There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Great company if you're a cultural fit

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Rapid growth
Strong leadership
Lots of opportunities to grow and work on exciting projects
Amazon culture (if you're a good fit)

Cons

None of the usual tech perks (e.g. free lunch, etc.) - in fact, frugality is a core tenet
Promotions are a reward for having done the level up job, not a prerequisite to doing the job

3666 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Very mixed range of skillset, experience, and intelligence

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The smart ones are some of the smartest teammates you will ever have
    - You WILL learn a lot
    - you get paid like a boss coming right out of school

Cons

- The dumb ones are some of the dumbest people you will encounter (and may drag you down with them)
    - Every once a while, you may be put on a nasty project. sometimes by yourself. sometimes without any help, but they have expectations that you'll finish. early.
    - you will have to wear a pager and be on call some time (some teams have light schedules, with one week per every 4 months, but some teams make you go on call one of every 3 weeks)

Don't let someone be a manager just because they have been there for 10+ years. if they're not fit, it's time to recognize that and either add someone else or just swap him. Horrible Management means capped creativity (which kills a product innovation team)

Okay projects, bad work environment, terrible benefits

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Projects are interesting. You can get technical challenge with fellow software engineers. There're lots of smart people, here.

Cons

Work environment is not great. In the beginning, A shared desk was assigned to me without cube. A small war-room kind of office with 7 software engineers and there's no privacy while others kept complaining about smell of my coffee. I've never been in this kind of atmosphere. It might only be my team but quite discouraged to be creative.
    The benefit was even worse. In normal company, HMO is the cheapest plan but Amazon offers the most expensive HMO option and there's wierd plan of health fund. Health fund is okay for who doesn't go to see doctor more than 7 times per year but totally out of sense when you had family. Premium was already high but out of pocket cost for hospital is another story. 401k matching is very low and the company tries to get employee's patent idea for free while my previous company always paid for it. Parking reimbursement wasn't enough to drive your car to downtown. There's no ESPP. And so on..
    There's no formal training except new hire orientation which took only half day. No education support. It seems like this company only want to use your knowledge and has no interest to develop it.
    On call duty is also painful. You need to carry the pager and it might beep in the midnight and must respond it within 15 min or it'll be escalated to your manager, director, vp, ...

You need to care your employees as human being.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com