Eastman Chemical

Updated 30 September, 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • I'm glad to see that my initial fears about work/life balance were wholly unfounded (in 55 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges (in 27 reviews)

• Striving to be more global, but HQ still runs most decision making (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Most Enjoyable work Atmosphere I have worked in.

Current Employee - Business Organization Specialist  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Business Organization Specialist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility
    Independence in work
    Pay
    Friendly atmosphere
    great work life balance

Cons

As with any compnay some software IT issues need to be resolved to help improve process work flows

Always keep Flexibility and continue to recognize employees for job well done

Eastman Chemical will bend over backwards for their employees

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I cwork at Eastman becasue I am invested in and valued as an individual, not simply a cog in a machine. Despite being offered several other jobs at competing Fortune 500 companies, I chose to remain with Eastman for career and personal development opportunities. When I needed to turn down a promotion requiring a geographic move due to health problems, Eastman worked with me to open an equitable position in my home office.

Cons

The culture at Eastman is slow-to-change, often maintaining traditons because 'that's the way it's always been'. As a high-permorming Millennial, sometimes this can be discouraging and frustrating.

Continue spreading the Adapting for Results mentality.

Lifechanging

Current Employee - Chemical Plant Operator  in  Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Plant Operator in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get paid a handsome hourly rate to maintain a chemical plant as an operator. They have a true focus on safety that is not hypocritical or false. Coming from working on the drilling rigs in texas, this job is a dream come true.

Cons

Shift work can be hard on family life. The insurance is not the best, but not terrible, somewhere around mediocre.

when 1 person messes up, dont treat everyone different due to that one person.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am happy and proud to be part of a successfull company who values its employees

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Rotterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A caring company which gives employees the oppurtunity to grow.
    Great to work with so many international colleagues and their different cultures.
    Have never experienced issues when asking for time off.
    Am treated equally and well by upper management.

Cons

A lot is expected of you, work can be busy and stressfull.
    We often experience challenges. Employees need to be flexible.

Eastman is a great place to grow and learn about the chemical industry.

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Eastman takes it's culture very seriously. Not only does management value protection and safety, other employees do as well. Eastman has a strong teamwork atmosphere and if you ever need help with anything, your team is always willing to pause what they are working on to help you.

Cons

As a Co-Op, sometimes you are not given assignments that make you feel like you are helping Eastman. When you give up a semester of school to work for a company, you want to feel as if you are doing actual work and learning something that will help improve your efforts back in the classroom.

Make sure you are taking time to speak to those who are working under your supervision.

Safe, caring, and highly productive culture.

Current Employee - Advanced Chemist  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Chemist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

Eastman provides and encourages continuous training in all important areas including safety courses and professional growth. It is a very collaborative place to work with high productivity. I heard a lot of talk regarding work-life balance before I started work and here at Eastman I am happy to report that they live it and mean it. I thoroughly enjoy my time at work here at Eastman and would recommend to others as an excellent place of employment.

Cons

If you like living in the heart of a big city this place is not for you, but there is easy access to large cities for those that like to visit without the hassle of city living.

Working at Eastman has been a great experience. I feel like Eastman treats me as a person not just a number.

Current Employee - Senior Secretary  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Secretary in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Eastman places value on the employees and rewards their employees for hard work and dedication. Eastman has advancement opportunities as well as programs in place to develop the skills need to advance.

Cons

The health care benefit is more expensive than it was when I came to Eastman.

Very pleased with my decision to come to Eastman

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Eastman offers numerous job opportunities and promotes personal growth and advancement actively. Another plus at Eastman is having a flexible schedule which is really helpful when it comes to family obligations or illness, etc. Eastman also trusts its employee to do their jobs well so you don't have a supervisor looking over your shoulder all the time. You are given the freedom to do a good job and make decisions. This helps employees become more independent but team work is also key at Eastman. I have worked at Eastman for almost 10 years and have been very happy the entire time. All my co-workers are top notch. Most jobs at Eastman are very busy and management does continually look at jobs to make sure the job is still needed or has the right skill sets. Annual bonuses are excellent for exempt (salaried) employees which is tied in with how well the company is doing. Exempt employees are ranked against other exempt employees in their area and that determines the percentage of the bonus they receive. Bonuses for exempt employees can be in a general range of $15,000 to $30,000 per year depending on individual and company performance.

Cons

The amount of work can be overwhelming at times but in general it's very fulfilling with many opportunities for growth. Advancement opportunities are there but probably not always at the pace that a new employee may be expecting. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time for career advancements because certain jobs may not be announced on Eastman's internal job announcement center (eJobs). Benefits are not as good as they were in the past but benefits are changing everywhere. The amount of vacation offered is good. Pay for business support personnel could be higher for the type of work that they do. In general, annual raises for business support personnel are in the range of 2%. Business support employees are also eligible for an annual bonus (called VIP) which is dependent on performance. It's generally between $1,000-$2,000. The percentage a business support person receives depends on their ranking.

Focus more attention on business support personnel. Everything (including the performance management system) seems geared toward exempt employees.

A career company with a lot of opportunity to move within the organization

Current Employee - Manager  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong growth culture that creates lots of career opportunities
    Competitive pay and benefits.
    Culture is very supportive to help you succeed.

Cons

Cost of living is low at the corporate headquarters in Kingsport which means if you leave the area to take another job with another company, you will need a sizable increase in pay to maintain your standard of living

The growth of the company is exciting and engaging. However, there is the continuing danger of not being able to maintain a work-life balance. Be attentive to employee needs in this area.

Eastman Chemical Company is a steady, reliable employer.

Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

For the most part, I do not worry that my job will be eliminated or outsourced. In my job, I am pretty much my own boss; I know what needs to be done, and I am able to do it according to how I best see fit. I do not have a manager breathing down my neck barking out orders.
    Eastman preaches safety above all else. The expectation is that all jobs will be done safely. Taking short cuts is clearly a violation of company policy.

Cons

Eastman's selection of 1st line supervisors and similar positions -- safety representatives, for example -- sometimes makes one wonder, "What were they thinking?" It's not uncommon for written communication at that level to contain poor grammar and misspelled words. If a person does not know proper grammar or how to use a spell check program, can I really trust him to make sound decisions?

Please go back to referring to us as "employees". "Team members" sounds too touchy-feely.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!