There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Hectic, not research oriented and not employer friendly

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

AWS is very good and they give very good services

Cons

Hectic, not research oriented and not employer friendly

3666 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Amazon is a great company to start at.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Competitive offers (not the best, but still well above average)
    -Many of the teams have a similar feel to a start up
    -It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
    -The people here are smart and motivated
    -Has a kind of "hands off" management style, at least where I work. The mentality is that as long as I get my work done appropriately, all is good.
    -You can go from team to team, department to department, and continuously learn new things. You can jump from low end server management to high end app development for example.
    -The company is going places both from a financial sense (have you looked at their stock recently and its trend?) and a technology sense
    -The teams are generally kept small and for my team at least, leads to better communication

Cons

-With some teams, work life balance is horrible. This is not all teams however, mostly the ones that manage the website directly and are responsible for keeping various services up and running. I have seen it both ways.
    -It is in Seattle (I have mixed feelings about this)
    -It can be difficult at times to get recognized for your hard work even if you go above and beyond the call of duty (please note I have not personally experiences this. Rather, it is a conclusion I have reached based off of my interactions with others and what I have seen)
    -Team culture and work life balance varies from "I want to get out of here" to "I absolutely love it here and can't imagine myself anywhere else" I understand that this happens in many different companies, but I wish Amazon would work more to normalize this spectrum.

Make sure employees know that their work is appreciated.

No MBA? No Future!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Positive work environment. Dogs allowed at workstations. Online resources to self-teach.

Cons

Company actively pursues and recruits MBAs with no relevant experience and discriminated against Bachelor holders with relevant experience! No work life balance.

You need a good balance of education and experience. Graduate school can't teach you everything!

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com