Eastman Chemical

Updated 28 January, 2015
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

New Recruits beware!

Former Employee - Technical Service Manager/Sales Development Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Collaborative Environment is excellent.
    2. People at Kingsport/regional sites are excellent.

Cons

1. If you are recruited to work at Eastman, be prepared to be used for the following information with little reward:
          a. Connections of a focus industry if you come from that industry.
          b. Manager not to be involved in your skill set development.
          c. Little Career Advancement because your manager will be a fellow Eastman colleague when you start. The manager will be promoted as a result of your experience/knowledge.
          d. Constantly yelled out by my manager who had little experience in the industry compared to myself.
    2. Overall Benefits are terrible. Health benefits are not good and minimal salary increases are given.
    3. Corporate Credit Card is really a personal credit card given by the company which the company reimburses for approved expenses.

1. Appreciate your recruited employees better.
    2. Improve your benefits.

Working for Eastman is becoming overrated.

Current Employee - Operations in Anniston, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in Anniston, AL (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees can expect insurance and a paycheck. You can expect average wages with a declining benefits package.

Cons

Eastman does not care for their employees. We have a satellite human resource representative from another site. Questions constantly go unanswered while employees are left in the dark to figure out what we are losing next. We just lost our gym memberships after moving to a CDHP. They want you to be healthy, you just wont get any help from the company to get to that point. I hope you are not used to a Christmas bonus. Eastman's policy is $10 per person. Yes, a slap in the face. If you are a Christian, you probably won't even here Merry Christmas . It is replaced with Happy Holidays. The Managers don't listen. Production is a major priority while safety falls to the rear. The managers want all the credit when things are going good, but when things start going bad they want to blame the men in coveralls ( after you told them what was wrong). If Eastman wants to be the number one chemical company in the world they have a long way to go.

Listen to your employees, they are not as dumb as you think. We are all in this together trying to work toward a common goal. We want to make Eastman a better place to work. Success starts at the bottom and goes up. It doesn't trickle down from the top. Try being good to your employees. If you want to be the best, you have to treat them like the are the best. Prediction: our company rank will continue to fall on glassdoor.

Longevity

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

I have been working with Eastman for over 20years in from entry level engineering to management. I have had opportunities to travel, learn and grow personally and professionally. The training and support given to the employees is superb. Throughout my career, I have given freedom and support to pick up the ball and run. Compensation is above average for the area. Eastman employees pride themselves on being ethical and hardworking.

Cons

Recent changes in benefits have the net effect of a pay cut. Senior leadership seems out of touch with the manufacturing employee and come across as egomaniacs. . We are a manufacturing company not a sales and marketing company but doesn't feel that way sometimes.

Over the years, senior leadership has changed from home grown to store bought. Along with that has come great commercial success but there is growing rift between the business leaders and the manufacturing world. Its a tough balance I know but there is lots of talk about people being our number one resource but feel like it only applies to those outside of manufacturing. How about showing some more humility in leadership?

Great people, diverse work opportunities, ethical culture

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman people are friendly, helpful, and always glad to share their knowledge and experience. Work schedules for most of us allow good work/life balance. At world headquarters in Kingsport, TN, there are opportunities to work in a huge variety of work assignments without having to relocate or change employers, so you need never grow bored or underchallenged. I go home each day feeling like I've made a difference for the good of other people (and myself). The pay is good, especially considering the low, small-city cost of living. Home-wise, we get the best of all worlds because the Tri-Cities has everything most of us need or want, and there are several good-sized (but not large or crime-ridden) cities within a few hours' drive for those who want bigger-city opportunities on weekends. Eastman is a good neighbor, helping fund local events and fully supporting the United Way, among other efforts.

Cons

The good work-life balance doesn't reach everybody; some business people are attached to their i-phones 24/7, and operators mostly work swing shifts which are hard on the body and mind. Benefits have eroded over the years (but are still good compared to other employers). "Benchmarking" seems to mean all peer companies are in a downward spiral as the best companies make a mad race to mediocrity, bringing the average down. There seem to be artificial caps on promotions so on average, it is a long time between merit reclassifications.

Benchmark against the best instead of the average, when deciding whether your pay and benefits are where they need to be.

Strong company w/ old school culture

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Great People
    -Challenging Work
    -Honest
    -Great Benefits!

Cons

-In my two+ years a lot of changes occurred at all levels. Created a tough working environment at times.
    -The facilities and labs need major upgrading.

Good company

Current Employee - Chemical Operations in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Operations in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

goodpay and hard work always

Cons

changing, added lots of young people

Great place to leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinsville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinsville, VA (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

Almost everything is great !

Cons

More super experienced bureaucrats like R&D Manager at Martinsville, a virtuoso of safety meetings !

A good company beginning to follow industries norms to hurt the employees: An engineers perspective.

Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Until recently Eastman has been an extremely stable place to work. In fact in the last two weeks I went to to 40 year's at Eastman anniversary parties. The starting pay is competitive. The work life balance is good. The area around Eastman is relatively inexpensive to live in. There are lots of opportunities for training and personal development. Overall, I like my job and enjoy Eastman.

Cons

In order to grow as a company Eastman has adopted common industry practices that are making it less attractive to work for. Recent times have seen drastic cuts in budgets and mediocre raises and bonus even though last we had record profits and exceeded expectations. Also, unless you are one of a select few, don't expect fast promotions or movement into management. Eastman attracts people by providing starting salaries slightly higher than its competitors, but keeps costs down be promoting slow and with mediocre raises. There is no other place like Eastman in the area, so you would have to move to find another decent engineering job.

Care more about the employee than the shareholder. You can be a successful profitable company and keep your employees happy and paid well. If you do then maybe other companies will follow suit and start building back the middle class.

Great Company to Work for but There are Always Improvement Opportunities

Current Employee - Second Level Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Second Level Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has strong leadership and stategy/direction. Safety is given a very high priority.
    Opportunities to change roles/career paths without leaving the company.

Cons

Relative perfromance initiative is not very well defined or executed. This program has also been somewhat detrimental to the team culture that Eastman has historically had.
    It is very difficult to adequately reward plant roll employees for outstanding performance, but management is significantly rewarded for slightly above average performance.
    Although honesty and integrity are highly valued, some levels of management have difficult time shooting straight. They will sugar coat things or not fully communicate the details behind decisions.

Benchmark and target the best companies with regards to benefits, etc.
    Do not become so focused on fast tracking young employees that you forget mid level managers in the middle of their careers who helped get you there.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are job opportunities throughout the company that allows employees to build on their knowledge by getting to work in different areas through out their career at Eastman. Everyone has the same goal - to make Eastman a successful company.

Cons

Once you top out in your bracket there are no other promotion levels and to move into another bracket is very difficult.