Echo Global Logistics

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner

Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard(in 19 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible commission structure, low salary(in 11 reviews)

• Base Salary sucks and it takes a while to build business(in 5 reviews)

Echo Dallas - The Job and Career I've been looking for

Client Sales Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsWhen I walked in the doors I could tell this was not like any place I'd ever worked, and I've been my own boss... CEO and COO of 2 small businesses operated in Dallas.

The work environment, while rigorous, is a very positive learning and coaching environment, as well as being very transparent. I can email the CEO and get a response from him directly in the same day. There's no one too big in the company to reach out to with a concern, idea, suggestion, or insight. That coming from an 8 year old, Billion dollar, Publicly Traded company? "Yeah Right" is what you're thinking, but it's entirely true.

The leadership in the office is involved, but not at the micro-management level (unless you thrive on micro-management). There's freedom of setting your own pace for your day and getting accomplished what needs to be done in a manner that you can handle.

I can't imagine working anywhere else, at this point, unless I won the Lottery and never had a need for it. Even still, I'd be tempted to come in and run a small book of business.

PS: If you're reading negative comments about the company from former employees... take it with a grain of salt. This job is not about the salary. Anyone worth their mettle is not trying to keep their salary here, they're working for commissions. There's no such thing as a pay cut when you're growing a book of business and getting paid for your efforts with that book. Someone talking about pay cuts on their salary is someone that shouldn't have been here in the first place. This is real sales... not retail.

ConsI live furthermore out of Dalals than most, so the commute is a little difficult for me. While it's centrally located in beautiful Uptown Dallas off Woodall Rodgers... it's also located off Woodall Rodgers... which means traffic can be a nightmare. That's about all he negative I can think to report.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. You've got it right.

Great place to start you career

National Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsMotivated by top reps earning a lot of money. A great opportunity to make a lot of money. Great atmosphere to work in.

ConsKeep doing what your doing with the training program you have in place. It is very helpful and very in depth which helps once you hit the floor. Maybe more cash incentives for weekly spiffs.

Solid opportunity for mobility

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGrowing company with options for lateral mobility. The office culture is comfortable and extremely young. Management shifts seem to have the company heading upward.

ConsBrokerage office atmosphere, somewhat immature. There is a lot of opportunity to improve the company and it is slowly being done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good third party logistics company to work for.

Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood corporate culture. Supports its people. Many opportunities for learning.

ConsThe location is a minus. Not a lot of choices for frugal meals. No fast food restaurants in the vicinity.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have an open door policy.

Good to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining. Good place to get some initial experience.

ConsEverything else. Not the best place to come into everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to eliminate the cutthroat atmosphere.

Young and fun company to work at, but managment not always clear on direction company is headed.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat place to make and learn from mistakes.

ConsUnclear career path, stressful in unnecessary situations, high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication to employees, leading by example, be more personable with employees

Echo Dallas, a great place to learn both sales and transportation management

Account Executive (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGreat Co workers, dedicated managerial and executive staff. The company is growing at such a rapid pace, there is a lot of room for internal promotion.

ConsIn my tenure thus far, i have not seen any cons worth noting. At the pace the company is growing, its good to see that they have kept most everyone happy!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the dedication and face time within the branches, it helps motivate employees!

Eh.

Client Sales Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsOkay company culture, a decent incentive every once in a while. Great coworkers, regular paycheck.
    Industry-leading "proprietary" technology, okay brand name.
    Solid [paid] training for the industry.
    Nearly no petty micro-managing; freedom to put Echo's name and resources to the test while attempting to close billion-dollar companies.
    Good comprehensive small-business experience.
    Still a young company.

ConsHorrible operational support; this is more an "account executive" position, and the sales side diminishes quickly over time.
    Very poor commission structure; less than 15% of the entire sales force hits "commission" (that is, makes more than the base salary) within the first 12 months of "hitting the floor." Furthermore, client sales trainees don't hit the floor for a good couple of months, so you can expect to be looking at 14-18+months before you make over base salary.
    Despite above, this is actually more of a "customer service" position, as you will be in the "business of apologizing."
    Nearly impossible to be ethical and make a good paycheck (not just Echo, but 3pl's as a whole).
    Ridiculous rate of turnover amongst employees and management alike.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a dichotomy between sales and operations, otherwise the rate of your return on employees in "client sales" goes down drastically over time.

Not for the unmotivated.

Client Sales Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGreat opportunities to make money and learn

After a year you will be an expert in the Logistics industry.

ConsCan be a 24/7 job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as of yet.

Lots of busy work/ low pay / replaceable

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGood place to start out and get something on your resume

ConsFrat house. Young inexperienced managers. Too much hiring from within which means you get people with Echo tunnel vision. The bureaucracy is to have systems in place so that everyone is replaceable. You spend most of your time creating paper trails to cover your ass. Most people have extra part time jobs on the weekend to cover the cost of living in Chicago. A team lead's sole purpose is to micro-manage and squeeze more work out of you. It doesn't seem like anyone gets a chance to take a lunch break so everyone eats at their desk. Then they bribe you with beer on Friday. If you paid more we could all buy our own beer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't know. Never get to interact with any of them because I'm low on the food chain.

Worked for Echo Global Logistics? Contribute to the Community!