Education Management Corporation

Updated 15 August, 2014
Updated 15 August, 2014

2.3

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Admissions Advisor AIoP Military Division

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros

Free schooling , good pay and pretty good hours. I liked my managers and we all worked together...Worked with some great people .

Cons

Cost of some of the programs is not covered , entirely, by FA. We weren't encouraged to tell people.

No advice

Seeking Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Employees do care about the students, and helping them with a successful start through to graduation.
    Benefits are at par with many companies.

Cons

The company grew quickly and now it is trying to maintain its growth - there have been periodic layoffs already.

Announcements about new executives being hired seems to be a regular occurrence. The organization seems top-heavy.

Not a great working environment or experience

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

There were some people that were lovely to work with. Compensation could be very good, depending on your performance. Decent benefits as well, including health, vacation, etc. They did make an effort to train you prior to working in a fairly extensive training program.

Cons

No vision at all by leadership, which changed constantly. Not really the most professional environment I've been exposed to either; it was basically like being in college (most employees were right out of college and fraternized a lot).

A work environment like this needs supportive, consistent leadership. I would consider working on that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A difficult place to work and be happy

Pros

Challenging environment lends itself to employees that are constantly learning and evolving; 401K match; ok time off benefits.

Cons

Incredibly unhappy workforce; no raises; thankless work environment;

Good experience just the company is doing awful right now

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Decent pay, use to be better before they got rid of the matrix that gave you commission, fun people to work with, solid benefits like 6% company match and health insurance.

Cons

Mandatory overtime if you are stuck on the phone with a student, 300 dial days, mass layoffs. There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time. The school just sold its Art Institute of Pittsburgh building for extra money and is leasing it out, not to mention its stock price has dropped a ton because of the recent government regulations. Also lots of lying to students to get them to enroll. I remember my manager once talking to a student and told him he understands the students situation because he himself has 2 kids, even though he had none. When I confronted him on it he called it "relating to the student."

Get better people to run your company at the higher up level

Going downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ventura, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA (US)

Pros

All operations under one roof, good materials, competent workshop instructors

Cons

Outdated inefficient IT department, lack of Senior Management and HR, inability to change and adapt to new technologies

Review of BMC, which is under EDMC

Pros

I enjoyed all the perks that this company offers, such as tuition assistants, EDMC Perks website, and PTO. For the most part I enjoyed working here, I was given opportunity to make myself worthy and challenged day in and day out.

Cons

Employees were overworked for what they got paid. I was in a smaller school setting with about 250 students and my job was cut, Records Assistant, and so my boss had to take over all the duties which she is already doing Registrar and HR duties. It was unfortunate that my job was cut but if management actually looked at what was being done it was a stupid move.

Stop over working your employee, this is one reason why there is a high turnover rate.

Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Accountant/Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant/Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

work-life balance good, flex schedule

Cons

low ceiling for potential growth.

good student job positions

Current Employee - Librarian (Student Worker)  in  North Hollywood, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Librarian (Student Worker) in North Hollywood, CA (US)

Pros

If you are a student at Ai, its helps alot by having an on campus job at your school. Its extra finances that could help you and since you are there for long hours anyways. Helps you recognize faculty and staff, directors, and even students

Cons

its an average salary job just to help you get by. Not that many positions and you have to prove that you financially is within a range that needs the source of income.

Good corporation to work for.

Pros

Great benefits - insurance, paid time off, holidays

Cons

Government scrutinizes for-profit schools so our work can get bogged down in red tape

Time to stop paying the lobbyists to change the government's mind. Put the money back into the students and reform

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!