E*TRADE Financial

Updated 11 November, 2014
Updated 11 November, 2014
2.8

Paul T. Idzik

Pros
  • Etrade values work life balance and offers opportunities to advance in your career path (in 16 reviews)

• The Series 7 and 63 training is free and useful in other jobs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • could improve in employee work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Call center work can eventually wear on an individual (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't get duped like I did....

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

Great Health Benefits
    Employee Benefits
    Flexible Work Schedule

Cons

Micro Management
    Inexperienced Management/Employees
    Majority of the work staff have been employed since the start of their careers; therefore, they are not receptive to new ideas that are not conducive to what they are use to.
    Managers will minimize the skills that you bring to the table to make themselves look good in the eyes of upper management. In addition, they will steal your ideas as their own.
    High turnover rate

Listen to your employees.
    Welcome ideas from individuals that may go against the grain.
    Invest in management training for all individuals who manage other employees.
    Don't be afraid to highlight employee's strengths.

Not recommended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No Pros as long as i worked there..

Cons

Heavy asian(indian) culture....too much micro management....
    vacation is not easily approved...no respect for staff members from managers...

Anonymous

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The product they sell and service to clients itself is the best in our industry and the people you work with day to day. Pay is above average for now...

Cons

Senior Management, very little communication from mgmt & No work life balance. Mgmt doesn't have a clue what they are doing and keep trying to change thing to say they did something, but in the end makes it more difficult to do business at the day to day level for no reason. They are also trying to pay/bonus/comp money as well with adding more work. When I first joined the company it was MUCH better... now not a fun place to work anymore (since 2012)

Value your people more and don't be cheap when it comes to existing clients. Please also ask your employees if a process will improve their work flow BEFORE implementing a complicated process. Think LONG TERM

Software ruled by clueless NY business people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you find the right team, you will be working with nice people, some of whom have been there for years. It is a more laid-back environment, in most cases, and again, depending on the team. Changes in leadership means that some finally got to advance in title (the company has a relatively flat hierarchy, and rarely promoted from within to manager positions), and new technology is started to be explored and used.

Cons

In the past year and a half, there was a major layoff, in which most of the contractors, and some full timers (some who had been there for a decade) got laid off for the first time in years. Within a few months, departments were scrambling to rehire to fill those positions and new ones too. It could be argued that the company was trying to save money and get rid of poor performers, but in the end, we hired newbies who had to be retrained (the tech 'stack' is archaic, frustrating, and a time-suck to deal with) and the market got so hot it was extremely difficult to hire top performers who would accept the lower pay Etrade was offering. All of this resulted in some poor code/projects not up to the same level as before. On top of that, Etrade became very strict about physical time spent in the building. They were always obsessed with 'badging in/badging out', and we were periodically told to be in the office no later than 9:30 am (sometimes by 8, whenever a CEO was in town), but recently I felt like we were more closely monitored on this, to the point where people wouldn't leave the building for lunch, and would take less walks around the parking lot, and would even just sit in their cubes doing nothing until 5:30 came around, if they had finished their work for the day. For a tech company, this is odd...usually if you are lucky enough to finish for the day, you are free to go, and techies are known for their late starts in the morning and leaning towards a flexible schedule. And forget working from home, at all, unless your manager likes you, and is not scared of discussing your badge log with their superiors. If you like that sort of thing, don't join Etrade. The bottom line is that this is a financial institution, based and led by often clueless people in New York, who don't have an understanding of what makes the tech side of things great (which is a shame, because for the most part, Etrade is an online business, and is known for that). 4? CEOs have come and gone in the past 5 years, and the current leadership (Idzick) is as hard core NY as you can get...he was brought in by the board to get money for shareholders, and money and the short term is what he is focused on. For a year after he joined, he was unable to convey any sort of goal, long or short term, to us worker peons. In the interim, many long timers decided to leave after a decade of service (to apple, start ups...lost some good talent). My feeling is that they will continue to sell off portions of the business, and 'lean things down' until they can sell the trading platform. When that goes, so goes the company and whoever works for it. It may take years, and in the meantime, if you wish to put some financial coding experience on your resume, join. But don't make the mistake of staying too long.

Learn what it takes to be a successful software company. Support your Tech people, give them the tools and environment it takes to succeed and attract the good talent in the Silicon Valley. Provide a better path toward career advancement and pay raises. Let people becomes leaders within the company. Stop fiddling around with monitoring badge logs, and focus on the bigger picture.

Once a great company, now reduced to mediocrity and support of the ever-declining status-quo

Former Employee - Systems Engineering in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineering in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was a great opportunity to work on some bleeding edge technology products a few years back. Good if you like outsourced environments - there is a lot of use of outsourcing here so if you are into that type of environment, you could fit right in here.

Cons

Lots of outsourcing, most people are just there for the paycheck. The environment is often described as long-time employees as "toxic". Personal growth opportunities are now largely limited due to the outsourcing -- being promoted likely means more late-night calls with teleworkers and remote teams.

Not bad, but limited opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment, but mostly because of a great direct manager.

Cons

Limited opportunities for career growth.

Principal

I worked at E*TRADE Financial (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only positive is Etrade has nice and hardworking employees.

Cons

No career growth
    Old and outdated technologies
    Under staffed
    Stuck in the past

Run Away

Former Employee - Client Service Manager in Sandy, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Manager in Sandy, UT (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart friends who never ran away

Cons

This place is horrible. I've seen so many colleagues replaced and asked why when I saw their replacement. It is an environment that no respectable human being can thrive in unless they are willing to sell their soul.

Great training and good experience

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative, Financial Services Representative

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My colleagues at E*Trade were great. I also had a very supportive manager. The benefits are good and included insurance for domestic partners. I felt the pay was fair and the training was superb.

Cons

Call center work can eventually wear on an individual. There is such an emphasis on leads that sometimes one can feel like they are a child being constantly poked and prodded. Employee interface is not particular efficient and would cause unnecessary customer delays. Most opportunities seem to be lateral unless one goes into sales or management, although advancing from an entry-level rep is definitely encouraged.

When finances get better, improve the system that reps use. Also, consider more definition of sales versus service roles. Service sometimes feels like their sole job is to feed leads to FC's. FC's lessen the value of their role by dumping service issues back to reps. Improving intra-department communication would also help smooth transition of new assets to company. While the website is really good, there are some functions that really seem to need improvement but are simply neglected.

It all depends who you work for

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was decent initially however after working with another manager but total compensation went down due to lack of bonus.

Make sure to interview them because this went from being the greatest place to work to my worst nightmare in a matter of months.

Cons

Lack of management training for the long term Etrade employees. Try to work for some who is newer to Etrade.

I hear you are doing a great job since I left and that makes me happy to hear. Try to pay more attention to middle management training.

E*TRADE Financial Photos