EMC

3.5 1,836 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,222 ratings)

Pros
  • work/life balance is pretty good, a lot of trainings if you have time to attend (in 164 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well (in 84 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights
1,836 Employee Reviews

Good culture...low salary

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsGreat work life balance
    Good management in that they don't micro manage
    Friendly coworkers
    Flexible timing
    Great benefits

ConsLower pay than market
    Management doesn't appreciate the hard workers much

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons

A great place to work, despite minor problems

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsLots of interesting and cutting-edge projects are being worked on right now: this sums up to a very interesting and challenging work environment. Team work is excellent, training opportunities are plenty (even though we end up not having much time to actually go on training!), direct management is excellent in the sense that it actually listens to employee suggestions and acts upon it. Great team spirit.

ConsSmall things which add up, unfortunately:
    Raises are low, top management moves the date of salary reviews without notice (2 years in a row, 9 months of adjustments were lost), promotions are non-existent, payroll makes tons of mistakes which end up costing a lot. IT support is a joke.

Prosgood company culture, good leadership, good pay

Consto get resources for some areas is difficult

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a good place to make a career

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood salary and benefits, employe stock purchase program, registered retirement savings plan match and save program. recognition and financial incentives for good work.

Consrequires being able to keep calm under pressure, customer can be demanding when they spent a few million, minimum amount of politics...mostly customer related

Advice to Senior Managementnot all managers are equal, some can be sticklers on relatively low impacting issues when the overall goal is achieved. some can also be "tight budget" using half you operational budget could be considered shooting yourself in the foot when quality work is delivered. i happen to report to an excellent senior mangers which makes my vision of things different from some of my colleagues

Great experience, but needs some culture improvement

Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsAggressive compensation model (at least for sales reps), flexible working arrangements, variety of work tasks

ConsBoys club; traditional work environment (can be difficult to fit in); Great career advancement options throughout the company, but very limited within Canada

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees feel more valued as individual contributors

Great Opportunities at EMC

ProsA work environment which challenges you, comes with great benefits and above average salary. EMC is a leader in its industry and offers great advancement opportunities.

ConsTypically a high work load which can have you working long hours. A lot of Type-A personalities which can make it difficult to get results.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of other (non sales) type of employees.

EMC

Lead UI-UX Designer (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsWith development centers in many countries, travelling around the world has been the most fulfilling experience i had with this company.

ConsEMC has an engineer centric culture thus treating design and user experienc as a feature.

Advice to Senior Managementi bit more Bottom up less top down

cool company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsIt is large company ,stable and Secure.

ConsTh epay is not great

Advice to Senior Managementtough question

Educational

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsGood co-workers. Good benefits. Lots of experience.

ConsThe need to work some weekends and statutory holidays. Vindictive if you leave. Stress level and pressure to perform. Shifting a lot of work to India and China.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the YES men. Too much weight is placed on metric being manipulated.

Great co-op position, but YMMV

Software Quality Assurance Engineering Co-op (Current Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsThe division I work at has a great working environment, but I can't say whether or not that's the case everywhere. As a co-op I have been given work that is challenging and is allowing me to learn a great deal. Was enrolled in an industry course despite only having a 4 month co-op position.

ConsUnderstaffed. Some contract positions are a revolving door, which is unfair for people who work hard with the expectation of having a chance at full time when their contract finishes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe staff in my department is very efficient and cares a great deal about what they do. However, some, in fact many, of them will eventually leave because they can make significantly more elsewhere. Consider this when budgeting salaries for an engineering department.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!