There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Better than your average sweat shop!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Very sharp people, cutting edge (with some blood flowing). Excellent hiring bonus. There are excellent "pockets" of staff -- but they tend to be the exception and not the rule.

Cons

Still suffers from high turnover with staff. Lack of significant experience in management result in a lot of pro-forma decisions and little empathy. There is a general feeling that employees are temporary (and will voluntarily or involuntarily move on) once they slip out of the top 40% of performers. Most recruits are straight from University and as a result, tend to be accepting of abuse that is common in grad schools.

Rethink your IT people growth -- Amazon profit margin is dropping towards negative fast. Shareholders may push for cuts -- and IT personnel costs is a big target. If you do any IT layoffs, this may result in the best moving on quickly elsewhere....

3679 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Amazon (Site Merchandising)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constantly challenging and fast paced means never being bored at work

Cons

Politics, lack of upward mobility

Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

Cons

Different teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Hire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com