for the first couple of years, then it overperforms and you're like totally screwed ("it's not our fault we did so well" cry the fat cats)
Some people are really decent and they try super hard.

Cons

The tech is substandard, I mean it's hard sometimes to just get the basics done without raising ticket after ticket
The processes are ludicrous (and - worse - inefficient)
Complete diregard for people's lives - work and social (most of us are pretty young, we need to live a little outside of work - I see little of the 'work hard' ethic)
The salary is poor for such an expensive, dreary place to live

Practice what you preach guys. It's about time to wake up and smell your substandard coffee: Amazon is no longer a startup but a (tenuously profitable, true) multi billion dollar business thats been around for almost 20 years. Stop hiding behind cool slogans and 'leadership principles' that you don't represent and use as an excuse not to spend money. Grow up. If you can't spend because profits are so poor, then rethink your strategy.

3498 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Great Place to Shop , not a good place to work (fulfilment center)

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Chester, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Chester, VA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is "ok" for starting pay
    Hours and schedule ar great

Cons

No promotions ops
    Goals are NOT 100% attainable
    Breaks are lost during commutes to breaks rooms
    Rare positive feedback

Promote from within, managers should be able to complete the work they hold employees accountable for.

Innovative company, smart people, no work-life balance

Former Employee - Category Leader  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Category Leader in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazon employs the best and the brightest, the culture is metrics-driven and employees are given autonomy and empowered to make decisions.

Cons

The Director-level management and above simply do not care how many hours you work or about development. They are managers, not leaders. Many of them lack a simple understanding of how to select, hire, and retain talent. Nor do they care. They rely on Amazon’s stock performance as a retention method. The review process is a forced-ranking cage-match, therefore peers are more interested in highlighting their wins and trying to tank others in order to get ahead. It’s an unhealthy, toxic environment.

Understand the value of productive employees with industry knowledge instead of hiring “smart people to figure it out”. MIT grads don’t’ have practical experience and are often not effective. Smart people often reinvent the wheel. Learn what systems should be developed in-house vs. leveraging something already existing in the market place. You are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for dev teams to invent something that is already in the marketplace, with better functionality. Create succession plans

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!