Douglas Emmett Reviews

3.9
Jordan L. Kaplan

1. Featured Review

Solid Growing company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable and consistence company. You are able to learn so much and grow within the company as well as in your building with all tenants. You really become apart of the DE family. I have learned so much and grew so much in the short time that I have been working for Douglas Emmett.

Cons

Very challenging and high expectations. You must be strong to make it at Douglas Emmett. If you do your job the company will take care of you!

Advice to Management

Constant training and coaching to all staff it makes us stronger and give opportunities to advance within the company.

2. Support the Community Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team and very professional and hard working. I been with company for 9 years and started as an administrative assistant. DE gave me an opportunity to prove myself and move up.

Cons

DE started giving more training in customer service and any type of position you are working

Advice to Management

Great company, substantial amount of room to grow within the company

3. Commercial Property Manager

Former Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Douglas Emmett

Pros

Room for growth, fast paced environment, compensation is good for the people wok hard and maintain a positive attitude. This is a growing company that promotes from within. Very structured, efficient and organized. Goals and objectives are clearly defined and those who deliver are rewarded. If you are interested in working for a fast paced corporate Property Management company that allows room or growth Douglas Emmett is a great company.

Cons

Portfolio is concentrated primarily in West Los Angeles, Hawaii and the valley.

5. Admininstrative Assistant

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

The work environment will vary from building to building, from what has been told to me my building is one of the smoothest running ones because the staff is pretty awesome. My time here has been short but so far I enjoy coming to work everyday because the day runs so smoothly you don't even feel the time fly by. Every one that I have encountered is usually very happy to be where they are at ( in my building) so it makes the work day easy because no body complains about the job. You must be a self-starter do not come into the company and expect to have your hand held while you learn things it definitely will not go that way.

Cons

If you live far from the coast (Santa Monica area) and don't like to drive this is not for you because I live border line Downtown LA and commute is about 1 hour in the morning and about 1.5 in the evening. The benefits are pretty pricey compared to what salary is being offered and the plans offered don't allow for much flexibility for your pocket. I don't like to hear others opinions or experiences with other property managers because I don't want my own view to become skewed however, it seems that I happened to fall in with a great PM as there are very surprising stories with others that can promote the fear of actually getting moved to a building where one of those is at.

Advice to Management

Look into better benefit packages with different carriers.

6. Senior Accountant

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful very friendly people working at Douglas Emmett Management LLC. I feel right at home with my new family on my first day!!

Cons

There are no negative aspects about Douglas Emmett Management LLC

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!

7. Operating Engineer

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Encino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Encino, CA (US)

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Douglas Emmett has given me the opportunity threw out the years to show my potential and have been reward appropriately .

Cons

I have nothing but good thing's to say about the company that I work for. Loyalty and hard work has put me where I'm at.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key that has gotten us threw good and bad times.

8. Assistant Community Manager

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

Douglas Emmett is a great company to work for. They are about growth opportunities, advancement from within and Quality. The work environment is both professional and welcoming.

Cons

You can only work 5 days a week :-)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

9. Property Manager

Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Douglas Emmett has a long-standing culture of developing and supporting its employees. We have many employees who have started out at entry level positions and are now in leadership positions. We also have a lot of employees who have worked for the company for over 15 years. That alone speaks volumes of what kind of company we have. This company values longevity and invests in competent and hard working employees. They offer stability and plenty of opportunities for growth.

Cons

This company has grown so fast that it is hard to keep track of new employees.

10. Leasing Agent

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time

Pros

Great team to work with. Best overall team I have worked with so far. Very welcoming and professional. A very calm environment, which is always welcomed.

Cons

Benefits are way to expensive, with the hourly pay that you get, there is just no way to afford benefits. This is a problem.

Advice to Management

No advice, management is great. Wouldn't change a thing.

11. A well rooted company with a commitment to the smallest detail

I have been working at Douglas Emmett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company on the move, with an ever expanding profolio that is creating new opportunities for growth within the company. An great environment where you can learn the commercial real estate industry from the ground up. You really become apart of the DE family and culture the longer you are with the company. Putting in the hard work does pay off but you need to let your goals be know if you ever want to reach them.

Cons

There are too much turn over within the company. Compensation or incentives need to improve, there are too many other companies out there paying more for the managers and engineers that DE basically training for them, instead of providing the incentives to stay with the company. This loss of top preforming talent is a long term issue the company need to address.
    As the company has grown it needs to be cautious of become too top heavy, with too many layers that make the decision making process more cumbersome.
    The companies 15 promises are too many which dilutes there importance and value.

Advice to Management

Find more opportunities for the staff in sub market to interact and cross train so they can learn for each other and share their knowledge.
    Need to pay more attention to company retention and turn over rates. We need to show our employees that they are our number one asset and show them how important they are to the company susses.
    Raise the minimum starting salary of the lowest earning employees to attract the top preforming talent that the company standards demand.