Ecolab

Ecolab Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.

Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• You will also get a company vehicle to take home with fuel and expense cards(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60(in 33 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work(in 23 reviews)

Great Employer if you have the right lifestyle.

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsGreat Benefits, Training and Support.
    R&D constantly coming out with new and improved products & equipment.

ConsFocusing on Sales as well as Servicing you're customer base (24/7) means Hours of Work can get out of control at times.

A constantly changing, challenging environment.

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsChallenges you to be your best, opportunity to prioritize and meet many entrepreneurs, while knowing that you are offering something of value to help them with their business.

ConsSome days can be much longer than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger hours for the help phone line for field work

not like it used to be

Territory Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosmake your own schedule,access to a vehicle,decent benefits,possibility to make good money if you push it,decent vacation time,decent support from some peers

Consworking 24/7, work a couple weekends a month, revolving door district managers every couple of years,always more admin stuff to do daily, poor training program, definite old boys club atmosphere,always want more all the time unrealistic budget expectations

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your front line workers. take an interest in your employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm amazed at how terrible this company is...

Territory Representative (Former Employee)

ProsCompany van, benefits, company stock plan, RRSP match plan, experience looks great on the resume.

ConsDon't be fooled by the long list of benefits that this company offers. Joining this company as a TR amounts to what is essentially indentured servitude. If there was a way to give this company an even lower score then I have I would. I seriously wish that I had taken heed of the other negative reviews that I have seen before jumping on to this ship.

This job will ruin your life. You will quickly find yourself working 12-15 hour days just to keep your head above water, this translates to $10.76-$13.46/hr. If you somehow manage to accomplish the insurmountable amount of work you will be rewarded by being up rooted and sent to another territory.

The amount of customers that we are expected to deal with coupled with the massive territories we are responsible for is completely ridiculous . Its ok though you can stay in a hotel and the company will pick up the tab. Of course you will have to apply the charges to your personal credit card and Accounts Payable will make every effort possible to drag their feet in cutting you a check all of this after you have had to hound your manager to approve your expenses in the first place. A point which brings me to the management, I'm truly baffled at the level of incompetence that has been displayed on the management level. My DM is nearly unreachable, if you ever need help you would have better luck just sending emails and voice messages straight into a black hole because the result you will get is the same, no response. Don't worry you will hear from the DM from time to time but usually only once there is a major issue and it will simply be a ham-fisted attempt to cover his own back side, if it happens to help you in the process then great.

Corporate Accounts only function seems to be to torment everyone that does not work in corporate accounts. Spite driven interdepartmental politics will result in you getting tossed under the bus because it is guaranteed that you will get in the middle of of some high level posturing and it seems to be accepted practice for everyone to us the TR's as human shields.

Finally this job is advertised as a sales job with some service. This is false advertising in every sense of the term. You had better get accustomed to getting your hands dirty because you will be a service person dressed like a sale person. I suggest that you don't wear anything that you don't want ruined.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has a lot of potential to be an incredible place to work. Adjusting the work load to something manageable would be a great start. Removing management that put their interests ahead of the companies would also be a wise move. You have a lot of talented and hard working people in the field give them the support they need to do the job so you don't lose them. The TR's are the face of the company to your customers do you really want them to be miserable?

Crazy

Route Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you want to work anywhere in the world.

ConsHave no family life. Be treated by retarded management as idiots.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the nepotistic hiring of people based solely on their ability to sell. Get some decent man-managers. There are absolutely NO leaders.

ecolab best in corp politics- employee turnover very high

Clerk (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe best politics ever- even politicans can learn from Ecolab Canada management. They make CA$ like hell [in billions literally] paint a very rosy outlook in interview, then show you the dirty reality after you sign the paper.

ConsThe worst spenders. Almost every dept head is a dictator. out of 670 employees 70% will leave TODAY if they can get another job. The entire Toronto facility [a health hazard] is falling apart from the doors to washroom sewers-you name it. zero balance work/life. entire customer service & credit dept DESERVES to be fired. Almost every dept works against the other. u got suggestions & complaints? then HR Canada smiles in front and BITES ur butt the second u turn. people fired after 25 years of service as politics got to them.

Advice to Senior Managementthey love wasting paper and $, no problemo!

highly political

Credit Associate (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

Prosif u are adept at politics, good for you.

Consmore bureaucratic than ottawa
    every dept has friction with the other
    friction between every dept head
    many employees get away with murder-they have their "protectors"
    effiency does not exist
    employee family politics is LIVE
    time wasting is HIGH
    penny pinching is HIGH
    time management does not exist
    dept vs dept war is every day of the week

Advice to Senior Managementtheir ears are rusted & dead

Good experience, not a good career choice

ProsCompany vehicle
    Benefits
    Lots of experience working on dishwashers
    You get to sell lots of soap

ConsTreat this company as a job, don't get all hyped about a career here.
    Quite a few empty promises
    No work/life balance
    I lost a lot of friends at Ecolab one year because I didn't make budget. I made budget the following year and we were friends again.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe both know trying to give advice to management is not good efficient time management.

Great when I started, but unfortunately moral is dropping!

Territory Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsTeam environment, car and gas card, support and tools, decent pay

ConsLack of communication, amount of paperwork, pay in relation to the amount of work required

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to focus on bringing back company culture (5 pillars). Moral is at an all time low.

Great Place for Trustworthy Motivated Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job if you like working alone, owning your territory and making good money. Company vehicle was perk and first level management was outstanding.

ConsTravel can get excessive at times. Sometimes lofty expectations caused issues between sales and service.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a ride with your techinicians in the field. Spend a week with them during an installation or a normal PM trip. Choose one that not in the haven of the twin cities.

Worked for Ecolab? Contribute to the Community!