There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

You're Just A Number

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Arlington, VA (US)
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Convenient location near public transportation, cool staff, friends, steady paycheck, gym in building. Have I reached the 20 word minimum yet?

Cons

Share some of the downsides of working at AECOM? "Soul-crushing" and "you're just a number" are the most accurate descriptions of AECOM. When I was laid off last year during one of their many rounds of lay-offs, my manager wasn't even present.

I was with a former operating company that just celebrated its 100th anniversary. Post-merger and after months of mind-games, bending over backwards in the name of "AECOM values", and countless wasted hours spent on pointless "team-building" meetings, I was let go. When AECOM fires you, you have 15 minutes to vacate the premises, and you can't say goodbye to anyone unless they're near your desk. Some random HR representative, that you've never met hovers near you until you leave. If you don't leave within 15 minutes, security is summoned.. And to me, a company that treats you that way when you leave never really cared that you were there in the first place. Employees who were with the previous operating company, some for 20+ years, were just unceremoniously discarded. It's heartbreaking.

At AECOM, you are a number, not a valued employee with a personality and experience. Just a number.

Advice to management? Read these reviews.

807 Other Employee Reviews for AECOM (View Most Recent)

positive overall experience

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

work environment that offers carrier opportunities

Cons

very large company currently in the process of restructuring

client focus should be the main strategy driver

Extremely capable company, great people, but they've lost track of the importance of individuals

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great opportunities for those who seize them
    - Functional matrix system helps to deliver resources where clients need them
    - Tremendous, knowledgeable people who care about their jobs and will share their knowledge
    - Vast resources and capabilities

Cons

- Lower levels of management have significant responsibility but now authority
    - Systems for decision making and risk management get in the way of doing business
    - Employees get lost in the equation for major decisions, with employee retention having little value to the bean counters
    - Management gets so focused on performing for Wall Street each quarter that they undermine their own business model, undermine profits, and damage their reputation.

- Recognize the financial value of employee retention (how much does it cost to replace 1% of your staff every year? What about 2%?) and incorporate that value into decisions
    - Think long-term, not current quarter; invest in building value and expanding capabilities rather than trimming BD budgets as tightly as possible to eek out another 1% ROI

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!