Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work-life balance isn't as good as it could be, but that is probably true everywhere"
    in 106 reviews
  • "Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate"
    in 85 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for and great people to work with!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

ProsMy colleagues are all smart and dedicated to their work and the energy is contagious. Leadership genuinely cares about the employees.

ConsYou work on the demands of clients, so work loads can vary dramatically

A lonely road for rockstars

I have been working at Edelman

ProsIt is not normal for people to spend their entire careers at one agency. But Edelman has achieved a culture where many people are happy to stay. If you are a rockstar, you can beat your own path at Edelman. You will find people who are smart, driven, creative and focused on achieving real impact in the real world. You will find a vast base of clients who trust Edelman to steward bold ideas forward. Opportunities abound.

ConsMiddle management often pays homage to "big ideas" but, for the most part, perpetuates the status quo. Talented thinkers often find a way -- but too often, they're finding a way around their supervisors. Or, just as bad, they are given a green light but no resources to achieve their goal.

Also, the cliquishness between divisions is borderline unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBust up bureaucracy. Help monetize new ideas.

Great learning ground

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEdelman is undoubtedly a thought leader. The vision, values and quality of senior management are among the best in the industry. The fact that one is working with people of such high calibre, encourages people to outperform.

ConsExtremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted. Increasing number of layers in a matrix structure slows down decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage work-life balance for staff

Great place to work and grow a career in communications consulting

I have been working at Edelman

ProsLots of opportunity - for growth, great client programs and great client brands
Strong teams and talent

ConsNot necessarily a con - but it's a fast-paced environment with high expectations from clients and teams.

Great culture! As with any employer, there's room for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros- The opportunity to work with amazing clients who highly respect Edelman
- Great company-wide client work overall. Everyone at the company is high performing and successful.
- Great internal resources to address any and every client need possible. Clients love Edelman!
- Great culture, friendly people, and great worldwide networking opportunities
- Great benefits overall (PTO on your birthday, pet adoption stipend, generous holiday schedule, great health insurance coverage, etc.)
- For an agency environment, Edelman is very friendly to career-driven individuals who want to start a family or have a family
- Great place for women in leadership positions
- The company is starting to compete more with ad agencies, integrated marketing agencies, etc.

Cons- Account team members often get "stuck" on one account because an account may require 100% of an employee's time; as a result, career growth can become stagnant
- Junior employees are underpaid (but that is also the case at most agencies)
- Because of the size of the company, great talent is overlooked and amazing people get passed up for promotion far too often. The promotion cycle is political and hurts morale.
- Lack of office and meeting room space can make it challenging to be productive
- Though Edelman is independent, it is still highly profit-driven, and I did sometimes sense that senior management was more concerned about profit than employee happiness

Advice to Senior ManagementThe industry standard is to pay junior talent a certain amount, which is pretty low, especially for the San Francisco market. I think Edelman could break this cycle and give junior workers a more generous salary, especially considering its financial health. This would relieve the pressure during the promotion cycle.

Strong work ethic, lots of potential for growth

Account Director (Current Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThe network is amazing and the opportunities to work with big global teams is awesome. The very high standard or work is also rewarding

ConsSome teams are on the small side so working at Edelman can be tough for those not working autonomously.

Global exposure guaranteed

Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEdelman gives you an opportunity to work with some of the most renowned global brands across verticals and also train under seasoned industry experts.

Apart from this, the HR policies are flexible and benefits offered to the employees are helpful

ConsNo cons as such

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Management can consider expanding their digital practice presence across locations in India

Accessible senior management, high turnover

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are smart and senior management accessible. I worked at Edelman internationally in the mid-2000s, and had a chance to work directly with the CEO. Fantastic opportunity, and I was just an account executive in my mid-twenties.

ConsLow pay and high turnover. Such is agency life I suppose.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick your people based on merit.

Inspiring

London, England (UK)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

ProsEdelman is widely regarded for its Trust Barometer, which not only distinguishes the firm but acts as a foundation for much of the work the agency does. As a fiercely independent but still leading and very international operation, the culture, the people and the clients that Edelman retains are truly inspiring.

ConsFor all of the reasons I just mentioned, the bar on quality is very high at Edelman. This is obviously a good thing, but obviously also does create a certain amount of pressure to always be better than the day before. There's a certain amount of stress that goes along with that.

excellent

Contractor (Current Employee)
Chennai (India)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Prosthey want us to work like independent contractors

Consworking full time is a drawback

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 802 reviews are posted anonymously by Edelman employees.