Duff & Phelps Reviews

Updated 8 April, 2015
141 reviews filtered by

1. Easy but don't expect too much compensation

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Work isn't that taxing, and can lead to good experience to spring board you somewhere else.

Cons

Lower than industry compensation, favoritism, in-house politics. Don't think of this place as a career-path, because no one else besides upper level employees do.

2. Valuation Shop Only

I worked at Duff & Phelps

Pros

Decent training, sometimes light hours

Cons

HQ offices believe they are superior. Low pay, politics, lots of b.s.

Advice to Management

Be more clear about long term plan. Don't be so fake.

Make your own way

I have been working at Duff & Phelps

Pros

With some effort, patience and skill, there are doors that open at Duff and Phelps, and you have flexibility to create your own work environment

Cons

Transitioning from a good analyst to a good manager to being good at business development. The transition is necessary in order to progress, but it is not easy.

5. Not a good place if you have pride in your work.

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

job security - if you are horrible, they will never fire you. you can lie on your timecard and no one will care as long as they can pass along your hours to their clients.

Cons

bonuses are horrible and so is total comp relative to competitors. They are more interested in getting fees from clients that doing good work. If you are a good worker, you will constantly be asked to pick up the slack from other, bad workers but you will not be compensated for it and they will never be fired.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy. If you want to retain and keep good talent you have to show the good talent that you care, both by career advancement opportunities and better pay than the less motivated or capable staff. Stop rewarding slackers that never show up and lie on their timecards.

Huge turnover of employees with no promise for a future.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Duff & Phelps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people and a nice working environment.

Cons

No positions available for none cash generating positions. Long hours for all employees.

Advice to Management

Give good workers a chance to advance and offer them benefits.

7. D&P

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are the best thing about the company which being that the company is a consulting firm, is no real big surprise. The work is also very interesting and helps lay a great foundation of technical skills.

Cons

The organization is a little siloed and when chasing new deals, there seems to be a lot of angst about helping peers. This is almost detrimental to the ability to land new jobs. The compensation plan of management encourages this behavior.

Advice to Management

Focus on removing the silos and foster a culture that encoruages working intra and inter divisions.

If you care about your career, don't work here. If simply need any job you can get, well then go for it.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people working at Duff...that's pretty much it.

Cons

Insufficient training
    Uncaring leadership
    Random rounds of layoffs
    Lots of in fighting
    Lots of favoritism
    Under development of junior staff
    Terrible bonuses
    Average base pay
    Zero work-life balance
    Performance management process is a joke.
    No modeling for juniors until 2+ years at the firm.
    Formatting things until your hands begin to cramp.
    People stealing credit for your work.
    Cliques are everywhere.
    You cannot trust anyone because almost everyone gossips.

Advice to Management

Pay should equal effort. Stop lowballing employees.

Encourage senior staff to be more engaging with junior staff.

Stop trying to motivate employees thru promises of good bonuses. The bonuses never live up to the hype.

9. DP

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good learning experience for college grads

Cons

Compensation was not above market for top performers

Never again.

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The admins were cool. All very down to earth.

Cons

- The culture was in my opinion, very pretentious (which is surprising because well... its D&P).
    - Expect a bonus that is only 10-20% of what your peers would be getting at top MM firms and bulges... if they screw you more beyond that, it may be close to 5% of what others are receiving.
    - No structure. The training in the boonies of Illinois was a JOKE. I learned nothing sitting with my peers in the Tax, Valuation, Dispute Consulting, Transfer Pricing... etc. How do they expect to properly train employees in the IB practice when we have 2 weeks to learn about D&P's laundry list of other practices...
    - You have to study for the series on your own WHILE WORKING 100+ hour weeks. That's right. D&P offers ZERO training or separate time for you to prep for your series exam so expect to be cramming/extremely tired your first 3 months on the job studying and working simultaneously. You have to take both the series 79 and 63 and after a few more months... the series 7 as well.
    - If you want to work on M&A, this is not the right firm. If you want to scrub comps, work on Salesforce (looking up contact information and data entry) and pitch all day and all night, this will be the right firm for you.
    - Aside from training being unstructured, the analyst program itself is unstructured, as well as, the firm. Because the firm is trying to compete with bigger banks, a lot of investment is going into building an FSG practice. What does that mean for analysts? SALESFORCE ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT. Expect to become an expert at looking up addresses, phone numbers, websites, port cos, etc. It will make you question why you went to a university in the first place.
    - Have you ever heard about a bank that offers $25 of dinner meal reimbursements but yells at you for eating $20-25 meals? I didn't until I worked at D&P. I can't count how many times MDs have pulled me into their office because my meals were "too expensive." Maybe they should reconsider working me to the ground before complaining to me about my dinner expenses.
    - If you want to work yourself to the ground, while not getting paid appropriately for the hours and having to be cognizant about your dinner expenses at chipotle AND have no exit opps when you try to leave, by all means-- this may be the place for you!

Advice to Management

If you want to compete with bigger banks, I suggest you start paying employees like they work at bigger banks and giving them similar perks.

11. Decent work/life balance

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent work /life balance here

Cons

company is poorly run - too much fighting amongst groups over who gets the revenue versus actually maximizing revenue for the firm