Edelman Reviews

Updated 20 October, 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 95 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, junior colleagues keep things going

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Collaborative atmosphere, fun workplace, great office. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

Communications are often unclear. Senior staff sometimes seem unappreciative.

One of the most innovative employers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leading edge employee engagement strategies, a true commitment from leadership to valuing contributions of employees, independently owned - have been able to keep the feel of a family owned business on a global level

Cons

Bad behavior of leaders at the local level is often overlooked, work life balance can be a challenge to find

I love this job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

-Senior Management is very accessible and easy to approach
    -Tons of opportunities for career development
    -Amazingly talented co-workers
    -Beautiful office space
    -Tons of creativity and news ideas

Cons

-Can be high stress (is fast paced)
    -Can be a bit clique-ish. but in general the people are great

Senior Management is amazing!!!

Incredible talent, crushing hours

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best talent and the best clients. Opportunity to learn a lot of facets and best practices of the PR business. Excellent perks and benefits.

Cons

Hours can be long and unpredictable. Switch groups, accounts, etc. or risk being pigeonholed. The transition from traditional PR to what Richard Edelman calls "communication marketing" is uncertain and frustrating at times, though I think that's unavoidable.

Managers need to try new things too, but sometimes it feels like we're too expensive to be allowed to take risks.

<3 Edelman

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, growth opportunities, value, all great.

Cons

Work/life balance is what you'd expect working at the world's largest PR agency - if you do your research you'll know this coming in.

A breath of fresh air. I'm beyond happy being here.

Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly inclusive culture. People are fun and social and welcoming. I feel respected, encouraged, and supported in my role here. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of this team. Edelman is doing some groundbreaking things--no longer just in the PR world, they are a social agency doing advertising and interdisciplinary marketing for huge brands. I'm honored to be a part of it.

Cons

I honestly don't have much to complain about. We work in a very competitive industry, so there are (of course) late nights and difficult client demands, but that's just par for the course. Everyone brings their A game and hustles to make a contribution.

Keep doing what you're doing!

What an amazing place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, the global network, the firm's reputation, the benefits...the list goes on. As a junior employee, there is a lot of opportunity for growth and you have the chance to experience many different things and move up the ladder quickly.

Cons

You will work a lot, no doubt about that. Salary is a little low but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Superb company culture

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Excellent atmosphere,
    Great Training. HR really do take an interest in every person. You are made to feel like an individual and there are excellent opportunities.
    Fab clients
    Promotions are given - but it can take a while.

Cons

Filling out a timesheet for every hour of the day each week>
    There does seem to be some favouritism - but then there is in most companies

Amazing career opportunities if you go grab them

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman truly does have some of the best in the business working here and the bench is very deep. The opportunities to learn from experts are vast, whether you want to know about financial communications, paid media, digital, celebrity sponsorships you name it, there is someone here that can teach you (and your clients) about it. If you put yourself out there and actively try to make connections within the agency, especially with senior leadership, you will be rewarded with strong experiences, promotions and direct feedback and mentorship in whatever direction interests you.

Cons

It is fairly easy to fall into mediocrity and be lost in this big agency. If you're keeping clients happy, especially a larger client, then you're often just let be to do your thing. Many managers won't push people if they're doing a good job at their baseline tasks. In order to really grow and experience the best parts of Edelman you have to be proactive and go and grab something above and beyond your current remit, otherwise it's too easy to be lost in this large company. An entrepreneurial, go getter spirit is very rewarded at Edelman, everything else is kind of ignored.

Senior management has a strong vision for the company, but it's not always communicated all the way down how we can have an impact. Tell even AAEs how they can get involved in making a new business goal a reality, make the tasks specific and the barrier low to getting people involved in the 'above and beyond' and you'll likely find a lot more superstars popping up. I think we loose quality talent that could be "superstar" but they are perhaps quiet and aren't clamoring for opportunities, so we never get a chance to see them shine. The squeaky wheels, who may not be the most talented, generally get the opportunities.

A firm of professionals dedicated to providing smart, creative and strategic counsel and who love the work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

The people are smart, creative and strategic -- they enjoy the work and are committed to delivering great counsel. It's a supportive collegial work environment. There is definitely a sense of shared mission and everyone is ready to pitch in to help deliver impressive work. It's a supportive culture and a fun office with a real sense of community. Leadership is committed to social purpose.

Cons

No meaningful cons -- it's a terrific place to work.