There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Good place to work if you can get past overall company morale

Former Employee - Senior Business Planning Manager in Dulles, VA (US)
Former Employee - Senior Business Planning Manager in Dulles, VA (US)

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work-life balance and good benefits. great daycare

Cons

company morale, inertia, too many complacent employees whose morale has been long gone

put the focus back on product

648 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Terrible place to work for talented developers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dulles, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dulles, VA (US)

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was a fun place to work for the first few years I worked there, but the ratio of managers to developers became higher and higher over time.

Cons

Very "top-heavy" - some projects on which I worked as a senior software engineer had almost 50% management. The management is proficient at political maneuvering but inept at independently making competent decisions. The bureaucracy is so bad, they had to use outside firms to develop new products/software. Owners of these outside companies were often personal friends of those AOL managers which hired them.

Hint: build products and services that customers not only want but are also willing to pay for. Making money is not a crime.

Another hint: if you put advertisements on it is NOT sufficient reason to for a customer to come to an AOL site.

Overall, the company is very "top-heavy" - some projects on which I worked as a senior software engineer had almost 50% management. The management is proficient at political maneuvering but inept at independently making competent decisions. Everything had to be done by committee ("scrum") - and frequently that committee included neither the people who would pay for the services (i.e. the customers) nor the people who would build the services (i.e., the developers). The bureaucracy is so bad, they had to use outside firms to develop new products/software. Owners of these outside companies were often personal friends of those AOL managers which hired them.

CSR

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waterford (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waterford (Ireland)

I worked at AOL part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Waterford call centre: Part time shifts great while completing college which allowed for evening and weekend work. Good team environment

Cons

One year there was the option of taking stocks as a bonus, if you did not select the option of stocks or was out of the office at the time, you did not receive the stocks or any bonus. Great for me as I got the stocks but not for others.

Spend more time on team activities even if one weekly huddle or meeting.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL