Electronic Data Systems

Electronic Data Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Electronic Data Systems Chairman and Executive Vice President Joe Eazor

Joe Eazor

Pros
  • Flexibility and Dependability and work from home option (in 18 reviews)

• Good company and work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management & executive leadership during my time at EDS (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

It is Ok

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosjava is good tech skill

Conscomm is less than i thought

Downward spiral starting with "bestshoring" racing to hit bottom after HP takeover

Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsAbility to work with multiple clients with state of the art computing environments
    Automation of mundane task by tools to free up resources to concentrate on enhancing customer service
    Flexible work agreements (flextime and tele-commuting)
    Paid vacation and ability to take time-in-lieu for (some-billable) OT hours worked

ConsLong hours, with almost no advance notice given for after hours/weekend work, not because of crisis situations (which are part of the job) but due to lack of planning / proper communications by project managers / upper management / client delivery managers
    Deteriorating benefits and pension plan (from free to paid, from DB to DC)
    Very little advancement options unless you are a management fave
    Lack of training on new technologies needed to perform job functions
    Inefficient use of new tools and technologies, which, on the paper, look great, but fail to certain degrees in implementation.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to understand that price is not the only important factor when delivering services. The Wal-martization of the IT services industry has already lost the company clients, due to below par support received from some (not all) outsourcing locations outside North America. A global organization to provide around the clock support is a very fine idea, but that shouldn't come at the expense of quality of service and the "I can employ 10 (indians/brazillians/filipinos/<insert favourite offshore location inhabitants du jour> for the price of one US/Canadian employee" mindset.

Good to be Gone

Principal Consultant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsSpurts of real movement and enthusiasm
    Lot's of great people went through there
    Opportunities to learn and grow
    Was a good first and third job, but, not so sure anymore

ConsConstant executive churn
    No consistent executive leadership
    EDS was never realy able to take advantage of any strategies and it kept changing the organization and their focus
    Way too much spent on internal ratther than on external (market) matters

Advice to Senior ManagementEDS needs to find its way again. Are you in the services business anymore? If so, which services? Have you given up on consultiing services?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat working environment with friendly co-workers.

ConsToo much politics going on within the senior management. Employees are not motivated to contribute to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to encourage employees to become part of the company more.

Over the years the employee benefits become less and less and the work is becoming less and less interesting.

Senior Information Specialist (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsI cannot really think of a good reason to work for EDS. I seems that everytime you turn around the benfits are reduced (or you have to pay for them). The salary increases are minimum.

ConsNever really sure how long you will be employeed (i..e, Layoffs are always around the corner). There is not of lot of technical work now. Most of the work has beem transfered overseas. So I am currently doing non-technical work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember it is the employees that are billiable and generating the Revenue.

Grass is greener on the other side.

Infrastructure Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFellow employees are great to work with.

ConsVery little movement in the company. All the benefits have steadily eroded and pay raises are rarely more the 2% - 3%.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect. CEOs need to stop robbing the company,

I Love Working for EDS

Information Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsI feel that I my salary is excellent. I know I would not get this amount anywhere else.

ConsTime to complete training. We have a lot of online courses we can take, but when we are on billable projects we just don't have enough time to complete courses.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no comment at this time.

The current CEO is sending this company down the tubes only to stuff his pockets with cash.

Network Architect (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsAt least they pay you... just not very much. Some of us have reasonable work at home options, although Corporate does not seem to want anyone to telecommute anymore.

ConsVery poor salaries and compensation compared to EDS competitors and other IT companies in North America. Management are aware of this deficiency but explain to employees "we should be happy we are employed." Management are only concerned about "The EDS Way", which is apparently to treat employees like unwanted commodities, off-shore what you can and expect the clients to remain happy with lower quality service. EDS off-shores labor to cheaper countries with no plan of action and expects service to remain the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking about your employees and how they affect the success of the company. Consider their potential and what they are worth in a competitive market. And while you are at it, remember that unhappy staff equals unhappy clients.

left after 20 years

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Plano, TX (US)

Prostraining program
    outstanding employees
    worked on customer based IT solutions
    pay and benefits

Consproject deadlines (long hours)
    bad corp decisions in later years
    EDS was a very good company to work for in the 80s and 90s. Not as much in the 00s. Therefore, I left to pursue a better opportunity.

good company now HP

Prosgood salary good benefits package

Conshard to get increase in salary once started

Worked for Electronic Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!