Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Better than your average sweat shop!

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGood benefits. Very sharp people, cutting edge (with some blood flowing). Excellent hiring bonus. There are excellent "pockets" of staff -- but they tend to be the exception and not the rule.

ConsStill suffers from high turnover with staff. Lack of significant experience in management result in a lot of pro-forma decisions and little empathy. There is a general feeling that employees are temporary (and will voluntarily or involuntarily move on) once they slip out of the top 40% of performers. Most recruits are straight from University and as a result, tend to be accepting of abuse that is common in grad schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your IT people growth -- Amazon profit margin is dropping towards negative fast. Shareholders may push for cuts -- and IT personnel costs is a big target. If you do any IT layoffs, this may result in the best moving on quickly elsewhere....

Amazon (Site Merchandising)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: Constantly challenging and fast paced means never being bored at… Cons: Politics, lack of upward mobility No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A place to start

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Amazon is a great entry place for engineers. A mix of some ability and some drive will get an entrant into the full engineering exposure… Cons: Management ability is completely random. Many do not have the training or ability to manage. The rise by force of will culture leads… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!