There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

OK company

Current Employee - Senior Bridge Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Bridge Engineer

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

potential of high profile projects

Cons

bad management. Few manager with good engineering backgound

811 Other Employee Reviews for AECOM (View Most Recent)

Great Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than a year

Pros

The ability to work from home occasionally is a nice perk
    Work life balance is great!

Cons

It's hard to get the educational benefits they claim they offer.
    Layoffs are a monthly happening which is very hard to deal with, causing more work for everyone.
    Low moral in the office culture due to layoffs.

Limited room to grow and gain professional development.

clients are upset and looking to other enginering firms.alot of our expertise has left

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

it is a job and fellow employees are good people , the few that are left

Cons

The company is completely disfunctional. Engineers are expected to do the Accountants' jobs. What the accountants actually do makes no sense, and only makes your life more difficult. It takes a month to get the 6 approvals necessary to install new software on your computer. Internal competition is rampant. Offices directly compete with each other over work. The idea of "working on a team" is non-existent.

Opportunity for advancement is minimal. As a technical person you become "the guy" of something, but have no opportunity to ever do anything else, which is not exactly what a 25 year old engineer is looking to do.

The other option is to become a Project Manager which is a High Risk/Low Reward position. Basically, the only way I've seen the company win projects is to vastly under-price the work. It then becomes the PM's job to pick up the pieces. And when the project inevitably loses money, it's the PM's fault. If by some miracle you do manage to finish a project on schedule and budget, there is no reward. I really don't understand how this company can be making money.

Basically, working here is like waiting in line to die. I'm still alive, but what's the point. I look at people who have been working here for a long time and either feel sorry for them, or want to throw up. Time to move on.

This business model is broken, and I don't think there's any way to fix it. When business is down, it is still best to treat employees with respect. We (the employees) all want the best for our clients AND each other.

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!