Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there(in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family(in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time(in 13 reviews)

Review of BMC, which is under EDMC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed all the perks that this company offers, such as tuition assistants, EDMC Perks website, and PTO. For the most part I enjoyed working here, I was given opportunity to make myself worthy and challenged day in and day out.

ConsEmployees were overworked for what they got paid. I was in a smaller school setting with about 250 students and my job was cut, Records Assistant, and so my boss had to take over all the duties which she is already doing Registrar and HR duties. It was unfortunate that my job was cut but if management actually looked at what was being done it was a stupid move.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop over working your employee, this is one reason why there is a high turnover rate.

Stepping Stone

Accountant/Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Proswork-life balance good, flex schedule

Conslow ceiling for potential growth.

good student job positions

Librarian (Student Worker) (Current Employee) North Hollywood, CA (US)

ProsIf you are a student at Ai, its helps alot by having an on campus job at your school. Its extra finances that could help you and since you are there for long hours anyways. Helps you recognize faculty and staff, directors, and even students

Consits an average salary job just to help you get by. Not that many positions and you have to prove that you financially is within a range that needs the source of income.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good corporation to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits - insurance, paid time off, holidays

ConsGovernment scrutinizes for-profit schools so our work can get bogged down in red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to stop paying the lobbyists to change the government's mind. Put the money back into the students and reform

Great place to learn and advance your skill set

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsWith such a wide range of products / projects being worked on at any given moment, there is so much to learn. You'll be a better person just 6 months into working here if you are motivated and willing to learn.

I will and have recommended friends and family to work here, as I see first hand just what experience can be gained from this business.

ConsWith the current political administration's attacks on for profit education, it's hard to say where we are going currently and where we will stand in the next coming years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more engaged with employees in keeping them in the loop at where the company projects are going and how it'll benefit the company. All to often projects happen with no understanding of what and why it's happening.

Not a great working environment or experience

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThere were some people that were lovely to work with. Compensation could be very good, depending on your performance. Decent benefits as well, including health, vacation, etc. They did make an effort to train you prior to working in a fairly extensive training program.

ConsNo vision at all by leadership, which changed constantly. Not really the most professional environment I've been exposed to either; it was basically like being in college (most employees were right out of college and fraternized a lot).

Advice to Senior ManagementA work environment like this needs supportive, consistent leadership. I would consider working on that.

A difficult place to work and be happy

ProsChallenging environment lends itself to employees that are constantly learning and evolving; 401K match; ok time off benefits.

ConsIncredibly unhappy workforce; no raises; thankless work environment;

Good experience just the company is doing awful right now

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsDecent pay, use to be better before they got rid of the matrix that gave you commission, fun people to work with, solid benefits like 6% company match and health insurance.

ConsMandatory overtime if you are stuck on the phone with a student, 300 dial days, mass layoffs. There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time. The school just sold its Art Institute of Pittsburgh building for extra money and is leasing it out, not to mention its stock price has dropped a ton because of the recent government regulations. Also lots of lying to students to get them to enroll. I remember my manager once talking to a student and told him he understands the students situation because he himself has 2 kids, even though he had none. When I confronted him on it he called it "relating to the student."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better people to run your company at the higher up level

Going downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ventura, CA (US)

ProsAll operations under one roof, good materials, competent workshop instructors

ConsOutdated inefficient IT department, lack of Senior Management and HR, inability to change and adapt to new technologies

A Student of AI

Student Tutor (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA (US)

ProsEducation was mediocre. Only stayed because of some esteemed teachers and how interested they PERSONALLY were with their students. If it wasn't for them-- there is no reason I would have stayed.

ConsI was a tutor at this place. Work was alright but I think the reflection upon my own financial state is of more importance here.

Education Management Corporation is exactly as others have said: completely unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely add a portfolio requirement and accept only students who have a CHANCE of doing something with the education they receive at the Art Institutes.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!