Dollar Tree Reviews in Chesapeake, VA

Updated 3 July, 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • Easy to work with other employees because there arent that many but enough that you can request off if need be (in 12 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The starting pay is minimum wage and you only get the barest on raises once a year (in 44 reviews)

• I feel as though the company or just the local upper management (unsure which it is really (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Many Unhappy People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent salary possible if you negotiate, but they will offer you much less than you are worth if they can get away with it.

Cons

This is a company that got too big too fast. Not enough employees for the workload, not filling gaps when people leave the company. The focus on company culture seems like something they do because they have to, ex. write these goals that are exactly what we want you to say, not your actual goals. No open communication between management and employees. HR is total crap. Most people who work here are miserable in my opinion. In our weekly meeting representatives for upper management would sit there and check email and texts on their phone clearly being unable to spare twenty minutes a week to care about and or encourage their employees. Bottom line is this company is about profit and profit only, and does not care about internal morale.

Care more about your employees, listen to supervisors when they ask you for things to make life better instead of penalizing them for it.

Lost the best years of my life working for a company that never cared for employees

Former Employee - Accountant in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing positive to say, poor company culture, would not recommend even to my worst enemy.

Cons

Free soda at the cafeteria that's all, you don't even get decent office supplies at the corporate office, they make you sign your name when you get your supply of white out eraser!

Get out from your comfortable and big offices, smell the roses and interact with the lower class employees, most of all please smile and acknowledge employees when you see them in hallways!

I learned a lot working here... and its don't do it very rude management.

Former Employee - Stocker in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Stocker in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like customers and like being helpful this this could work for you.

Cons

Dealing with constant questions how much is this or very rude managers

Learn respect for employees

Corporate Politics

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about Dollar Tree were my co-workers and that it was a financially stable company.

I loved my job tremendously and left on my own, due to a fantastic job offer.

Cons

Unfairness to employees, company politics, poor pay raises, favoritism among employees.

My immediate supervisor tried to intimidate me into following his rules and not company policy. He does not like women and especially those that challenge him. Supervisor had very poor communication skills and interpersonal skills.

A Vice President intimidates and bullies people in his department if they disagree with anything he says.

Very few female executives and very few executives that are not Caucasian.

Take home pay decreased every year for about 5 years, due to very low pay increases and continues increases in health care costs and taxes. I could no longer afford to work there.

Value your employees and prove that they are valued. Most of them work very hard for DT and deserve to be treated better.

Decent place to get a start, difficult to build long career

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time

Pros

Work with a lot of really experienced people in a very unique business model. Learn to be adaptable and flexible to meet the business needs at a low cost.

Cons

Defined career paths are almost non existent at any level. There is no clearly communicated opportunities for advancement in any one area. As such the company has a degree of title deflation.

Work to ensure that high potential employees have avenues for career advancement within the company.

Challenging Work Environment

Current Employee - Manager in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is fair. Success is rewarded financially.

Cons

The workload is immense and the expectations are unrealistic. There is an extreme culture of micromanagement and finger pointing.

Trust your people.

I feel very fortunate to have ended up here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Corporate culture values making the office an enjoyable place to spend the workweek, and work-life balance is a priority. Associates tend to be friendly, yet focused on achieving success for the company. The self-centered career-maniac types, or just plain poor workers, may find it hard to advance. Hard work and smarts will be noticed and rewarded. I feel that Dollar Tree has recognized and values my talents, and that no matter what direction the company takes in the ensuing years, there will be a place for me (job security).

Mistakes are viewed as learning opportunities, and it will take someone a lot of flubbing up before losing their job. I have enjoyed a lot of autonomy in my job. The expectation is that I use sound judgment and make decisions on my own, seeking guidance when needed. Management appreciates creative thinking, and that sometimes "asking forgiveness instead of asking permission" is the right call.

Bonuses are based primarily on company performance and can get really big when the company performs well, which it typically has over the past several years. The company has proven adept at consistent growth during my time here, and expects to continue growing for the foreseeable future.

401(k) match is better than average (100% match up to 4% of pay).

Associates regularly rub shoulders with and participate in projects and meetings with the executives. The company president knows me by name and is aware of what I am doing for the company. Particular to my department, our VP is always accessible, like just another member of the group, and is very loyal to those who work under him.

Cons

Health care premiums are high, and I wish HR would offer more incentives to improve health and lower cost (see "free soda" below). The obese chain-smokers (and there are plenty in the office) and I pay the same.

Dollar Tree is light on perks, but I dig the ones we have (free birthday lunch and other free lunches during the year, soda fountain in the cafe, occasional blue jeans on Friday).

There is little difference in yearly salary increase between those who "exceed expectations" and those who just do enough to keep their jobs. The real boost in compensation will usually come from promotion, which may include a larger bonus and stock award.

Promises,Promises

Current Employee - Buyers Assistant in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Buyers Assistant in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pro's are job stability and some dedicated co-workers. A modern work area and café.

Cons

New stuffed shirt Managers that they hire off of the street, that know nothing about the job. Associates do all of the work, with little recognition, they make the big bucks.

"Where did the fun,I'm proud to work here, go"?

Great place to work

Current Employee - IT Help Desk in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Help Desk in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and decent pay. Co workers are great to work with. Different types of work schedules to help work around school.

Cons

Not alot of advance chances. Pay increases can be low at times. No ice on the weekends to get drinks.

Great company to work for!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company Culture
    Cafeteria had great Food

Cons

Management should be better qualified

Dollar Tree Photos