Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser

Bob Sasser

Pros:
  • "Easy to work with other employees because there arent that many but enough that you can request off if need be"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good place to work if you are looking for part time work"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Minimum wage unless you're management, but even then it's only about"
    in 33 reviews
  • "To top it off, upper management doesn't appear to have their act together either"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent work environment!

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
Moose Jaw, SK

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsNice time members, very organized shores, very good training, management is supportive, easy job tasks.

ConsPart-time positions get few hours and it´s not easy to get full time position. Pay is not too much. High turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should pay more to keep your employees.

Good job for full time student.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for more than a year

ProsNice co-workers and supervisors. Flexible hours for a busy student. Been working here for over a year and this is a good pocket money job.

ConsMy supervisors work very hard, but should be paid more/ receive more recognition from management. No benefits(even though they said they had some), sometimes paid incorrectly(did not get paid extra for holiday work), no raises(no matter how long you work there for).

Advice to Senior ManagementShould give good supervisors promotions and chances to move up the ladder. Have more realistic daily task goals for each store/employee. Too much work to do and so little time!

Great Manager Great Distruct Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for more than a year

ProsHours always in the 30+ range. Promote from within, Good Healthcare. Its considered secondary healthcare so you qualify for ACA benefits. I pay $17 a month for Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Smart move by upper management to classift thier healthcare as secondary, it makes the job worthwhle.

ConsLast minute shedule changes, flat organization, not enough hours to stock. All the employees want to see the store do well and if we just had one more person to stock our revenue would jump.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees feeling important. My manager and District Manager make us feel important. Treated with a great deal of respect. Great co-workers to work with daily. Promote peope like my manager and district manager that have the know how to run retail and let emloyees know they are valued.

Fun, friendly, and very enjoyable.

Cashier (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for more than a year

ProsCustomer service and excellent co-workers.

ConsHours are not quite enough..

Advice to Senior ManagementMore cross training.

It was a great place to work.

Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI loved working there, it was fun and easy. the atmosphere was great the customers where always very nice.

ConsSometimes there weren't enough people working during busy hours or days, the company rises weren't that great, and at the dollar tree I was working at when there was a position to move up in the company they would ask people that just started for the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees and who you are hiring, not everyone is doing the best at the job. Also show that you care about the people that work for you ,3% for a rise is kinda low for the stuff that cashiers have to deal with.

It was alright working there

Cashier and Stock (Former Employee)
Oakdale, MN (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

ProsAll of the people I worked with were awesome, the manager was the best manager because she would tell me to do this an this and just let me do it she didn't bother me with anything unless it was important or something serious

Consover time they started cutting my hours to down around 5-10 hours a week and that wasn't cutting it just getting less then 100 dollars a week, the only other con would be the district manager for the twin cities area in Minnesota she has no regard to how people are as in when its hot out and moving boxes around for inventory in the heat in a gaint warehouse and wont let anyone take a break that not how you run a company, also she put me on the no hire list because she didn't like how I did my job, it worked better then what she had done all she does is complain, she needs to go.

Advice to Senior Managementthe only advice I have is don't treat you employees like they are mindless tools, be compassionate when they need time off because of unfortunate events in their life there are always another person that can use those extra hours.

Not a bad place to work if you are willing to work.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI enjoyed my time I spent with this company. I had a great dm to work for, and as long as I did my job to run a great store than I had no issues. I left for more money , but have thoughts of trying to return back as a dm. The pros were being able to make your own schedule, and it being flexible. Fast paced environment that changes constantly. You can create the culture you want in your four walls. Company has a good business model, and is very stable.

ConsVery physical, and have a lack of hours for proper staffing. Upper management is the good old boys network that has some people in place that do not understand the nature of the business. You also have to be prepared for long hours as this is retail, and that means holidays. Company is building stores right on top of each other, and if this happens to your store you can say goodbye to your bonus. Customers can be great, but you also see the under belly of society in this business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within- you have great store managers and dm's that should be moving upwards. Stop bringing in leaders of failed companies when you already have the talent that knows how to make your company successful.

This was an overall good experience.

Cashier and Stock (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsI was able to gain experience as a cashier, so counting money and interacting with people. These are two good skills that many will need moving forward in their careers (especially people skills).

ConsThe store management lacked accountability from within which led to internal issues. Pay (minimum wage) does not match the work we had to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with the employees and store management to be more on one accord with the stores needs.

Assistant Store Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Clifton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than a year

ProsFlex schedule under the right manager.
Good staff, benefits for full time employees, ability to transfer state to state.
Great merchandise.
Great starting opportunity.

ConsPay is not good for the amount of work involved.
not enough staff to help customers and customer become rightfully angry.
some store in dangerous location without security or amble lighting at night.
night bank deposit are dangerous at certain locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider having no less that 3 - 4 plus management regular staff members on schedule at all times. This will ensure cleanliness of store, stocking and most important proper assistant available to customers on the sales floor. I worked in retail for over 20 years in all aspects, and this is the first high traffic company with the least amount of proper staffing. Its unrealistic for certain districts. It might work for certain areas but you must consider the location when staffing. Good company can be one of the greater ones with a better retail structure.
Offer your staff a better salary and you can get some real quality people on board. Consider Costco and Trade Joe type companies when staffing, they have happy team members and its always a pleasant experience for the customer.

high paced

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
University Place, WA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

Prosvery happy environment, fast paced. Great bosses

Consso much to do so little time. Not the best paying job..

Advice to Senior Managementkeep busting you butts

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Dollar Tree CEO Bob Sasser. All 432 reviews are posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees.