Dominican University of California

Updated 14 December, 2014
Updated 14 December, 2014
3.3

CEO

Good place to work and study

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Dominican University of California full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, supportive co-workers, tuition benefits, exciting time of growth for the university. Senior management has strong vision for future. Faculty very supportive and dedicated to students.

Cons

Not much in the budget for support staff, so everyone must get used to multi-tasking.

Work Study Position

Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there are many positions available for work study

Cons

Do not always fee appreciated for the work I do

Up and coming school that supports their teachers

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great small school with an enthusiastic, caring staff that lets you get creative in how to teach your students. Easy access to collaboration.

Cons

Being a smaller school, it does not have the resources of a school like Berkeley so sometimes you have to go outside the box to find resources

Keep on building a core staff and clarify the message.

Beautiful place to work

Current Employee - Staff in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The campus, benefits and people are a huge draw. The workload is heavy, yet the pace feels slower than the corporate world. You have the opportunity to advance your education and that of your children. You can attend lectures and performances. It is an enriching, peaceful and beautiful campus. The HR staff have been very helpful on more than one occasion and they are the most professional and polite department on campus. Your job is what you make of it, show up on-time and give it your best every day.

Cons

It has been challenging to get time off. Departments are sleek and the loss of a member can be burdensome. The work-life balance needs help. Some offices are old and dated, no heat or air conditioning and working in a loud cramped office that gets hot or freezing can get irritating.

Shorten the hiring process. Treat all levels of staff with dignity and respect. Encourage time-off and lead by example.

Assistant

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time

Pros

Great at allowing time off.

Cons

Don't want people to contradict senior management.

The faculty and staff are being destroyed by bully tactics, management by gossip, and dictatorship

I worked at Dominican University of California (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a beautiful small university. Things became bad towards the last several years of the previous president. We were all filled with hope and prepared for the hard work of strengthening our university under a new president and new leadership. Unfortunately, things have not gone well and many are losing hope.

Cons

The current leadership = robotic, vicious, yes (wo)men.

HR witch hunts are allowed and this has created an environment of fear. Expect retaliation for critical thought. Several departments have been divided and nearly destroyed by HR plotting people against each other. The power structure is becoming increasingly odd.

Stop chopping off the heads of people who know how to move us toward the future.

I encourage faculty, in particular, to communicate with Board members. The cabinet is behaving like a middle-school clique. I encourage staff to document all HR and managerial missteps and work together to remove the bullying, hostile mentality.

Small minded and political

I worked at Dominican University of California full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Lovely campus.

Cons

In my experience working as staff member, the staff and administration is fraught with politics, favoritism, cliques, and bureaucracy. The quality, quantity and efficiency with which I was able to produce my work was completely overlooked so that my supervisor's OCD tendencies could be coddled by upper-level management and HR. It seemed to me that the institution would have preferred a poorly-skilled wage slave over a competent, talented worker who had lots to bring... I was subject to (what I feel) was borderline harassment by an utterly inflexible supervisor. My attempts to work with HR to resolve the problem were useless, and my experience was that, ultimately, HR is involved in the politics of the institution and not there to advocate for employees or resolve differences. I can't recommend working here, at least on the staff. Maybe the experience for faculty is different...

Trust your hiring decisions and back them. Recognize and advocate for talented and intelligent people on your staff, and realize that they are there to enhance and improve the quality of your own work and life, so make use of their talents and skills. Be FLEXIBLE, or risk losing good people.

A small university with big potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California (more than an year)

Pros

It's a creative, intellectually stimulating environment. The campus is situated in a picturesque park-like setting. The staff and faculty are friendly and help support each other. Nice perks include use of the athletic facilities, free access to performing arts, some public lectures and reduced tuition, or the option to audit classes.

Cons

Certain departments are understaffed and underfunded. Getting policies and procedures approved can be arduous. Pay rates (other than faculty) for this non-profit University is under industry standards.

There could be better communication around career development. For staff retention, the cost of higher compensation should be compared to the cost/time for hiring new staff and determining the overall negative impact on business.

Collegial environment, bringing organization in line with the modern world

I have been working at Dominican University of California

Pros

Colleagues in academic world are genuinely committed to students and strengthening of the University. Relatively strong new president with a challenging board of trustees. Some great staff members who tirelessly support the mission.

Cons

HR function worse than bad and totally bloated while the rest of the organization is tightening its belt. I don't know of anyone who feels they can trust HR or its "leaders", rely on HR to do its job or rely on expertise of HR. Hiring is a nightmare. Many strong candidates lost because of lack of professionalism and support in HR. Weak technology department. Dorms in disrepair which causes students to move off campus. Weak admissions department.

Focus on students.

Adjunct faculty

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Rafael, CA (US)

I worked at Dominican University of California as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

New science building has all the necessary services and tools to provide a great lecture. Great group of students in the MS in biology. Program has grown significantly in the last 4 years.

Cons

Almost no interaction with other adjunct or full-time faculty. Parking can be issue from 8 to 5 pm

None