EMC

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,117 ratings)

1,641 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys"
    in 133 reviews
  • "You can occasionally work from home if you have personal things to handle"
    in 46 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is something EMC has tough time with"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great place to work, despite minor problems

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of interesting and cutting-edge projects are being worked on right now: this sums up to a very interesting and challenging work environment. Team work is excellent, training opportunities are plenty (even though we end up not having much time to actually go on training!), direct management is excellent in the sense that it actually listens to employee suggestions and acts upon it. Great team spirit.

ConsSmall things which add up, unfortunately:
Raises are low, top management moves the date of salary reviews without notice (2 years in a row, 9 months of adjustments were lost), promotions are non-existent, payroll makes tons of mistakes which end up costing a lot. IT support is a joke.

I have been working at EMC full-time

Prosgood company culture, good leadership, good pay

Consto get resources for some areas is difficult

Overall a good place to make a career

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary and benefits, employe stock purchase program, registered retirement savings plan match and save program. recognition and financial incentives for good work.

Consrequires being able to keep calm under pressure, customer can be demanding when they spent a few million, minimum amount of politics...mostly customer related

Advice to Senior Managementnot all managers are equal, some can be sticklers on relatively low impacting issues when the overall goal is achieved. some can also be "tight budget" using half you operational budget could be considered shooting yourself in the foot when quality work is delivered. i happen to report to an excellent senior mangers which makes my vision of things different from some of my colleagues

Great experience, but needs some culture improvement

Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at EMC full-time for less than a year

ProsAggressive compensation model (at least for sales reps), flexible working arrangements, variety of work tasks

ConsBoys club; traditional work environment (can be difficult to fit in); Great career advancement options throughout the company, but very limited within Canada

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees feel more valued as individual contributors

Great Opportunities at EMC

I have been working at EMC full-time for less than a year

ProsA work environment which challenges you, comes with great benefits and above average salary. EMC is a leader in its industry and offers great advancement opportunities.

ConsTypically a high work load which can have you working long hours. A lot of Type-A personalities which can make it difficult to get results.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of other (non sales) type of employees.

EMC

Lead UI-UX Designer (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC

I worked at EMC full-time for more than a year

ProsWith development centers in many countries, travelling around the world has been the most fulfilling experience i had with this company.

ConsEMC has an engineer centric culture thus treating design and user experienc as a feature.

Advice to Senior Managementi bit more Bottom up less top down

cool company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is large company ,stable and Secure.

ConsTh epay is not great

Advice to Senior Managementtough question

Educational

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at EMC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood co-workers. Good benefits. Lots of experience.

ConsThe need to work some weekends and statutory holidays. Vindictive if you leave. Stress level and pressure to perform. Shifting a lot of work to India and China.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the YES men. Too much weight is placed on metric being manipulated.

Great co-op position, but YMMV

Software Quality Assurance Engineering Co-op (Current Employee)
Burlington, ON

I have been working at EMC as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe division I work at has a great working environment, but I can't say whether or not that's the case everywhere. As a co-op I have been given work that is challenging and is allowing me to learn a great deal. Was enrolled in an industry course despite only having a 4 month co-op position.

ConsUnderstaffed. Some contract positions are a revolving door, which is unfair for people who work hard with the expectation of having a chance at full time when their contract finishes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe staff in my department is very efficient and cares a great deal about what they do. However, some, in fact many, of them will eventually leave because they can make significantly more elsewhere. Consider this when budgeting salaries for an engineering department.

Good long-term, stable place to make a career

Burlington, ON

I have been working at EMC

ProsThe benefits are great and match or beat many other competitors. The location is pretty central in Burlington so one could live as far away as Stoney Creek, Kitchener, York, or even downtown Toronto and be within reasonable driving distance.
I cannot stress the team enough. We have a terrific team here. The dynamics are great, strong, lasting friendships and personal relationships are formed, we joke and have fun, but we get the job done and everyone shares in the sense of urgency when it is required. Many people here would be elsewhere already if not for the team and workmates that they have here.

ConsEMC's salary policies are not in line with other major IT companies. This is across all of North America, not just in Canada or Ontario. EMC's salary bands target the 50th percentile of the market, and then they encourage hiring people "low" so they have "room to grow". What this means is that people are hired with a salary that is under the market average. Surely, there are people that are higher, and EMC has a strong "pay-for-performance" culture, so you have an opportunity to grow that into a respectable salary if you're a strong candidate and employee. But EMC's policies position itself to NOT be competitive with the marketplace, which is unfortunate when you're trying to attract top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread the love. EMC has been "breaking records" for the past few years, and even beat predictions during the global economic downturn in 2009. EMC has continuously brought in the revenue needed to sustain it and beyond. But the salary policies and annual compensation increase budgets have yet to reflect this windfall of income. EMC has become a strong IT vendor on the backs of the "little people". And yet, when Joe Tucci gets a 15% increase to his base, but the rest of us have to struggle by with barely a 2-3% increase, which doesn't even cover cost of living increases here in Ontario in recent years, it sends a very bad message to the rank and file. Send a message to your most worthy employees, the individuals who do all the work, letting them know you appreciate their efforts. Pay them commensurate to the market.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for EMC CEO Joe Tucci. All 1,641 reviews are posted anonymously by EMC employees.