Dixons Retail

Dixons Retail Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James

Sebastian James

challenging and fast moving atmosphere

Sales Colleague (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time for more than a year

Prosevery day was different, better than other reatial jobs where its very boring. great team aspect amongst staff.

Consmanagers can be too pushy, you're only as good as you're last sale.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more leniant

Challenging but enjoyable

Retail Support Centre (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCan be an exciting and challenging place to work with constant change throughout the business to combat the competition. Benefits are fairly good with plenty of opportunity to move into different roles if you have the right aptitude. Leadership team are working hard to make it a better place to work, focussing on results of colleague engagement surveys.

ConsIf working in a store role, you need to be customer focussed first and foremost and able to deal with challenging targets. So if this isn't you, Dixons is not for you. Starting pay is just above minimum wage but as you progress through training, pay gets much better. In the Support Centre, it can be tricky to move between functions and work needs to be done on the available development / training.

Great work environment. Tough and loads of change during downturn, out the other side now!

Social Media Role (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI like that this company is based out of London (albeit in Hemel Hempstead!). A real positive that this company is changing, and fast, all for the better. And now that we are 'back' after some difficult times, great to be the retailer that gets the exclusives and the product launches, so good fun if you like technology. Great new stores coming through and nice to work for senior management that genuinely care about a) customers and b) bringing colleagues from across the business closer together

ConsHemel Hempstead is great geographically but not chock full of entertainment in itself. Head office rather dated but that is being addressed

Cool tech, but high staff turnaround due to unprofessionalism

Sales Colleague (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time

Pros-Great people
-Pay increase opportunities are easily obtained
-Hands on with new tech

Cons-Low expectation of promotion
-Pay increases although frequent, are miniscule
-Huge pressure to sell warranties
-Huge pressure on "numbers" and fixing of customer sales
-Threat of termination of contract from managers at every level
-Culture of avoiding customers to fix numbers
-Snake oil merchants with products and policies
-After working with them for 6 months it is no wonder they are frequently on consumer advice shows
-The company is designed around trying to impress unseen and unheard shareholders, NOT the workers or public.
-Praise for good work is awful, the company has created a computer system where colleagues can send a "thank you" and "well done" message to each other.
There is no need for this and is seen by most staff as a replacement for basic human contact.

Advice to Senior ManagementPound note & margin sales are just as important (if not more) as playing the numbers game with Solution Quotient.
Sales=margin=profit
Improvement of customer service needed, colleagues are expected to be trained in customer service, this is not true of all staff however.
There is no need to threaten colleagues with dismissal after missing only small targets.

Great people

Technical Support Advisers (Current Employee)
Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis is an amazing place to work, full of colleagues you can learn from. Good people, a mixture of long term service and new bodies, therefore there a good mixture of competencies and skills you could take advantage of for your own development. Recognition for achievements. Professionals working together to develop great colleagues.

ConsBetter benefits would make a great deal of difference.

Most interesting work experience of my life so far!

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeing part of a business that is totally Customer centric.
Made immense changes to become stable in the Retail landscape.
Great people to work with in a fast paced but friendly culture.
Really passionate about what we do.

ConsLocation could be better and more up to date.
Not much recent training and development available but this is changing now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sharing the plans you have for your colleagues and the business like you have been over the last 3 years.

Poor, Low Pay, Obscene Targets, Constant berating on lack of Whatever Happens Careplan sales.

Sales Advisor (Current Employee)
Canterbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time for less than a year

ProsThe company does have for the most part a solid business idea, with training you can improve your positions in store too.

ConsIf you have any sort of morals then you will clash with the management in every store you work in. You are heavily targeted on your careplan sales which in short are pretty obscene in cost. The management have no empathy for their staff concerns or needs. Breaks seem to be a luxury and you have to be prepared to leave lunch half eaten and probably not finish it either.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the staff more, don't bully them, don't push them into selling Careplans or services to customers who clearly don't need them and in turn you won't have your current predicament of mis selling cases and having to dedicate a call center just to deal with complaints. "First month free" was in no means meant to be offered at our company training, yet in store management completely ignores this and forces staff to sell in this way still.

Decent job if you can sell and enjoy tech

Customer Adviser (Former Employee)
Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time for more than a year

ProsBeing around technology everyday
Flexible shifts, usually long which is good if you have to travel
Can be a friendly work environment

ConsTargets are demanding and can be difficult to achieve
Customers can be difficult
Internal systems could be more efficient
Training could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to shop floor staff more

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Run of the Mill

Logistics (Former Employee)
Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get paid on time.
Nice people to work with.
Since its an electronic retailer, an employee gets plenty of discounts on the in house products and have good local discounts.

ConsRetail Dead End jobs. No real room for good promotions. Uninteresting management, the middle management seems stuck up and not flexible.

They only look at processes and not the employee, in another words working there would just be like you're another employee number. Machines will start automating soon enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat employees like numbers.

Hard work but rewards good performers

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExpect to put in the time and the effort but rewarded for the same

ConsBusiness is always changing something

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Worked for Dixons Retail? Contribute to the Community!

Dixons Retail – Why Work for Us?

WHO WE ARE Dixons Retail plc is Europe's largest specialist electrical retailing and services company. Our aim is to bring the latest technology at the best prices to our customers combined with great advice and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dixons Retail reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Dixons Retail CEO Sebastian James. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by Dixons Retail employees.