Emerson Reviews

Updated 24 September, 2014
3.4

Emerson Chairman and CEO David N. Farr
David N. Farr

Pros
  • In general work / life balance is good for most people (in 16 reviews)

• Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • work - life balance is not so great (in 4 reviews)

• Since it is a big company, it is hard to make a mark in the industry (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Learn, Great Place to Retire (if you can stay employed)

Former Employee - Director, Engineering  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Director, Engineering in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Emerson has great processes and strong, stable leadership. It has great training infrastructure for its leaders, including very effective mandatory training for first-line managers and 360 reviews for directors and above. The company focus on profitability assures that the company at least is viable going concern and will be around for the indefinite future. The company has a fantastic retirement plan if you don't get laid off before you can build it up. For those who join now, there is a profit sharing contribution to your retirement. The older folks get a pension.

Cons

It's incredibly difficult to cull out poor performers - especially at the individual contributor level, but when profitability of a business unit is an issue, a layoff can ensue that takes out a whole swath of people - both good and bad.

The culture tends to breed a lot of cliques and factions - both inside the various business units and especially between them. There are mandates to the business units to collaborate more effectively but for the most part these mandates are only given lip service. Each BU and Line of Business has its own P&L - to which incentive pay is based - and *everyone* is short staffed. Hence there is significant disincentive to collaborate if there is no way for both BU's to heavily monetize the opportunity.

The company has a strategy to move into MRO & Energy services enabled by enterprise software. This strategy permeates the business with teams in every platform (Climate, Process, IA, etc) trying to execute it.

Unfortunately, the company is not a true software development company - it is a component manufacturer with firmware development for the electronics it sells. Software development - especially enterprise software development - is an enigma to senior leadership.

Therefore, while the software-enabled service strategy conceptually seems like a great idea, it has been extremely problematic to monetize. Many of the issues lie with the execution, but quite frankly the initial strategy was flawed as well. I'm not sure if there have been adjustments since 2013.

Finally - the place is a case study in unfunded mandates. I heard "we need to do more with less" so many times that it ceased to have any meaning. There are process groups that expect compliance with certain process changes but the funding for the QA and project management heads to implement the changes is never there..

Be more willing to admit that a strategy isn't working and come up with a new approach. People in the office of the chief executive need to be willing to allow the business units more flexibility in their go-to-market approach for services and software. Be willing to take a hit in profitability and do what it takes to truly fund innovation. Don't make it so hard to fire people.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Emerson part-time for more than a year

Pros

Gym membership, doctor on site with no fees

Cons

Understanding matricies of the hierarchy of people

Provide up front training

Overall, Emerson is a good place to work

I have been working at Emerson

Pros

The work life balance at Emerson is excellent. Great respect for making sure that balance is in place. Numerous individuals with decades within the company.

Cons

The locations that Emerson tends to locate it's businesses tend to be a bit rural.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to do your internship with

Former Employee - Project Technician  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Former Employee - Project Technician in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at Emerson as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Salary is decent;
    - Pleasant working environment, the people there are friendly and helpful. Even if you don't know exactly what you have to do right away, they give you an accommodation period during which you get the chance to learn about your job duties.
    - Flexible working hours;
    - I didn't attend any training courses during my internship but new employees take a training course in DeltaV if they apply for a position in the PSS department, for example;
    - They offer courses for learning a new language (not for interns);
    - There is a cafeteria on campus where the food is relatively cheap;

Cons

- Location. It's situated outside the city limits and traveling to and from work can take about ~2 hours a day if you live near the city center;
    - They didn't seem to have many free "cubicles" so I had to switch desks a lot;
    - A lot of bureaucracy.

Boring and unnerving

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable company, well organized, decent work-life balance, good training. Also good products

Cons

Career opportunities non-existent. If you work in a satellite location, management in St. Louis or Austin will forget about you. Benefits are so-so. Pay rises rare. No bonuses. Work load is unpredictable, so you might end up doing nothing for months and then suddenly work 12 hours per day. Management style is very old fashioned and structure is very hierarchical. There is no way to influence the way things are done. Technology tools are obsolete and time-wasting.

Management should realize that we live in the 21st century, not in the Fordist era. Obsession with profit should give way to a broader view about the Company's future and long-term goals. Also, communication with employees should be real, not just presenting numbers and achievements carefully selected to mask the reality of business environment.

Cooling CE

I worked at Emerson

Pros

It used to be a great and very stable company that would invest on their employees big time. There was almost no stress because the company provided the right tools to make it comfortable and stable at almost every conditions.

Cons

For such a big company with such a magnitude, they extremely under-pay their employees. A lot of people guessed my salary to be almost twice of what I made. It has become very unstable that everyone that I speak to that is still there seems to be miserable and worrying that they're going to be on the next round of layoffs. They're shipping their "American Made" equipment factories overseas to make a penny in profits. When you think you're doing an amazing job, all of the sudden they lay you off or move you to another department.

I won't recommend this company to any person I care for, because I don't want them to be worry about getting laid-off every day.

Ralph Liebert did not envision this happening to his employees when he sold his company to Emerson.

A company that needs to catch up to current industry practices.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company to move around between business divisions with a wide spectrum of jobs.

Cons

Like previous comments about being the squeaky wheel if you want to have personal growth.
    Very heavy Office Politics with "In" crowds.

Drop the "Emerson culture" mentality because it does not work with the new generation.
    Embrace and appreciate new ideas that will match industry practices.

Work there for 32 years

Former Employee - Supervisor of Production  in  Decatur, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor of Production in Decatur, AL (US)

I worked at Emerson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good places work steady Overtime

Cons

When the plant gets 30 years + your need find new job they will move it to another country

Its all about profit if they don't off to mexico

It really depends which division

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Emerson full-time

Pros

I've worked with some great people in our division and in others. The people are why I've stayed.

Cons

Benefits are terrible and management actively blocks promotions for self serving reasons. At times the 'whatever it takes to get it done mentality' has really played havoc with my health.

A great start-up for a junior student

Former Employee - Assistant of Markeing Manager  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Assistant of Markeing Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Emerson as an intern for less than a year

Pros

One of the 500 hundreds, great opportunities to study and learn.

Cons

So strictly and formal working environment

Emerson Photos

Worked for Emerson? Contribute to the Community!