Echo Global Logistics

Updated 10 November, 2014
3.2

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

moving too fast to do things right

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back work environment
    Casual
    Fun people to work with
    Decent benefits
    Great gym in building

Cons

poorly organized
    can't fix obvious problems
    "good enough" ethic is firmly entrenched
    hidebound
    completely unsustainable pacing of work.
    Everything is urgent and important.

Take technology more seriously. You can't do your business without it.

Slow down and do things right instead of rushing through them.

Not Great

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Great people, office culture is very outgoing and fun. Beer on fridays, you are basically left alone after training to do what you need to do

Cons

TERRIBLE tier one managers. No patience, don't answer questions, don't care about you and are downright unprofessional and inappropriate. There is so much office gossip and little support when you first start out.

You are cold calling/emailing all day every day until you are able to convince someone to pay their ridiculous rates (good luck) or have accounts handed down to you. It gets old very quick and you have to find all of your leads outside of office hours (basically you're forced to work overtime if you want to be remotely successful). I was constantly stressed and hated my job within the first month. You really have to take a lot of crap for months so you can do well. Salary is too low for what they ask of you

get new managers who can actually handle the responsibilities

Good place to launch a career but not to stay

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable industry and company
    Complete benefit and retirement package
    Casual work environment

Cons

Lack of upward mobility
    Little motivation to excel
    All day long on the phone and emailing
    Gets old fast
    Limited opportunities for relocation
    HQ and regional offices very different cultures

Work-life balance and wages need to improve.

Senior Account Executive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work right out of college as a first job. Fun work environment with good people.

Cons

Large amount of turnover which results in current employees being forced into added responsibilities that do not correlate with added pay.

Echo is an awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a young and high energy culture with Midwestern values. Super nice people and very social atmosphere. Everyone wants you to succeed. If you've ever thought about giving commissioned sales a try, this is the place to do it.

Cons

The first 6 months are difficult - lots of cold calling. But if you can stick with it you will succeed.

Echo is a great company to start with for sales experience.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a very young company with a high energy atmosphere. It is a great place to build a sales career through learning fundamentals. The training program is very thorough.

Cons

The training program, while thorough, is very tedious. Halfway through the program, all you want to do is hit the floor and start calling.

For carrier sales, I would only suggest more team oriented goals/rewards. It is difficult to break through to commission without a national carrier.

Inside Sales (Carrier Sales Rep)

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great for right out of College, or if you are absolutely desperate. Base is $35k across the board, which comes out to minimum wage after the hours they force you to work. There are a few bright stars among the regional leaders. Young and funish for a minute, until you have to pay rent.

Cons

The company seems to value production, above all else. You will be forced to work 12+ hrs every day, plus a Saturday shift, which you won't be compensated for. They'll tell you that it's an "opportunity" to sell more. But we all know it's just to squeeze you. Soon that $35k is minimum wage and it takes most 8-12 months to "break through" to actual commission earnings. You will see a few examples of people that have broken through on the teams, but they typically make $50k for 12+hr days.

If you'd like to advance, there's a long line, expect 3+ years before you get promoted. If you ask to transfer to another department, HR will remind you that is the job you signed up for etc. Lots of bullying and shoddy people in the company that make trust an issue at all levels.

It's tough when people steal your sales, but when it happens multiple times weekly and the managers defend the people doing the stealing, it's a concern. If you confront the person, they cry foul to the manager which will only earn you a bad mark. Whiny, complainy, young, and entitled. It's scary.

People in charge of training have no leadership qualities, but are really great at being boss'. Hopefully things change, the long hours and conditions are pretty terrible and the constant mistrust among the peons that make the money happen towards "leadership" is unsettling. There was a kind of mass exodus when I left. Lots of grumblings of poor management being the issue. Worth looking into to avoid lawsuits and bad reviews such as this one. Good Luck.

I love it!

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun , young company. Lots of events to keep employees engaged and active within the company. Great opportunity to make friends and learn about logistics and it's an environment that's growing fast, we are always adding new team members and bringing people in. Great recruiting process and training, I feel like I have learned a lot and I've only been here 2 months. I came from a bank environment and the attitude and culture here is contagious.

Cons

Getting started is rough, but what do you expect? I do everything I was trained to do but don't always book a load (Echo speak for closing a deal) and sometimes it's hard to get started, but there are many successful people here who assure me they started the same way and had a difficult time at the beginning so I'm going to true them and stay after it. Hours can be rough too but I'm working with young people my age so it's hard to complain.

Try to paint a realistic expectation of the job during the interview process by getting more time to talk to current employees and get questions answered.

All around great place to work!

Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, fun environment, company is willing to change and is not afraid to try new things.

Cons

Some long work hours depending on circumstances throughout the day.

Echo Dallas - A Young Thrilling&Exhausting Atmosphere

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are missing college/high school, then Echo is the place for you!!!!!!!
    Work hard, play hard is Echo's Motto.
    When you exceed Echo's expectations your efforts will be praised tremendously!!
    If you ask for help at Echo, you will have numerous people willing and able to assist you!

Cons

Angry customers, high school drama, some coworkers/customers sound like doochebagz on the phone, I am getting fat sitting at my desk all day, our manager feeds us too much, predator pray environment.

Quit feeding me...just kidding. I LOVE FOOD & MY MANAGER!!!!!! <3