Emeritus Senior Living

Updated 17 September, 2014
Updated 17 September, 2014
2.6

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • My team has been so supportive and I feel that I have the autonomy to make creative decisions that positively affect our employees and residents (in 4 reviews)

• Wages were good, Residents are wonderful, staff, Department Heads are great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes 10 to 20 times more money for doing nothing but demanding more out of care staff (in 7 reviews)

• No Christmas bonus to line staff (e (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Life Changing Career.....but very stressful!

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The residents, their families, and your staff.

Cons

The residents, their families, and your staff. :-)

Lay off of the constant conference calling. I understand that your building must be managed to the lowest of abilities but for those that are successful in their management it creates a great deal of stress and pulls you away from important community business. To the corporate team in Seattle....BE VERY CAUTIOUS OF WHO YOU PLACE IN YOUR DIVISIONAL ROLES!!!.... This was once the best company that I had every worked for and that quickly changed when an unprofessional know it all came into the divisional ops role and decided that the Emeritus culture was no longer going to be practiced in his region. The only thing that allowed me to get through each week was the support of my fantastic RDO...Mr. Lawson!

This job has been enjoyable and insightful

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Kingwood, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Kingwood, TX (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close to my home. Somewhat flexible schedule. Has been fun people to work with.

Cons

Change in administration, sometimes long hours

Show value for employees

Great now defunct company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed work environment, flexible hours and does a good job promoting a good culture. Throw monthly deck parties and celebrate holidays, especially Halloween, very well.

Cons

I've only worked for them while they were going through a merger so chaos reigned. No one was/is sure what the chain of command is. The established processes are falling apart and management is doing an awful job giving information out. Basic questions, like how to do transfers, are still being sorted out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wellness nurse

Former Employee - Wellness Nurse  in  Canton, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Wellness Nurse in Canton, OH (US)

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My RCD was amazing. I stayed until I moved. She helped me feel comfortable as a new nurse. Residents were amazing.

Cons

Pay is low. No consistent administration

Keep management

I work with a great group of people

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living for more than 5 years

Pros

There are relationships formed here where the residents become like your own family and that part of the job is very rewarding. There is also the ability to move up as they will hire from within you just need to be willing to put in the time.

Cons

The pay is average at best and for most positions the work you put in is much more than the compensation received.

Consider going back to the bonus money earned for that allowed all employees a chance to make extra money each and every month or pay the positions what they are worth in the first place for the jobs that they do each and every day.

I love working for Emeritus!

Current Employee - Cash Management  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Cash Management in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company culture is focused on our residents and employees. It's supportive and challenging.

Cons

Emeritus is merging with Brookdale Senior Living so the majority of the Seattle presence is being eliminated.

Great Experience

Former Employee - CNA/MAT  in  Broken Arrow, OK (US)
    Former Employee - CNA/MAT in Broken Arrow, OK (US)

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great employers, great pay.

Cons

Stresses of working in geriatrics.

Good teams to work with

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living for more than 10 years

Pros

enjoy the teams i work with and the ability to support others in making a positive work environment

Cons

no real cons at times it was difficult getting responses to requests, however responses eventually came

Emeritus-Seattle Office

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work culture, location, and work/life balance. Co-workers are extremely nice and fun. Employee Morale is good and fun events are frequent.

Cons

Career Growth is limited while compensation and benefits tend to be on the low end of the scale.

Good place to start a career and gain some entry level experience, but learning and growth opportunities are limited

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Emeritus Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flex hours, laid back office environment, some cool perks like half days every other Friday during the summer, a few great individual leaders/mentors

Cons

Accounting work was simplistic and not challenging at all, mostly consisting of babysitting and correcting the errors of untrained business office directors at the communities. No real learning opportunities or exposure to advanced accounting concepts, no audit exposure, etc. The experience here was limited and results in a lack of exit opportunities. Growth opportunities exist in terms of moving up within the department, but even that has a lack of variety and depth and is basically just managing people doing the same basic entry level work.

The accounting department also didn't do a good job of promoting. In my time there they moved at least two people into management who were great doers but terrible leaders, resulting in unhappy, mistreated staff. There were a few great people moved up also, but the percentage of misses was too high

Pay and benefits were both at the bottom of the Seattle market.

Worked for Emeritus Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!