Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

www.epri.com

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) – US – “EPRI Campus”

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) – US – “EPRI Campus”

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) President & CEO Michael W. Howard

Michael W. Howard

Great place to gain experience as a student

Student Employee - Finance (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsThe managers and employees here really make you feel like you are a part of their family.

ConsThe pay isn't the greatest for student employees but it's a good start.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate what needs to be done more often.

Great place for a summer internship

Intern (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsInteractions with my manager went smoothly when he was around. It helped me to make fast progress while constantly learning new things. If done in the appropriate department, this is definitely a good experience to complement one's studies (graduate studies in Engineering in my case).

ConsMy managers were often traveling (probably due to the summer season). Also, for a company with so diverse areas of research, everyone could benefit from more interactions between various departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and give more regular feedback on quality of work and progress toward project completion. Try and better tie projects to overall strategy of the company.

Awesome Job

ProsGreat environment for a finance intern.

ConsThe snack room is too close!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outside experience preferred

Senior Project Engineer/Scientist (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsExtremely talented technical staff; An opportunity to shape the industry; Good bonus and 401(k) plans; Opportunity to travel frequently if desired.

ConsExternal experience valued more than internal. Senior leadership can often come across as out-of-touch. Limited upward mobility makes promotions difficult to obtain.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your staff. Look more at substance rather than style. You have the ability to develop technical talent if you choose to do so.

Not what it used to be...

ProsGreat mission and very nice people.

ConsBeing driven into obscurity by politics and a weak leadership team. Used to be respected -- now seen as a necessary evil for some members. One interesting quote, "We hate writing your check every year but we have to do it as a gesture of kindness."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back in the game. You lost your passion and drive four years ago at least at it is getting worse every year. Every one of my colleagues is looking for a job.

Company is sinking fast, but not as fast as employee morale

Project Manager (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN (US)

ProsFlexible hours. Quick reimbursement on expense reports.

ConsManagement does not provide opportunity for career growth and development. There is very little opportunity for current employees to move into more senior positions, as the company almost always prefers to hire externally. The only way to break through glass ceiling is to leave the company. HR is the biggest gossip ring in the company, and very little concern is given to employee privacy. HR also fails to act on legitimate employee concerns. Project managers have little skill in being people managers. Project management training consists of navigating through SAP system, not dealing with subordinates.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about your current employees. Show us that you care about growing our careers, don't just say that you do in quarterly emails. Help us help you grow the company. Help us become an innovative company again, don't just say that we are. Admit to your mistakes and focus energy on making things right, not pointing fingers and playing the blame game.

Nice team players

ProsWe can learn a lot there

ConsSmall Company to work for

New Leadership Does Not Fit The Culture

ProsBeing a part of important innovative work

ConsLack of downward communication. Slow salary growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who are actually doing the work

Highly satisfying opportunity to work collaboratively to find solutions to issues relating to electric power.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsGreat way to build an early career in clean energy. Ability to gain significant industry expertise and become nationally / world-recognized in early-to-mid career, without needing to climb the EPRI corporate ladder. For a non-profit organization, the salary / bonus is very good. In

ConsSalary growth and promotions have historically been slow to moderate, particularly in early career. However, the ladder has been revamped with additional positions. Some employees are challenging and not innovative, but generally still great people.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on consistently bringing young talent into EPRI, even if they only remain 3-5 years. Good for people who think they would like to do a PhD, but decided not to for lifestyle reasons.

Great place to work as an Intern.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN (US)

ProsGreat people. All around, loved everyone I worked with.
    Laid back atmosphere.
    Free food (and good food at that) often once a week.

ConsNever got the feeling that what I was doing mattered much, but I was only an intern.
    I didn't always feel properly trained to do what I was asked to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)? Contribute to the Community!