DynCorp International

Updated 12 October, 2014
Updated 12 October, 2014
3.3

James Geisler

Pros
  • Good pay compared to some of the other companies (in 28 reviews)

• Hours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Logistics(parts/materials) Living Accomodations (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management does not communicate effectively so issues constantly arise (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Glad that the old management is gone.

Current Employee - Program Financial Analyst in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Program Financial Analyst in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The New leadership is much more professional, trustworthy, and focused. While the company has challenges, it feels like we have actual leadership now. The prior management was largely focused on friendships with each other, not business, and the results show the damage -- the only people hired or that prospered were friends of the CEO-- now, merit and competence seems to count. the new management is much, much better.

Cons

The damage from prior management will take months, if not years, to reverse. Over the past 2 years, the company was eroded-- it will take time to overcome the prior leadership dysfunction. that said, I am confident that it will be turned around.

DynCorp doesn't care

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are really in need of employment and can't find anything else then work here only to gain experience and then leave after a year. Otherwise, I don't recommend working here.

Cons

DI is top heavy and pay only its upper management personnel. They don't care about the support staff, often lose bids on proposal due to POOR PAST PERFORMANCE ratings, and has a bad reputation with the government. They are a sinking ship!

Clean house!! of your upper management who have fat paychecks, stop hiring your siblings, and other family members and promote HONESTLY within the minorities who are qualified. Stop promoting those caucasians who are NOT qualified. Stop lying to the government!!!

Challenging

Current Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay compared to some of the other companies.

Cons

No mobility in HR. Very limited HR positions available.

Value the people you have.

Stressful

Former Employee - Senior Manager (HR) in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager (HR) in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay well. Good benefits.

Cons

Always on fear of job being eliminated due to forces beyond your control. (I.E. Sequestration)

N/A

Even Ethics does not do the right thing

Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist Senior in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist Senior in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High salaries per experience and a ton of flex time during the week.

Cons

I had a manager who broke every rule on the social contract. I reported it to Ethics because it was getting out of hand. Ethics said, "yeah, there are some bad managers out there but just because he lies or treats you bad does not mean anything.. but I will talk to them about the internal training you aren't getting". I was given permission for training immediately afterwards and a couple weeks after that I was let go in a so called "lay-off"! I contacted Ethics regarding "retaliation" and they wouldn't respond for 6+ months. Later found out that my boss had lied again to Ethics in a cover-up so Ethics just left it at that. Would not look into the matter.
    Turnover is significant. More than any company I've ever seen. I had 7 different managers during my few years tenure. None of whom are with the company any more. Further, leadership portrays unethical standards in cost representation to the government.

The right thing doesn't come from you.

Stay away! Bait and switch

Current Employee - Mobile Training Team in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Mobile Training Team in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The team leads are good first line managers. Working with team mates if the best part of the job.

Cons

Dyncorp has very little concern for employees. When complaints about recent 60% pay cut were voiced! management related they had hundreds of propel to take out place.

Instructional knowledge is something you should try to hang on to. The new contract in Palestine will go into default, can't run two sites at 30% staffing

Management

Former Employee - Anonymous in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Serve and support our military and Department of State all over the world. Recognition to families that have lost ones that were DynCorp employees. Great people on the ground that work hard and love what they do. Hire a lot of former military.

Cons

At high levels of leadership, they don't follow their published values, it is mostly for show. Let go of good people and they retain the political ones and no employment security. Company is in turmoil due to poor leadership, a lot of been fired but seems as if some are still there.

Private equity company, retain those who produce and don't get fooled by political and suit characters who tend to be all air about themselves.

Inept leadership

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, some opportunity if you are former military and know how to be a political animal.

Cons

Top leadership is fluid, 3 CEOs in 4 years, layoffs are frequent, no pay raises no matter how well you perform, "You get to keep your job"

Why bother, they wouldn't listen.

Moving to the positive

Former Employee - Quality Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

My direct report and management team were professional and very team oriented. Corporate seems intent on building a company built on true professionalism and rooting out the "buddy system" systemic in overseas contracting.

My experience with the company was overall very positive

Cons

Many departments lacked continuous improvement input from their front line personnel. Many of my friends from other departments experienced a far courser work life from their senior management team.

More emphasis on education, experience, skill, aptitude, and attitude during hiring.

Walking on egg shells, very unstable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Been here a long time and make good salary.
    Big campaign to promote their ethics and culture.
    I am trusted and respected for my skills and knowledge for the most part, which is as I expect to get anywhere, as I highly skilled and have 2.5 decades of expertise.

Cons

Extremely unstable; employees live in culture of fear and exhaustion. Rounds of lay offs every year if you are not a union employee working a specific contract. Funding for various projects is always hard to come by even for regular much needed maintenance.
    2 years of zero merit pay increases across the board and benefits reduced.
    AWFUL work hours on call 24x7 for weeks at a time. Some weekends worked continuously.
    Very top down organizational chain of command with a strong reaction to employee's voicing questions or criticism. Not a collaborative culture.
    Very few opportunities for advancement.
    The promotion of the DI Start as their ethics and culture is superficial. SR management does not act it out.

Make employees feel valued with even a tiny pay increase. Stop the executive and senior management perks. Stop trying to trim the corporate overhead jobs, cutting benefits, and constantly rearranging the reporting structure. So much change is not making it better, only creating doubt and fear. Create opportunities for employees to grow their skill and value.

DynCorp International Photos