E*TRADE Financial

www.etrade.com

E*TRADE Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Paul T. Idzik

Pros
  • Etrade values work life balance and offers opportunities to advance in your career path (in 16 reviews)

• The Series 7 and 63 training is free and useful in other jobs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • could improve in employee work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Call center work can eventually wear on an individual (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Run Away

Client Service Manager (Former Employee) Sandy, UT (US)

ProsSmart friends who never ran away

ConsThis place is horrible. I've seen so many colleagues replaced and asked why when I saw their replacement. It is an environment that no respectable human being can thrive in unless they are willing to sell their soul.

Great training and good experience

Financial Service Representative, Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)

ProsMy colleagues at E*Trade were great. I also had a very supportive manager. The benefits are good and included insurance for domestic partners. I felt the pay was fair and the training was superb.

ConsCall center work can eventually wear on an individual. There is such an emphasis on leads that sometimes one can feel like they are a child being constantly poked and prodded. Employee interface is not particular efficient and would cause unnecessary customer delays. Most opportunities seem to be lateral unless one goes into sales or management, although advancing from an entry-level rep is definitely encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen finances get better, improve the system that reps use. Also, consider more definition of sales versus service roles. Service sometimes feels like their sole job is to feed leads to FC's. FC's lessen the value of their role by dumping service issues back to reps. Improving intra-department communication would also help smooth transition of new assets to company. While the website is really good, there are some functions that really seem to need improvement but are simply neglected.

It all depends who you work for

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsThe pay was decent initially however after working with another manager but total compensation went down due to lack of bonus.

Make sure to interview them because this went from being the greatest place to work to my worst nightmare in a matter of months.

ConsLack of management training for the long term Etrade employees. Try to work for some who is newer to Etrade.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hear you are doing a great job since I left and that makes me happy to hear. Try to pay more attention to middle management training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough to move up and get noticed

ProsThere are good people to work with

ConsManagement does not value the workers

Ok company to work for but politics at play.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork life balance, decent pay (less than what competitors are paying).

ConsYou are bombarded and pressured to bring new accounts for the company which they call leads and you are given a goal of 7 a week, promotion is merit mixed with a lot of brown nosing, stressful work being on the phone talking to angry customers (its a high end call center), and the management are based on tenure rather than actual management skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little less politics, To retain great employees, realize that not everybody is good in sales. So less pressure on getting leads at all cost and more emphasis on great customer service.

Great company, location and people

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

ProsPeople, management, location, annual bonus

Conscareer growth is too slow, training is not that okay

Advice to Senior Managementplease know how to take care of your loyal employees

Long-Time Employee, Slowly Worked Up the Ladder

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsE*TRADE Financial offers a high energy environment with lots of highly technical minds.
    Vacation policies are generous after you've put in your years.
    Excellent health benefits.

ConsPromotions are hard to come by.
    Company direction is constantly in flux as Executive Management team has experienced high level of turnover.
    Significant raises can only be found with title changes and promotions; however, these raises are paltry in comparison to what can be obtained elsewhere

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of the hard working individuals that have stood by the company over the many years of turmoil at E*TRADE Financial.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lacks career opportunities

Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

ProsGreat compensation. Dental and medical they offer is superior since it also covers the family of the employee

ConsNo work - life balance. Does not focus in promoting camaraderie among its employees

Great place to work but no raises

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsHigh technology company with lots to do

ConsNo raises, culture is stodgy

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on customer

It's Dilbert's world brought to life.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsUpper management is trying to turn the tech side around and have introduced a number of process improvements to help make things more transparent. There is a move to upgrade the technology and its infrastructure. Considering the all new executive suite, it will be some time before the success of this undertaking can be evaluated.

ConsMediocre salary. High stress levels. Not much room for advancement unless you are more into game playing than actual innovation and accomplishment. Technology dating back to the 90's and unlikely to change very quickly. Working level leadership is more interested in empire building than building the company. At present, the process that has been implemented is all show and no substance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would help to translate the advertised company values into something real instead of relying on an obsolete management style based on bullying. Good upper management intentions are usually frustrated by a lack of follow through. The middle-management bureaucracy somehow manages to protect it's domain, and give the appearance of acting without really taking the process improvements to heart.

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!