Dress Barn

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe

David R. Jaffe

Pros:
  • "You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "40% discount on all regular priced items"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "constant pressure to meet sales goals and quotas with very little reward"
    in 8 reviews
  • "if you want upper management it's harder to get into"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No Support

Store Mnanger (Former Employee)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is only one reason and that is the part time associates become your family! You do build great relationships with internal and external customers.

ConsIt depends on the upper management that you answer to. There are many in district and regional positions who do not support the stores. They can be fake and demanding of the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO: visit stores and listen to what is really going on! Don't be believe the district and regional leaders!

A value based company looking to inspire it's talent to grow and develop

Store Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance, Inspiring, Encourages Development, Opinions encouraged, Innovative, Promotes from within

ConsNot well known, Less then average pay, Poor marketing techniques.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust work on making sure all Districts, as well as Regions are following same practices, I network and have heard not at DLs are as inspiring, reachable, and caring as my DL is.This is unfortunate since the reason I'll stay with this company is because I feel they care about me as a person and are invested in my development with the hope I will grow to succeed. My DL makes me feel like Dressbarn not only allows, but encourages these values. Other SLs and ASLs will leave because they don't have this same support. You will lose some incredibly valuable talent because their DL's don't support their development or even give them enough support to help run their business. How can we grow to be great if we don't have anyone to challenge us to be better. That being said, I'm incredibly satisfied with my career. I'm given support and advice when needed, and allowed to run my business with trust and confidence that I will make the right decisions. My DL finds the best in me, celebrates my successes, develops my opportunities, pushes me to be greater, and all around inspires me to do better and succeed. Thank You for the changes you've made and for simply listening to what we have to say. There are few things more important then knowing you're at the very least, being heard.

like!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time for more than a year

ProsSomewhat friendly coworkers and no early early mornings.

ConsNo Cons its wonderful to work for this company.

It was a very pleasant work place. E had many returne customers, my co-workers were very helpful.

Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Crystal, MN (US)

I worked at Dress Barn part-time for less than a year

ProsThe employee discounts were great! Working with the customers was a lot of fun. Helping them find pieces of clothing and making a couple of outfits out of two or three garments.

ConsScheduling the hours was difficult. Some weeks there were a lot of hours of work time and other weeks they were short.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause of the part-time hours, there was no vacation time, no sick days, no paid time off.

I have been with DB as a Store Leader for 3 years

Store Leader (Current Employee)
Huntersville, NC (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDB is growing and evolving to become more relevant in the fashion retail world. I have always found the DSM and RSM I have to be wonderful coaches and truly invested in my development and personal growth as well as the growth of my business.
I have read some very negative comments from current and former associates, and honestly, it seems that we work for totally different companies.

ConsTechnology is updating very slowly, we need to grow much quicker! We still do markdowns and ad sets in an antiquated manner. It takes too much time away from our mission statement to take care of our customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere seems to be a serious breakdown in certain Regions and Districts regarding the messages we are hearing from CEO and VP's regarding the "new" culture. There are many clinging to the old Dressbarn, this also pertains to Store Leaders and their teams!

Was Satisfied at first store but really dissatisfied at second

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Branson, MO (US)

I worked at Dress Barn part-time for more than a year

ProsHelping people look and feel good about themselves. I always liked seeing customers come in not knowing what they really wanted and would help them pick out different outfits and seeing how happy they were when they like what they purchased. One of the best feelings is seeing somebody's confidence go up after they try on an outfit they thought was too colorful for them but they would try it on anyway and if they only bought one outfit that day that would be the one they would buy.

ConsThe second location I worked at was not that great of an experience. I felt like I had to be part of the Clique to work there and I don't care about fitting in I cared more about doing my job.

Advice to Senior Managementget all of your stores on the same page. I worked at two vastly different stores One in Branson and one In Jefferson City Mo. I loved working at the store in Branson and looked forward to getting up and going to work. The store in Jefferson City I dreaded getting up and having to go in. I would suggest someone work there depending on the location.

2 many cheifs not enough indains

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time for more than a year

ProsLove the styles and clients enjoy the stores atmosphere

Consto many rules lack of communication among the staff and management a lot of drama

Advice to Senior Managementwork with your people talk to them and keep a eye on the way staff interacts with the clients

Ok enjoyed working with clients

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Dress Barn part-time for more than a year

ProsGetting to know your customers style and helping them put together outfits.

ConsNever enough hours and schedule always getting changed

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication between management and associates.

Great Work Family

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Mobile, AL (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than a year

ProsHours available if willing to work, small enough that team members feel like family, great discount

ConsPay could be better, and more benefits needed for part-timers

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation by surprising associates. Stop nick-picking just to find something to criticize.

Friendly co-workers

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Suffern, NY (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople were friendly and great to work with

ConsSalary was below average, family/work balance wasn't quite true

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to really believe in the family/work balance!

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dress Barn reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Dress Barn CEO David R. Jaffe. All 135 reviews are posted anonymously by Dress Barn employees.