Eastern Kentucky University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eastern Kentucky University President Doug Whitlock

Doug Whitlock

Can be a laid back, fun culture--unless you're a minority--but can lead to a lot of drama

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University part-time

ProsLaid back, fun (see exceptions)

ConsLOTS of drama.
Also a LOT of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. If you're any kind of minority (and I'm including liberals in this group) you will most likely be miserable. I can't tell you the number of racist and sexist comments I've had to endure during my employment.
If you're a hard-core conservative, white, male and love to dehumanize anyone who isn't just like you--you will fit right in. If not...STAY AWAY.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know...maybe fire people who create a hostile environment instead of just standing around a listening to them and pretending you don't hear their comments? Take complaints seriously?
Stop hiring jerks who think it's "funny," appropriate, or professional to constantly make other workers and students uncomfortable?

I worked at the Environmental Research Institute. It was awesome.

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University

ProsFun, dynamic environment with great people.

ConsUniversity bureaucracy made funding for projects difficult.

Excellent workplace with great benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFantastic benefits: Insurance, holidays, time-off, free tuition and then vacation you may not be able to use because you've already been off 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for Spring Break, etc. Academic atmosphere which encourages independent thought and a youthful, hopeful energy you won't find elsewhere.

ConsFunding and budgets determine raises. Years without a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage job advancement within the institution.

excellent organization to work for. Top rated

Safety Coordinato0r (Former Employee)
Lawrenceburg, KY (US)

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than 5 years

Proseverything good, with exception of salary

Consno negatives. Great organization to work for

Advice to Senior Managementconsider former employees for rehire

I love working at Eastern Kentucky University.

Support Service Associate (Current Employee)
Corbin, KY (US)

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI love being able to help people that are having trouble.

ConsThey have a buddy system, so it is hard to move up here. I have been here full for almost ten years, and cannot get a better paying job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a chance, no matter how old they are.

Conflicted

Senior Office Associate (Current Employee)
Richmond, KY (US)

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEKU has provided an educational opportunity to full time employees through staff/faculty tuition waiver program. For the last few years the benefit has been for a maximum of 12 credit hours per semester undergrad and grad level courses. EKU resides in a small/medium size town with a growing sense of community and cultural actives.

ConsRecent initiatives by institutional leadership has left many fearing job loss, a reduction in support departments (faculty/staff resources), and a decrease in the tuition waiver to 6 credit hours per semester. All this comes after several years of salary stand-stills and increases to tuition. Employees who regularly are assigned and undertake duties far beyond his/her job description are not rewarded financially nor shown administrative recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership has taken a turn for the worse. Recent decisions by the board have put strain and uncertainty in the workforce. Employees need to be valued and shown loyalty, not given lip service and dismissed.

Nice Part Time Experience with Flexibility

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee)
Richmond, KY (US)

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility, teaching environment, opportunity to work with students

ConsParking is not convenient at times, budget cuts

Great campus, great people, great opportunities

Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than a year

ProsMid-size campus, incredible support, lots of interest and energy around new ideas and innovative ways to fulfill departmental goals

ConsSometimes folks aren't held as accountable as they should be.

Great place to work

Contracts Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University

ProsThe best reasons to work at EKU are the benefits. We have top notch insurance, free if you take the medium level, dental and vision insurance. We have 2 weeks off with pay over the Christmas holiday. We get 1 sick day per month and 2 weeks vacation upon starting, it accumulates as we go. After 5 years we have 3 weeks vacation. Too many paid holidays to even mention.

ConsWe have not received a cost of living raise in three years due to state shortfalls in the budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management, those who control the raises......The cost of living has gone up and we can't be expected to just sit back year after year without a raise!

Good place to get an education

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University

ProsKnowledgable and hard-working colleagues, excellent reputation of the university, small and friendly campus, supportive community with low crime and good education, good president

ConsLack of communication from some administrative leaders, sometimes disappointed in administrative advocacy for employees, budget constraints during today's economic crisis

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Worked for Eastern Kentucky University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eastern Kentucky University reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Eastern Kentucky University CEO Doug Whitlock . All 12 reviews are posted anonymously by Eastern Kentucky University employees.