Education Management Corporation

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros:
  • "The Human Resource team is helpful and the employee benefits are great"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family"
    in 11 reviews
  • "high pressure sales to prospective college students"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The Value of Talent

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a Fast pace work environment

ConsManagement should try a democratic/collaborative leadership style when managing admissions team and team would feel valued and appreciated, as a result productivity would increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider promoting a diverse management team in the Admissions Department.

Evil Place

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Prosthere are no pros to working here. whatsoever leave your morals at the door if you want to work here whatsoever leave your morals at the door if you want to work here

Consdishonesty is a way of life...not for the ethical person...nothing to do with education whatsoever leave your morals at the door if you want to work here

Don't fool yourself into thinking that this is about education...

Graduate Admissions (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThey pay is certainly nothing to complain about but is it worth it when you could very well be without a job at any given moment? Is it worth it to stare at the walls of your cubicle and slowly die inside as you convince people who often times need an education (community college would be better suited for most) to enroll? Of course, when he or she fails a class, it's your fault... ridiculous.

ConsThere are too many to list. I've worked in education for many years, am a PhD candidate, and have taught college-level courses at various institutions. This is a mockery of education, a waste of tax dollars, a means of taking advantage of vulnerable populations, and has no right to call itself "education". It was very rare that I actually felt good for finding the right fit for a student (it's only good if they live in a rural area and need additional courses for certification, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementThink long and hard about what an education should be and what it is at your institution and don't kid yourself with the fluff. You know the truth.

review

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Prosthis company is a significant player in an established industry, geographically disbursed with various locations an several states in north america

Consthis company pays low salaries and has been in a continuous state of reorganization and outsourcing for three years or more. company sales have been flat or declining for over two years.

Learned a great deal unfortunately my position was eliminated

Pitts, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible work environment, ability to work from home and also flexible for work hours. Office was close to my home 15 minutes away.

ConsDid not have the ability to move forward in technology to enhance my job skills and career with in EDMC. Management overlooked me to get training to widen my skill set.

They are a great company to work for

Accounts Receivables (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are great in the work place

ConsI have nothing but great things to say about edmc

Great job under the right department and manager.

Recovery Specialist (Former Employee)
Greentree, PA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, great co-workers, generous paid holidays. high earning potential by reaching collecting goal each month.

ConsDishonest management, too many frequent layoffs, lack of respect for non managerial employees time and previous accomplishments. They only allow 10 mins breaks, demands nearly 200 calls a day in an 8 hour work shift, with a monthly goal of collecting larger amounts of money ranging from 15k-100k. They have a system where if you do not hit you monthly goal in four months they will terminate your employment, stating your not meeting thiere performance goals. In addition at any point in your journey whether your a long time successful employee or not they can tell you they have to terminate your employment due to "things not working out" "budget cuts" and also "combination termination". Its a very unstable workplace to try to build a family or . You can only really financially plan your future 3 months at a time working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people not robots.

Worst job of my career.

I worked at Education Management Corporation

ProsDecent pay for entry level positions.

ConsFocus on sales and numbers. I worked for the "Art Institute" branch of EDMC. The Associate Directors of Admission positions were a total joke. While this is really a completely entry level sales position, the title is inflated in an effort to convince unsuspecting student targets that they're speaking to a higher up in the organization. There is a focus on getting NUMBERS of students enrolled and no focus whatsoever on the quality of those students. This is an online school, and ADAs are encouraged to convince people to enroll, even knowing that those individuals don't have (and can't afford computers).

Working for a school that is partly owned by an investment bank is an exercise in contradictions

Instructor (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood toys for teachers and opportunities for teaching experiences

Conselimination of as many positions and benefits as possible

Advice to Senior ManagementEducation for profit- Really? Maximizing profit and maximizing education can be mutually exclusive at times. Which master will you follow?

More work than you will ever want, not really worth it

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

Prosdecent pay. good benefits. My co-workers are my family.

ConsIf you have a family, you will never see them. You will work saturdays, evenings. Upper Management (EDMC) which controls the campus I work for is pretty much clueless, greedy, inconsistent in implementing the frequent policy change. They won't let go of abusive higher management because they make their "numbers". Hostile working environment. This company is hemorrhaging and there have been frequent layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees! Out workloads have doubled! We are stressed out and cannot keep up with the frequent policy changes.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 233 reviews are posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.