DynCorp International

Updated 16 September, 2014
3.4

James Geisler
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good pay even though you are in a war zone (in 25 reviews)

• Hours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not know what is going on or how to run the program (in 11 reviews)

• Being away from home, but that's expected when signing up (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay overall

Current Employee - Program Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Program Financial Analyst

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-works, benefits good, work-life balance good, management good, flexible schedule, staff development is good, upward mobility ... Opportunities around the world...

Cons

Contract work, so possibility that my position could go away in a few years. No tuition reimbursement on my contract...employer match has been cut back to save money.

None

I had good experience and know how in working with Dyn Corp International

Former Employee - Supply Technician  in  Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
    Former Employee - Supply Technician in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

I think I don't have problem in working with Dyn Corp Interational they teach me in dealing with co-employee civilan and military.

Cons

The challenge working with Dyn Corp International in arabic language I was forces to speak in arabic . The benefit they give me was so beneficial to my family and myself. They develop us employees to deal in good leadership in our work.

I have nothing to see with regrds to management of Dyn Corp International. They ar good company.

DynCorp International

Current Employee - Transportation Manager  in  Herat (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Herat (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Good organization, focused on continual process improvement

Cons

There is an ever need for qualified personnel

Hire by qualification, never association

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excilerating

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No two days are ever the same. Since this company has locations all around the world. There is always something happening, 24/7. The opportunity for growth is excellent. The general overhead is low, so everyone wears many hats. I am learning something new everyday. I love interacting with people all over the world. I get to work with true american heroes. The ethics are top notch. There is a social contract that is signed and followed to the letter. This definitely makes for a very pleasant work atmosphere. The leadership training is relevant immediately to our managers, not just something they can use in the future. I love it here.

Cons

You need to be available 24/7, 365. They keep the overhead low, but this creates a bottleneck sometime to get something processed. Some of the software applications need to be updated and more user friendly.

Offer the bonuses to everyone, not just managers. This is truly a team environment. Everyone on the team needs to be rewarded, not just the managers.

Got to do the job I had in the USAF for a civilian company.

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor

Pros

Good pay, can do the same job you had in the military.

Cons

Qatar sort of sucks, and not having SOFA status as a civilian in Qatar makes you a 2nd class citizen with no equal rights who are regarded as gods by the police.

Don't be "my daddy", I am a grown man. Micromanagement sucks.

Huge company with many projects in various fields

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

DynCorp is a huge company that offers a wide varity of job postings around the world.
    The Company will generally give employees opportunities for follow-on jobs within the company as they finish their contracts (applies to year long/overseas contracting work)
    The Company's values are great (See below)

Cons

(Understand this is in reference to the project I work with. Talk with someone at your potential work site for appropriate details)
    DynCorp's ability to pay a respectable salary was struck hard coming in after another company had this project. The quality of employees that will work in this field, for this amount of money is lacking. The Company's inability to recruit quality aircraft mechanics makes it hard to get rid of substandard mechanics. It's a snowball that gets worse as top notch employees leave the program because they can make better money elsewhere, and employees that lack experience and skills for better paying jobs are left behind. The only thing that keeps this place running are the handful of mechanics that stick around because they truly care about the end user and their mission.
    There never seems to be enough time to really truly inculcate the Company's values into the workforce, other than through negative discipline when values are not adhered to.

Find some way to offer better incentives for working here. The hourly compensation and benefits are substandard for this industry. The only reason to work on this project is the insane amount of hours we work.
    Allow lower and middle management to review potential incoming employee’s applications and take their advice into consideration prior to hiring them

Awful management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Doha (Qatar)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doha (Qatar)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Considering the tax free status it is decent pay especially if you are transitioning out of the military. Good amount of vacation and money for the plane ticket. Living arrangements are pretty good.

Cons

Management is just awful, they seem to promote all of the people that should have been fired long ago for ineptitude. Very much a "good ole boys" club. Constant "knee jerk" reactions to fairly consistent issues rather than just taking the time to review things and see how they could be done better ahead of time. None of the management care how hard the employees work they just want more and better without actually having the knowledge of exactly what they are asking for.

Get rid of them. Appreciate and take care of your people. Stop micromanaging.

Contracted Civilian Police Advisor

Current Employee - Police Advisor  in  Baghdad (Iraq)
    Current Employee - Police Advisor in Baghdad (Iraq)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compared to the positions I've had contracting, DynCorp has a fairly efficient HR and logistics Department.

Cons

The pay was low for the industry. Management seemed to get hired based on who they knew rather than qualifications. The treatment of employees was terrible leaving most in my program without the too necessary to do the job. Also, there was a VERY broad mission statement that did not provide guidance on what the customer expected. Bottom line, I do not think they were interested in performance on the job. If you were breathing and deployable they could get you into country and get their money.

Have a little pride in the mission and plan to produce some deliverables. Stop promoting solely based on resume, just because a guy has 30 years of experience doesn't mean he is motivated to do the job.

Overworked

Current Employee - QC Master Electrician  in  Shīndand (Afghanistan)
    Current Employee - QC Master Electrician in Shīndand (Afghanistan)

Pros

I learned alot but ...........

Cons

.............not a minutes rest. 7/12s. Lousy accomodations. Always the worst on FOB. Management, all former KBR didnt seem to learn much from LOGCAP III. Bad morale (QEST). Overworked, stress out the ears, mind numbing paperwork. QEST auditors are disrespected and hated by all and the hostility wears on you.Makes you hostile.

How bout a day off. Better living quarters. Not enough attention to mental health and stress. A very passive approach. People suffer in silence. How bout some real MWR. Organize events instead of just setting up tents.General order #1 sucks. Beer making kits should be distributed to all.

Inept leadership

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with, some opportunity if you are former military and know how to be a political animal.

Cons

Top leadership is fluid, 3 CEOs in 4 years, layoffs are frequent, no pay raises no matter how well you perform, "You get to keep your job"

Why bother, they wouldn't listen.

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!