Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsSalary was OK, benefits were good. The schools themselves were nice and the teachers seemed interested in the success of the students.

ConsAfter being recruited in to help with a specific problem I was laid off just one year later and given a small severance. It really messed up my career - I should never have taken this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe office culture was highly compartmentalized. I generated several good ideas to help the company, but these ideas were dismissed because they involved other departments.

Admissions representative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelping students is the only positive thing about this position.

ConsManagement pushing you to admit students into a $93,000 program and they do not have basic reading, computer or math skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoaching should be a must, instead of laying employees of when they don't meet all requirements.

Admission Representative

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsGreat people and salary. Work environment decent.

ConsSystems are out dated and business model needs to be retooled.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is not consistent with the job on the floor. The sales environment is not professional. The culture resembles an outdates business style from the 1950's while the competition is leading and servicing the client. The slump the company is facing will not be rectified with current system and out dated solutions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsGreat people on my team, very friendly work environment. Learned a lot in my time with the company and greatly value my experiences.

ConsNot a business I am interested in for the long haul. Don't necessarily agree with the business model that is in place.

Pick a different option

ProsLocation, benefits, not much else

ConsPay, hours, ethical standards, management

Media Services Analyst

Media Services Analyst (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsMost of the people you work with are great. Real people. Obviously you have your good managers and your bad ones. I've seen a few good ones in my time there and a few bad ones.
    You try to do what you can, working in an educational institution.

ConsUltimately, this for profit school is mostly about profit. As is the case in recent years, there wasn't a profit. The bottom line becomes more important. Cutting staff is seen as the best option. This leads to the detriment of the educational experience of the students.
    Your hard work may be appreciated, but it really doesn't mean much at the end of the day. It does not guarantee your position.

Fast paced and somewhat disorganized but overall good strategy.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsFast pace was appealing. Growing rapidly at the time especially in the online division. Never a dull moment. Several enjoyable co-workers and lasting memories.

ConsSome items of HR got lost in the fast paced culture. Much of the company values were lost by the time they made it to lower level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on employee retention. Duration of employment particularly in some areas of the company appears to be impeding financial progress and student attrition as well.

For Profit Schools May be Going Away

Business Development Representative (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsFlexible schedule, and good reimbursement for money spent.

ConsThe whole Business Development Dept was laid off at the Art Institutes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Mostly great job.

High School Representative (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsFreedom
    The people I worked with were great
    Summers off!
    Fun and rewarding at times. Loved it.

ConsThe pay
    Being a remote employee
    Corporate could make decisions on my job That had no bearing in my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little less macro managing departments.

Rewarding and filled with challanges

Tutor (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsFriendly people, flexible scheduling, company values, filled with challenges. EDMC was really flexible with time-off policies because i was a student.

Conssome slow days in my position

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing that i would personally change

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!