Eastman Chemical

Updated 18 October, 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 69 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding

Current Employee - Technologist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Technologist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to advance and move around. When the economy limps, Eastman weathers the storm every time. Eastman does well becuse of the many different products we make and of course, the people.

Cons

Dealing with the many different personalities.

Please help us with Health Care. We need more options for our healthcare. Paying full price for doctor visits are very hard for families. I know Eastman is trying to get out of the Health Care business, but many of us would rather have better health care coverage than bonuses or raises. Please give some benefits to the employees instead of taking away benefits. We have seen Retirement, life insuarnce, health care, and bonuses dwindle away over the last several years. I understand that we need to be profittable but I think we need to be more attractive to the job market.

One of the best companies I've worked for. Great salary and good benefits.

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and vacation time.
    Good benefits.
    Great salary

Cons

New insurance policies Reduced coverage and increased rates.
    Little or no advancement without bachelor's degree

Take into consideration that the employees not always informing the management of their accomplishments are the employees that actually do the most efficient work.

Business Strategy Manager

Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diverse set of projects and opportunities, exciting growth projects in the company, and resources to execute on those projects.

Cons

Smaller town with relatively lmited options for singles or couples with no children. Company is highly matrixed, which can make getting alignmen or acting swiftlyt challenging for large projects.

No Better Place to Work

Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Eastman for over 30 years, and if I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't hesitate to start again. Great people and great projects over the years. I look forward to coming to work every day.

Cons

Some of the programs developed to enhance performance can be distracting.

Some of the programs developed to enhance performance can be distracting.

A Positive, Engaging place to work.

Current Employee - Group Leader in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman is a great place to be. Our safety culture, our people, and the interesting and challenging things that we get to be a part of every day make it an exciting and fun place to work. Plus - Eastman values my work / life balance as well. I have a good amount of flexibility and great benefits.

Cons

As with any large company, there can be some bureaucracy and red tape to navigate through at times.

While I realize that to be competitive in today's markets, companies can't afford to offer excessive total compensation packages (including salary and all benefits). But, keep in mind that if your package is just 'average', then that's the kind of employees that you are likely to be able to attract - 'average'.

Eastman has been a great experience

Current Employee - Group Leader
    Current Employee - Group Leader

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman has a team oriented culture that supports a work life balance. Within one site there are opportunities for varied career paths.

Cons

To continue to compete for talented employees, Eastman will need to consider further enhancing current salary and benefit packages to entice talent to Eastman locations.

Friendly coworkers and relatively stress-free atmosphere with somewhat disappointing compensation.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a very good work environment. Coworkers are friendly, approachable, and helpful. There is a good work/life balance with most managers understanding you have a life outside the office.

Cons

The pay seems to be lower than the industry average especially considering the site's close proximity to Houston.

Consider compensating employees with better pay and benefits to avoid losing top talent to better paying companies in nearby Houston.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman offers excellent compensation, competitive benefits, and they value a reasonable work-life balance (for most positions). They are extremely focused on creating a safe workplace and protecting the environment. There are a wide variety of job opportunities for most roles -- lots of potential to move around the company to gain experience with different divisions. HQ is in Kingsport TN -- safe, great schools, and an excellent area in which to raise a family.

Cons

Promotions occur at a slow pace. While there are opportunities to move around, moves don't typically occur fast unless you are on the "fast track". HQ is in Kingsport TN. While this area has an incredibly low cost of living (~15% below national average), your "entertainment" options are limited unless you want to drive 2-5 hrs to a big city.

Older facilities need to be replaced, not continuously repaired. New CEO (<1 yr), so it's a bit too early to rate his performance.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

Eastman offers many opportunities to work in several different facets of the company for engineers, from engineering design to hands on troubleshooting, to working in the business side of the company. The opportunities to move around become more difficult as you grow in salary grade. The Culture is the best part of working at Eastman. In general, most people are willing to help any collegue.

Cons

Some jobs in the business side of the company are very demanding and stressful. There are some people in management positions that are not as supportive of collegues, however these seem to be few and only in some areas of the business. Also in some areas, there is management that tends to want to hold back young new hires into a position instead of looking for opportunities to grow these folks.

Focus on improving employee development in areas that would benefit the employee and the company.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Chemical Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Chemical Engineer

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are good: smart, friendly, devoted to the success of the company, devoted to the success of their team. Eastman's policies are fair and employee-positive. Professional development opportunites abound. Advancement plans are available and actively discussed. I feel like the company values my contributions and wants to support my success, which is also the company's success.

Cons

We hold lots of meetings. These are often fun and productive but they can eat up time quickly.

Communicate more broadly about specific projects, exicting possibilities, failures, and changes in direction. I often find that I have to be in small (nearly one-on-one) meetings with mid-level management to find out interesting/exciting developments, while the large presentations they give are too highly sanitized.