Emeritus Senior Living Reviews

Updated 18 April, 2015
313 reviews filtered by
2.8
T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • enjoy the teams i work with and the ability to support others in making a positive work environment (in 10 reviews)

• I look forward to coming to work everyday (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management within the facility and Corporate does not follow their own policies and ethics (in 8 reviews)

• Everyone sleeps with each other in empty rooms the residents are not a priority here (in 75 reviews)

1. Resident Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Setting Up Dining Room Tables, Bussing Tables, Serving Beverages, Taking Orders, Vacumning Floors, Checking On a Resident, and Taking Out Garbage

Cons

Oswego Springs was too inconvenient from my House and I had to drive all the way across town to get all the way over there.

Advice to Management

I would like to find Senior Home Care Assistant Living Facilities that are closer to where I like such as East Multnomah County, and/or North Clackamas County.

2. Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living (More than 5 years)

Pros

was a great companies good work life balance, very casual and wonderful people

Cons

the company does not exist it was sold to brookdale senior living.

Advice to Management

should have sold your family the took you 23 yrs to build.

3. Manager

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

People, opportunity, office environment, and location.

Cons

None that I can think of.

5. CNA.. need more pay

Current Employee - CNA in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - CNA in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Love my residents and co-workers

Cons

Not enough overtime nor enough pay

Advice to Management

Really listen to employees

6. Really awful job.

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It gave me work experience.

Cons

I was pushed around a lot.

Wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great people. With many growth years, there have been lots of opportunities to learn and advance. Communication is good both within and between departments. Employees are treated to great gatherings, parties, and events.
    Great location next to the Olympic Sculpture park and Seattle Center. Many take advantage of walking along Elliott Bay, or working out at the company sponsored membership at Rain Fitness across the road.
    Very low turnover. Everyone is happy working here so few people leave.

Cons

With the growth of the Seattle office, one or two departments have become more fraternal and less cooperative with other teams. It's now common now to hear "That's not my job", instead of "Hang on, let me see what I can do." Hiring for open positions can be biased in favor of team member than someone from another department, or someone from outside the company.

Advice to Management

NA

8. Alz Assisted Living

Former Employee - Business Office Director
    Former Employee - Business Office Director

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors. Positive impact in families and the community. Nice environment and building. Furniture and decor was replaced every 2 years.

Cons

Low pay. Even though I was a director I was not exempt. Not much corporate support. Getting attached to residents then they pass away. Food was not that great. Frequent changes in management.

9. I worked at Emeritus Senior Living

Pros

Emeritus has been an absolutely wonderful place to work. My department really has established a great dynamic and the culture has been wonderful. Everyone is friendly and they hire truly amazing people.

Cons

Unfortunately, Emeritus is now Brookdale Senior Living and the work dynamics have changed significantly with the Seattle Office being eliminated and the new Brookdale policies. Still a great company to work at, just very different.

Brookdale is detached from the communities it should be supporting.

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was excited to be part of a large organization because of the potential of growth.

Cons

Brookdale structures the staff of it's builldings at a minimal level which creates burn out and resentment toward the company. Ironically the expectation is to continually push for higher levels of care without backing it with labor hours which creates an truly unsafe enviorment for frail and vulnerable residents. The employee retention rate for Directors and other key managers is very low which is unsettling for family and residents. IT is overwhelmed and cannot keep up with the continual failing computer issues. It is ytpically a 4-5 week turn around to get a new computer or have one repaired. While this has been acknowledged, there is no gratus if work is not completed timely. Lastly, there is no life/work balance. As an ED I routinely get non-emergency texts and calls from my Regional team on the weekend and inappropriate hours.

Advice to Management

Visit your communities. See the hard work that is being done on behalf of the residents and stock holders. Tell us we are doing great. Let us hear a message of "thanks" or give us an inspiring talk instead of the canned "we must please the stock holders" speech.

Corporate life is the good life

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing positive and laid back environment/culture, Free food and drinks regularly (stocked fridges) managers tried to take care of employees, provided regular, consistent feedback and even top level management had an open door policy.

Awesome coworkers, flexible schedule, monthly parties to celebrate birthdays, new hires and anniversaries, boozy Holiday party. Almost impossible to get fired. Some departments allowed dogs in the office.

Cons

Too many employees didn't pull their weight and nothing was done. Other employees asked to pick up the slack but never ramifications for the lazy one. We had several in our department who clearly to advantage of the managers trust by disappearing for hours on end and then didn't get their work done.

Too hard to move up and around unless you've been there for several years. Low turnover in most departments so openings were few and far between. I regularly asked my boss for additional work that wasn't available because others with longer tenure had already taken the projects.

Advice to Management

Shouldn't have merged. The employees loved working here and the environment you created.

Emeritus Senior Living Photos