Emerson

Updated 8 December, 2014
3.4

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr
David N. Farr

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, travel expectations are low for some positions (in 17 reviews)

• Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • work - life balance is not so great (in 4 reviews)

• For such a big company with such a magnitude, they extremely under-pay their employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Well balanced company

Current Employee - Information Technician
    Current Employee - Information Technician

I have been working at Emerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-Home life seem to be very balanced in this company (and even more-so depending on your boss).
    Vacation accumulates fairly quickly.
    They like to keep individuals in house, it is easy to move up the ladder here.

Cons

The HR staff here moves slower than any HR group that I have ever worked with before!
    The salaries at times can seem to be a little less competitive.

Be willing to make sacrifices to keep solid employees. There have been many good employees leave for an outside company because Emerson would not meet some simple requests.

Complicated environment with little direction.

Former Employee - Sales Facilitator in Niwot, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Facilitator in Niwot, CO (US)

I worked at Emerson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I really don't have anything good to say about this company.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, too little direction, the left foot doesn't know where the right foot is headed.

Lead man

Former Employee - Lead Man in Chino, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Man in Chino, CA (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are none they don't teach you anything I learned on my own or from watching others maybe one pro is a paycheck but the company doesn't pay well.

Cons

training management is awful they don't pay well supervisors need to be investigated for others to see how poorly they do there jobs

train your employees better and don't let management write people up for others mistakes also pay setup people operators and lead man better

Stable, Secure, but lacks the young zest of creativity

I have been working at Emerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A very big stable company. Lots of interaction with colleagues around the Globe. Work-life balance is fantastic.

Cons

Since it is a big company, it is hard to make a mark in the industry. Specially when you are working in the remote/offshoring offices.

Maybe it will best if they can also try to see the leadership potentials in their new employees specially in the offshores.

Good work life balance

Current Employee - IT Analyst I in Makati City (Philippines)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst I in Makati City (Philippines)

I have been working at Emerson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance. The job is not that toxic as compared to other jobs in the industry.

Cons

Salary is not as high compared to other companies.

Increase the salary of the employees

Great Place to Cultivate a Career

Former Employee - Technology Professional in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Technology Professional in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow and advance in all areas of the business. Generally promotes from within. Strong mentoring program and great educational support.. Training is available to all employees and encouraged. Passionate people at the leadership level and very goal oriented. Facilities across the globe are fantastic and the corporate campus in St. Louis is particularly beautiful with multiple cafeterias and gyms. Work/life balance is for the most part maintained though travel requirements for leadership roles can be taxing.

Cons

As with many large companies Emerson can be slow to change and some of the creativity is missing that can be present in smaller firms. Compensation is comparable but can be slow to increase.

Take more input from all levels of the business when setting company goals, there can be a perception of an ivory tower.

Really Good Company

I have been working at Emerson

Pros

Values their employees and has a very good business pan for continued sustainability

Cons

Not too many turn-over, reducing opportunities available for advancement

it is a stable workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Emerson part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

medical facility on campus, pension plan, regular work hours, nice campus, gym on campus, stable company

Cons

communication, employees over 50 are not valued, a lot of bureaucracy, no bonuses for those not in upper management, salary increases below standard

be fair to workers of all ages and share the wealth with all those who are working to make you rich

Good company to make a career with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, potential to move within the organization to other companies in the portfolio, training opportunities. If you make smart choices you could spend your entire career in this company. Emerson has a portfolio of companies and the span the globe. Within my division alone was Intermetro Industries, Ridge Tool, Closet Maid, Insinkerator and there are Emerson climate tech, and others.

Cons

I was laid off when the company moved work to PA and I didnt want to move. They were generous with my severance package, but I was a manager. I don't think the workers fared as well.

Overall, it has been a good experience working at Emerson.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A problem solving organization. Overall the company is financially well managed, invests heavily in new technology development, drives innovation, and is a thought leader striving to be #1 or #2 in markets served. Most people are customer focused and work well together to develop solutions that deliver significant results. Compensation and benefits are okay. In general work / life balance is good for most people.

Cons

Too many silos. Organizational design, goals, measures, rewards, and incentives are not always optimal to encourage collaboration or best results across departments, regions, or business units. Heavily matrixed organization can make it challenging to gain approvals, buy-in, or consensus to change. Also, there are fairly limited opportunities to take foreign assignments, however, most global leadership or subject matter expert positions typically require extensive international travel 50%+.

Emerson Photos