Eastman Chemical

Updated 23 October, 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

It's all about the culture...

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Eastman offers a true culture of caring, for its people, and the communities in which they operate. Colleagues are met with smiles and cordial greetings as they walk the facilities. Benefits are highly competitive, and integrity is evident from the top of the organization to the bottom. Upper management is highly visible, and have set forth a clear, strategic vision for the organization.

Cons

Lacks significant brand recognition outside of the regions with operations facilities, making recruitment of top talent a significant challenge.

Great place to work. Kingsport, TN is a great place to live too

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman has a great culture that is collaborative, friendly, and high integrity. Pay is good. Jobs are relatively stable. Company has had several record years in recent past. Lots of opportunity.

Cons

The employee performance rating management system is de-motivating. Also the high performance environment can be very stressful depdning on job function.

Friendly coworkers and relatively stress-free atmosphere with somewhat disappointing compensation.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a very good work environment. Coworkers are friendly, approachable, and helpful. There is a good work/life balance with most managers understanding you have a life outside the office.

Cons

The pay seems to be lower than the industry average especially considering the site's close proximity to Houston.

Consider compensating employees with better pay and benefits to avoid losing top talent to better paying companies in nearby Houston.

Great place to work. Awesome people. Many different areas to work in.

I worked at Eastman Chemical as an intern

Pros

Work-life balance is great!
    Many opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
    People are great and very friendly. Strong presence in the community.

Cons

Not heavily focused on innovation it seems
    Need a more diverse pool of engineers
    Allow engineers to have more flexibility in deciding which department they would like to move to.

Hire more new talent from top schools. Eastman needs fresh ideas from young talent so the company can flourish. The company is made up of too many older folks.

Eastman offers its employees the opportunity to suceed and contribute to the success of a world-class chemical company.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman offers flexible work hours, advancement opportunities and challenging job assignments to its employees. Pay, healthcare, vacation, etc., are comparable to other Fortune 500 companies and provide employees with security and confidence in meeting personal obligations. Continued company growth provides a variety of work assignments and contributes to employee satisfaction with job duties. Team members willingly help others, share knowledge and have a geniune interest in the well-being of coworkers.

Cons

Inability to retain younger talent due to perceived shortcomings of the region.

Ethical company!

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, rewarding experiences and great benefits. Great culture, the people really make the difference

Cons

Alittle risk adverse so like to cross most fo the ts and dot the is.

Move a little faster but don't damage the culture while doing it!

Excellent Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Hills, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Hills, PA (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

Employees are highly compensated for their work while the company strives to provide an exception work/life balance. Coworkers are respectful of your time off from work. The culuture here is very supportive and inclusive.

Cons

Being a site away from Kingsport is challenging when trying to get things accomplished. It is harder for senior management to see employees doing a good job because they are not close by.

Eastman Chemical Company is everything I could ever imagine to want in a company.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Eastman Chemical Company has pride in their collaborative work enviroment. Teamwork is always the best option and everyone is always willing to help out with any ideas or issues a group/individual may have. All employess (with the exception of a select few) are helpful, inclusive, and optimistic. My work schedule is flexible and my projects are enjoyable. My supervisors and mentors are both understanding and helpful. I always enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Eastman is very large, so initially I felt like a VERY small fish in a VERY large pond. However, I was quickly proven wrong. I have met a lot of people through Eastman's collaborative work enviroment and the company no longer seems so large.

Highly Satisfied with employer location, opportunities, culture, and ethics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love the location - here in East Texas, where there are signs of changing seasons! If you are a chemical engineer, there are lots of opportunities - not just process engineering, but in all areas of the company. I have never had a bad experience with supervision or management - I've always been treated fairly and respected for my work. Eastman values "doing the right thing" - a company with good ethics.

Cons

Salary is a bit lower in comparison with the Houston area. Currently trying to "fix" the age and experience gap in engineering and operations.

Eastman has given me the opportunity to put my degree to good use!

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my boss and my coworkers are awesome caring people. Everyone is always willing to help and are friendly.

Cons

Shift work does take some getting used to and the insurance could be better.