Aéropostale

www.aeropostale.com
  www.aeropostale.com
There are newer employer reviews for Aéropostale

Way overworked! Not given tools to succeed.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)
Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Somewhat decent pay for retail.
earn one personal day a month.

Cons

Never given enough hours,to properly run store.
Direction from home office is never consistent
Don't have an effective training program.
ridiculously long hours you are required to work during holiday
Low price point men's a constant battle with cheap customers.

I was hired by Aero thinking there would be a lot of opportunity, boy was I wrong. The company offers littles opportunity for advancement unless you just want to move to a higher volume store. Store managers are given little freedom to actually run the store. the DM spends all of their time micro-managing instead of working to help train the managers.
They recently made changes to management head counts so many stores are required to run with only 2 full time managers. I was hired and left in a store with a newly hired AM as well and left to fend for myself without help from the DM on how to run the store. And if you are down a manager you will get no help from others stores, the SM is expected to work all of their hours as well as the management hours of the manager you are short(even if it is just bc your manager is on vacation)
The company is constantly running and changing promotions that are confusing to the customer( once we even changed promotion half way through the day).
Also the black out dates for not being able to take vacation are worse than any other retail place I have worked, bc in addition to what is listed in the handbook the dm and rm will just make up days that you can't take vacation (ie last day of the month, last saturday of the month, spring break, mothers/fathers day weekend, Easter weekend)
If you are thinking of leaving your current retail job for aero(especially in the St. Louis/Kansas City/Springfield area) I would try to do as much research as possible and try to talk to people who work or used to work there. it won't be hard to find many who used to work there.

Provide enough hours for stores to run effectively and successfully.

562 Other Employee Reviews for Aéropostale (View Most Recent)

Great Company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits for employees, great company

Cons

Customer base varies dramatically among stores. It makes if very dificult to stay engaged when the customer wants nothing to do with you and has no respect for you or your product. This experience is not always this bad in other malls. Advancement is great if you have someone in your corner.

Promoting within the same store can be very difficult for the peers who are not subordinants. Make sure you take time to engage all staff. Don't play favorites because it is very disengaging.

Good company

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

enjoyed all the good prices

Cons

There are really no done that I can think of other than the interview process took a while because she's doing a background check

There are newer employer reviews for Aéropostale