Education Management Corporation

Updated 27 October, 2014
Updated 27 October, 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 18 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work overall

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work good pay and benefits.

Cons

Most have a college degree for any promotions. The company seems shakey a lot of things in the news about poor company performance.

wonderful

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

great managers just an overall good work

Cons

no room to advance nywhere

Neutral Student Worker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I always suggest this option to fellow students, especially those that have a hard time with scheduling. It's very great for a student looking for fair work/life balance without worrying about reporting to their employer every little thing that changes in their school schedule. I have two work study jobs at the school, and I definitely enjoy working with other students.

Cons

Can only work 20 hours a week. Pay is average, and at only 20 hours a week isn't enough to keep a student afloat when faced with real world responsibilities such as housing and bills from the school. Especially when looking at how much a student has to pay to be a part of this average school system. More perks would be nice, "free copies" isn't very ground breaking.

Filter through who is employed as a teacher more regularly, many more passionate faculty is cut for not working at the company as long as their less-than-enthusiastic peers. Have a more clear outlook on classes and policies, they change way too frequently. Look into offering student workers more perks since pay is average.

It started out great; however, the company is always making changes and not consistent with their mission in decisions

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Good people work here. Compensation is pretty good.

Cons

Always cutting benefits, not consistent with company decisions, vision isn't the same across the board which causes disgruntled employees. No work/life balance - always asked to work on the weekends for events and they are always changing the dates of the events, so no one has any organization of what is really going to happen.

Value your employees and things could turn around. Stop cutting benefits and making everyone work harder. Keep it simple and allow the individual campus locations to have more independence to know what works in their particular market vs. micromanaging from corporate level assuming every school is the same.

Declining in morale, day by day,

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Jose, CA (US)

Pros

Giving students who might not otherwise be able to afford a traditional college the opportunity to earn a post-secondary degree is one of the best aspects of this job, despite the harsh light of Congress on for-profit schools within the last few years. Locally, the faculty that teach at the schools are giving 100% to student success.

Cons

Public perception and corporate management make the portfolio of schools under this company’s umbrella, uninviting places to work. Local faculty know better what works for their students but are consulted after the fact when policies are made, with little chance for change. E.g., Policies that might be appropriate for low-cost states in the heartland, may be impractical in coastal states with denser populations, but nonetheless, senior management aims to push the policies through nationally.

Be upfront and non-obtuse with your correspondence to employees and they’ll appreciate you for it.

It was good while it lasted.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed being part of enthusiastic teams who clearly saw the benefits of the education offered at the EDMC family of schools. Benefits were good and salaries were above average.

Cons

Changes made in the past few years to the benefits package actually punished their more loyal, long-term employees. It was like a slap in the face. Then you get laid off with not even a hint of warning. After 15+ years of service, I feel very disrespected. The severance package was decent but it doesn't help you deal with the emotional effects of losing a job at which you spent the majority of your adult life.

The company has become too unstable. You never know when the ax is going to fall. The atmosphere has become very tense. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Yes, we should be primarily about the students. But you also need to treat your employees with more respect and care.

a good soruce to provide for my and my family

Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made a good living.

Cons

sometime the hrs were long.

you fire people who work hard, God be with you when they fire you,.

Good people but poor management

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people on the "indian" level vs. "chief" level.

Cons

Management is not really focused, doesn't appropriately focus the troops. Management recently dropped the 401K match, a 6 % pay cut was not good news.

Focus on a reasonable number of objectives, quit chasing the next shiny object. I believe the pay is reasonable for what we do. The facilities are nice.

Sadly, a sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The amazing work the students created - they had such talent and passion. Certain teams had great people, a lot were there 10+ years for good reason. Benefits were great. Continuing education opportunities for employees and their immediate family.

Cons

Slow adoption to new technologies. Closed minded to new process improvements. Morale was bad and the culture didn't foster the creative education we were supporting.

Remember why you are there - for the students - and focus on them.

My experience was a positive growing and learning experience.

Current Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a position you can be proud of. You will be changing lives for a living, and there is no job beyond that in which is satisfying.

Cons

Meeting Expectations, sometimes can be a little nerve-racking.