Education Management Corporation

Updated 15 September, 2014
Updated 15 September, 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Seeking Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees do care about the students, and helping them with a successful start through to graduation.
    Benefits are at par with many companies.

Cons

The company grew quickly and now it is trying to maintain its growth - there have been periodic layoffs already.

Announcements about new executives being hired seems to be a regular occurrence. The organization seems top-heavy.

Work here, but keep looking

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Salary was decent, considering the job.

Cons

Garbage management.

Do you enjoy being belittled? Do you enjoy feeling unappreciated? this job is for you.

Do your job.

The most ethically and morally bankrupt company bar none!

Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hand full of EEs with integrity, but there few and far between.

Cons

The most ethically and morally bankrupt company that I 've ever had the misfortune to work for. Opportunities are 100% based on who you're friends with. Management is blind to legitimate accomplishment in favor of personal agenda.

Purge the immature grade school management style.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Want to hate your life? Work for EDMC.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent compensation, the work itself wasn't difficult, room for lateral movement (no way you're going up though).

Cons

You'll have to interact with terrible people both in the work place and on the phone. You will be given goals (and micromanaged daily on those goals) that you won't be able to complete due to the incompetent student body you are forced to interact with, and you will probably begin to have a crisis of conscience as you understand that EDMC is solely meant to siphon Federal Title IV funding from the federal government by using students who should NOT be in college in the first place as the proxy. Literally a joke - and I can't believe it's still allowed to operate.

It's a despicable place, and I'm glad I'm gone. As it stands, the Department of Education is working to shut it down, and if you check its stock performance the last 18 months...well, you can see they're succeeding. I left on my own terms, and it's the best professional decision I've ever made.

However if you want to be in a work environment where everyone is basically a snake-oil salesman seeking only profit in the education world AND you have absolutely no job security (and you won't hit your goals 75% of the time) - AND you want to rip off disadvantaged people by putting them tens upon tens of thousands into debt for a degree that may be worth less than toilet paper - EDMC is the place for you!

The middle management needs to go due to how bloated their salaries are in exchange for the lack of production they provide. Also, get those resumes ready - the day of reckoning is coming. Get out while you still can. Me? I'm getting my popcorn ready.

Former veteran employee

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Great co-workers who support each other.

Cons

Poor compensation for very hard work. No incentive to be your best. No opportunities for upward mobility. Frozen management. Recent mass layoffs got rid of some good people, but kept the flotsam, the people who have adhered to the Peter Principle and survive purely on longevity, not excellence. Absolutely no respect or reward for successful veterans. EDMC has had many lawsuits and is a human resource nightmare. The company is struggling to survive as it twists in the wind, a result of the exposure of For Profit colleges and their lack of ethics. They will accept anyone ( 2.00 qualifies ) take their very high tuition payment and then abandon them very quickly with no support.

Take a hard look at how the enormous growth, from 18 colleges to over 50 in less than 11 years has damaged the future. Get rid of incompetent middle management and provide opportunities for your good, hard working, loyal workers to move up the ladder. Compensation sucks.

Unreasonable goals, poor lead, flow , by any means nessesary mentality.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, title and HOPE at first. Some colleagues were great. New campus

Cons

Revolving door , sell, sell, sell or be fired. The sales process is cleverly disguised as consultative counseling. The education is WAY over priced. 100k+ for a degree from a for profit art school.

Stop being so greedy. Reduce tuition, reduce your pay. Focus on student outcomes and debt or your company will continue to loose. Wake up! You can't turn people over as a way to show you are making progress. Wrong business model.

A difficult place to work and be happy

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Challenging environment lends itself to employees that are constantly learning and evolving; 401K match; ok time off benefits.

Cons

Incredibly unhappy workforce; no raises; thankless work environment;

Not a great working environment or experience

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were some people that were lovely to work with. Compensation could be very good, depending on your performance. Decent benefits as well, including health, vacation, etc. They did make an effort to train you prior to working in a fairly extensive training program.

Cons

No vision at all by leadership, which changed constantly. Not really the most professional environment I've been exposed to either; it was basically like being in college (most employees were right out of college and fraternized a lot).

A work environment like this needs supportive, consistent leadership. I would consider working on that.

Good experience just the company is doing awful right now

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, use to be better before they got rid of the matrix that gave you commission, fun people to work with, solid benefits like 6% company match and health insurance.

Cons

Mandatory overtime if you are stuck on the phone with a student, 300 dial days, mass layoffs. There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time. The school just sold its Art Institute of Pittsburgh building for extra money and is leasing it out, not to mention its stock price has dropped a ton because of the recent government regulations. Also lots of lying to students to get them to enroll. I remember my manager once talking to a student and told him he understands the students situation because he himself has 2 kids, even though he had none. When I confronted him on it he called it "relating to the student."

Get better people to run your company at the higher up level

Going downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ventura, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

All operations under one roof, good materials, competent workshop instructors

Cons

Outdated inefficient IT department, lack of Senior Management and HR, inability to change and adapt to new technologies

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!