Emerson Reviews

Updated 25 August, 2014

3.4

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr
David N. Farr

Pros
  • In general work / life balance is good for most people (in 15 reviews)

• Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work - life balance is not so great (in 4 reviews)

• just like any other big company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to do your internship with

Former Employee - Project Technician  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Former Employee - Project Technician in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at Emerson as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Salary is decent;
    - Pleasant working environment, the people there are friendly and helpful. Even if you don't know exactly what you have to do right away, they give you an accommodation period during which you get the chance to learn about your job duties.
    - Flexible working hours;
    - I didn't attend any training courses during my internship but new employees take a training course in DeltaV if they apply for a position in the PSS department, for example;
    - They offer courses for learning a new language (not for interns);
    - There is a cafeteria on campus where the food is relatively cheap;

Cons

- Location. It's situated outside the city limits and traveling to and from work can take about ~2 hours a day if you live near the city center;
    - They didn't seem to have many free "cubicles" so I had to switch desks a lot;
    - A lot of bureaucracy.

Overall, Emerson is a good place to work

I have been working at Emerson

Pros

The work life balance at Emerson is excellent. Great respect for making sure that balance is in place. Numerous individuals with decades within the company.

Cons

The locations that Emerson tends to locate it's businesses tend to be a bit rural.

A great start-up for a junior student

Former Employee - Assistant of Markeing Manager  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Assistant of Markeing Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Emerson as an intern for less than a year

Pros

One of the 500 hundreds, great opportunities to study and learn.

Cons

So strictly and formal working environment

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company that needs to catch up to current industry practices.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company to move around between business divisions with a wide spectrum of jobs.

Cons

Like previous comments about being the squeaky wheel if you want to have personal growth.
    Very heavy Office Politics with "In" crowds.

Drop the "Emerson culture" mentality because it does not work with the new generation.
    Embrace and appreciate new ideas that will match industry practices.

Cooling CE

I worked at Emerson

Pros

It used to be a great and very stable company that would invest on their employees big time. There was almost no stress because the company provided the right tools to make it comfortable and stable at almost every conditions.

Cons

For such a big company with such a magnitude, they extremely under-pay their employees. A lot of people guessed my salary to be almost twice of what I made. It has become very unstable that everyone that I speak to that is still there seems to be miserable and worrying that they're going to be on the next round of layoffs. They're shipping their "American Made" equipment factories overseas to make a penny in profits. When you think you're doing an amazing job, all of the sudden they lay you off or move you to another department.

I won't recommend this company to any person I care for, because I don't want them to be worry about getting laid-off every day.

Ralph Liebert did not envision this happening to his employees when he sold his company to Emerson.

Work there for 32 years

Former Employee - Supervisor of Production  in  Decatur, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor of Production in Decatur, AL (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good places work steady Overtime

Cons

When the plant gets 30 years + your need find new job they will move it to another country

Its all about profit if they don't off to mexico

It really depends which division

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time

Pros

I've worked with some great people in our division and in others. The people are why I've stayed.

Cons

Benefits are terrible and management actively blocks promotions for self serving reasons. At times the 'whatever it takes to get it done mentality' has really played havoc with my health.

I worked at Emerson Corporate for more than 4 years.

Former Employee - IT Staff  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - IT Staff in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer a relatively stable job environment(regular paycheck), reasonably good tertiary benefits (not medical though), and opportunities for some advancement (if you are willing to sacrifice your own integrity).

Cons

Corporate management looks down on the Divisions. They have a serious good-ol-boy network and nepotism running rampant in the entire company. They say they hire diversely, which is true, but do not require nearly the level or amount of work out of more diverse employees. They have performed cost-cutting by hiring overseas, or transferring jobs overseas, but still require those left in the US to perform the majority of the work. They have let perfect job candidates leave the company, and generally hire new untalented, or un(der)-trained new recruits, to save a few dollars. Those same recruits generally learn just enough to find another job, and then leave as well. Salary is mediocre at best (note: this is not necessarily true for the divisions). As for politics, every person that has said low or no politics within these reviews, is lying. This is one of the most politically oriented environments on the planet. The executive area of the company purposefully intimidates each and every employee with their personal (outside the company) political views (which lean very far to the right). As for internal politics, that has everything to do with making yourself look good to your superiors, at the total cost of truth, fairness and making those around you look bad to bolster the higher ups view of you. Understand that this is a business, and making money is the point of business, but they do it in a way the belittles all, and benefits very few. The "massive" number of turnovers in just the IT department alone would have been enough to remove most of middle management and all of HR in most companies.

Wake up, and start dealing with your massive turnover rate problems. Get a valid method of performance appraisal in place, and start acting on them. Stop playing favorites for family members and those in the good-ol-boy network, and allow your company to thrive appropriately. Some of the founding board members and upper management in this company were family friends, and they would be appalled at what you have done to their once proud company.
    When asked, I do not recommend this employer to my friends, or to those who are not. You should fix that kind of outlook on your company.

Good

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer  in  Eden Prairie, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's great working with people that cares about the job and have fun on the job.

Cons

just like any other big company

Upper Management does not care.

Former Employee - Assembly Supervisor  in  Welcome, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Assembly Supervisor in Welcome, NC (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that worked for me were good.

Cons

Management didn't care about Supervisors or floor associates.

Practive the Golden Rule

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!