There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Was better before all the changes

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Grand Forks, ND (US)
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Grand Forks, ND (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and relaxed environment. Pay and benefits are great, hard to find another job that meets what they offer in this area. Work from Home opportunities

Cons

*Training needs to be changed. When I first started training was in depth and I hit the floor knowing what I was doing. With the past few positions I've taken, training has been minimal and I feel completely unprepared for the job at hand.

* Work from home staff gets forgotten and left out of on site functions.

* Monthly internet allowance of $25 doesn't cover half of my internet or phone bill.

* Leadership needs to be available more often and monitor the team members available time

* Huge amount of favoritism

* Under appreciated

* Company is micro-managed and has grown a lot faster than it seems can be handled at times

Pay attention to your team. Make sure people are in avail when they should be and treat everyone on the team fairly. Don't offer special treatment to people or single out others just because you're buddies with them. This leaves workers on the phones short handed and feeling angry towards their leadership. Offer more to Work From Home. This is a large part of your company in Grand Forks, make sure we feel appreciated.

3679 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Not as much opportunity for SDETs

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Exciting projects that have high visibility and use
    * Customer-centric focus
    * Lots of good software engineer tools and frameworks in place

Cons

* Not a whole lot of opportunity for SDET or test career. Sure, there are pockets of them, but I wouldn't count on Amazon as a long term place for a test career. Not uncommon to see the senior test folks eventually leave due to lack of promotion process for them.
    * Heavy emphasis on on-call activities with less emphasis on building quality in from the beginning.
    * Fairly young engineering management

If you want to attract and KEEP test professionals, hire more test managers and some test VP or Directors to help keep the culture alive.

Stealing their way to the top - one overpriced book at a time

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fast paced, fun, 4 day week, new and improved onsite coaching, weekly pay, paid training

Cons

bell model based land grabbers with lacking personality skills, even if you work hard and know you are working hard, HR will make it their responsibility to find you a position where you can
    struggle so they can follow company model of keeping the majority of their employees off the books. great for a young person. still in conflict over their original lease agreement since day one.
    unable or unwilling to pay corporate debts to original investors.

smile, you have a job