Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work-life balance isn't as good as it could be, but that is probably true everywhere"
    in 106 reviews
  • "Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate"
    in 85 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

excellent

Contractor (Current Employee)
Chennai (India)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Prosthey want us to work like independent contractors

Consworking full time is a drawback

Great place to learn, grow and be challenged

Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are great - from bosses, colleagues to administrative staff. The opportunity to work across the network in other markets and collaborate closely with colleagues in other offices is great as well. The company also emphasises the need for continuous learning, so training is a key benefit. Some senior leaders also show genuine concern for their staff career development, and work towards moving staff in direction of growth. For example, helping them specialise in certain areas or connecting them to a specialist in the area for mentorship.

ConsDespite being the largest PR agency in the world, Singapore, etc., and having some of the best known brands in the world as clients, there is still a relentless push and drive for new business to meet targets. These targets are presumably KPIs set for senior management, but they put very heavy responsibility on consultants - from CEs to Managers to do the bulk (sometimes ALL the heavy lifting) on new business. This, in addition to an already heavy client workload. There is no reward for non-directors if the targets are met.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm is growing too fast and I fear that this rapid evolution will cause Edelman to lose alot of what I think makes it stand out. People will burn out and leave and Edelman will need to rebuild its talent base from scratch, lose quality people and its reputation for quality thinking and execution.

Meh

Account Supervisor (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat name, prestige, you will learn a lot about PR and the industry that you can use throughout your career. There are a lot of ways to get involved and learn more. Good benefits too.

ConsTime management, company has a problem practicing what it preaches and can make it difficult to trust what they say. There is a disconnect between what the senior people think Edelman and the Edelman work experience is and what it actually is. Not a good place for working mothers unless you're at a high enough level. Does not value quieter, thoughful approaches so not a place for introverts.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to force everyone to be the Edelman ideal and actually focus on people's strengths. Practice what your preach. Respect people's home lives (for real, not just lip service). Value loyalty and the people who aren't agency-hopping a little more.

4 years at the company

Senior Account Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat work culture, amazing opportunities

Consnot consistent talent between offices

Don't be fooled by all these reviews--they're fake, look at the dates.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Edelman full-time

ProsEdelman has great name recognition and big name clients.

ConsEdelman tends to rest on its long standing reputation and sheer global size, not innovative work. Similar to other conglomerates, billable hours are valued over new creative ideas for clients.

Great learning experience but not for a long-term career path

Jakarta (Indonesia)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at a large firm such as Edelman gives you the exposure and the opportunity of working with some of the biggest brands/key players in various industries. You are constantly challenged by different issues and thus your learning curve would be greatly exponential. You learn not only from the people you work with but also from the various clients that you work with; each end gives you different and extremely useful insights and knowledge.

ConsThere is quite a large gap between the junior and senior management level, hence the lack of support and guidance given to the team members executing the tasks. The biggest learning can come form having to figure out what to do and through trial and error process directly with the clients. Too much office politics and blockage for those who actually wants to learn and excel. Turn-over rates within certain divisions or under certain people are very high. Although the working environment is fun in the informal sense, some upper-management level superiors are professionally below expectations. Internal admins are chaotic and hence crucial things such as performance appraisals and permanent contracts of employment are often neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your resources; be more hands-on and give support, guidance and follow-ups. Not all of us are in this for acknowledgment but a little token of appreciation would be great even if it's only informally.

AAE

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsAs with any large company, you have access to a lot more resources. You are also able to work on a wide variety of big brand name clients. A solid resume builder.

ConsYou work long hours and are not compensated well. Benefits are good, the people are solid, but the salary is low.

Edelman Singapore: Fast & Furious; Come if you're single not married

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery fast paced environment with a very international team; regional hub for Asia and incredibly satisfying work can be achieved here; great exposure and you're never confined to just the Singapore market; great fighting spirit and good team work; your opportunities is limitless when you want to grow and expand from Singapore. You also learn to be very independent.

Cons-There has been a change of leadership recently, so people are still adjusting to a new MD and a new regional CEO - whose styles were very different from the previous MD (who has since moved to North Asia)
-Very long hours (average of 12-13 hours per day) including weekends sometimes, which means it's daunting for colleagues who have families to go back to
-With a big office, there will be cliques that form, which breeds gossip and back-stabbing, which is damaging to the morale of the people
-MD is always canceling last minute on her appointments with people, making people feel they are not prioritized. It's always business first, people second.
-Disadvantageous for women who want to have children and remain in this office. Most women leave when they want to start a family. Ironic because the MD is a woman, but not enough priority goes to protecting and giving more benefits to women who want to have families.
-Incompetent HR function, with little to no attention given to colleagues. Very little empowerment from the top to protect juniors and even middle management.
-Managers and below do not have laptops, and there are no work-from-home policy, which is ridiculous. Not flexible.
-Changes are slow in this office. Not fast enough - so people leave out of frustration.

Advice to Senior Management1. Consider serious HR changes to better benefit the people.
2. MD needs to pay attention to the people and not just the business. Take internal initiatives seriously
3. Women will continue leaving the agency without more protection or policies to give them the assurance that they can be a mother and be successful in Edelman Singapore

Big Talent Big Ideas

EVP (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsWickedly talented and smart colleagues. Creative risk takers who think differently to solve client needs. Collegial, fun, casual. Great community. As a private company the firm invests in takent and stays ahead of the tech curve.

ConsNothing substantive. Growing fast and need more office space asap. Preferably in our amazing building.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrab more office space in the building. Improve the cafe! Keep hiring great talent.

Office Manager

Office Manager (Current Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInternational environment
Multicultural company
Modesty of the senior management team

ConsEverything is possible!
We can do, because we work differently

Advice to Senior Managementshare info sometimes already known by the team :-)

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 802 reviews are posted anonymously by Edelman employees.