Dixons Retail

Updated 8 December, 2014
2.9

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • 10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier (in 6 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed (in 4 reviews)

• Poor managers, low pay, stressful job, no motivation, most of the staff want to leave (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fab

Former Employee - Sales and Administrative
    Former Employee - Sales and Administrative

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lovely staff, understanding of personal problems, helpful with hours etc

Cons

Training often very difficult to complete

None

Leaving After A Year

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great colleagues, some OK benifits such as EE discount etc., most people know what they are talking about (in my store anyway).

Cons

Managers put you on a low hour contract then have you working loads of hours which you cant do!

Pay is supposed to inscrese from minimum wage to more with training but the issue is you can never get on training to get a very small pay inscrese. No comission either, you are selling loads of extras and hitting targets every month and yet you get nothing extra to show for it.

Internal benifits system is used to congratulate colleagues who have started to perform better when they were under performing but doesnt give anything to colleagues who constantly hit or exceed their targets.

Constant battles with people to get them to take things they dont always need just because the company says that a certain number of them should need it.

Whole internal systems need a rehaul, everything is seperate and mashed togeather. Buisness sales are stupidly complicated to learn with an old outated system, the hardware for the tills isnt much better. More customers could be served a lot faster if the tills were updated.

People think your on comission and thus think you want to sell them everything for your own good!

Customer service is NOT at the front of their buisness. Once a customer has given the money over the after sales service can be shocking. Managers care more about people who are into to buy again rather than people who bought yesterday meaning that the customer than gets annoyed with you when you have asked your manager to allow you to help them.

Very stressful job even though it is only selling items to customers who want to buy them.

Customers always ask for disocunt, thinking that they are in an old dogy electrical retailer who has inflated prices when you cant discount things for them, some people act as if you wont try to give them the lowest price possible, which you will as we dont get anything from it!

Pay more to colleagues who are hitting their targets and making you money!

Become more customer focused instead of KPI focused!

Hire more staff in bigger stores so that they are not understaffed and then end up with annoyed customers due to the wait.

Value your staff more.

Good people, friendly atmosphere.

Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

retail sale experience,hands on new technology.

Cons

KPI, KPI, KPI attach attach attach. more focus selling attachments then product.

sale without commission is not fair.

Curry's Sales colleague for just over 2 years.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other sales colleagues are friendly. 10% discount on most products. Paid few pence above min wage. Rare small bonus IF customers happen to say the right words "very happy" and "very good", not "great", "good" or "happy", on exit surveys.

Cons

Most colleagues talk about trying to leave from 3 months in, if not less.

PROFITS AND TARGETS NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    - The main and only care of the company seems to be PROFIT alone, despite them stating customer service is priority.
    - Constantly being threatened and given stress over not meeting sales targets.
    - Forced into hard selling, upsetting customers, just to try to reach sales target.
    - NEVER A GOOD day, always being told to work harder on targets despite already working hardest.

ALWAYS UNDERSTAFFED
    - This causes upset customers when wait time to receive even a reserved laptop reaches an hour or so.
    - puts even more stress on sales colleagues as they have to serve already agitated customers.

NO HELP TO BECOME HAPPIER WITH JOB
    - Won't change your job role to relieve the pressure you feel under even when other suitable job roles are available in store.
    - Asked to be moved from sales floor to available positions in warehouse, where I wouldn't have to constantly be told I'm failing to meet sales targets, however they still wanted to keep me on sales floor for some unknown reason - maybe because I'm actually one of the better sellers.

REFERENCE ONLY COMES FROM HR
    - Other employers are put off by lack of personal reference.
    - Can't keep to your available hours even with a few months notice. I had regular doctors appointments for months and yet I ALWAYS had shifts clashing with those appointments despite telling then verbally and in writing telling them a month + in advance I was unavailable for those shifts.
    - This means HR have me on record as regularly late and regularly skipping these shifts, and so my reference would be bad.

LOW PAY
    - There is a pay structure which means you get pay rises IF you go on training. So management try their best to stop you having any training at all.

LACK OF HELP TO IMPROVE
    - Despite asking for help to meet the targets I was being told off for not meeting, I never was given help.
    - Even though I was always being told off for bad sales, I trained new colleagues.

ALMOST NO ONE CAN STAND TO WORK LONGER THAN 6 MONTHS
    - while I have been here the only colleagues not to move are ones who have been in the company many many years and so have VERY HIGH pay, some treble what I get for the same job.
    The others who stay 1 to 3 years are students for whom this is just a few hours a week to pay for nights out. and people like me with no previous experience so the bad HR reference left me stuck for ages.

EXTREMELY SLOW OUTDATED SYSTEM
    - Offers don't load automatically, so when there are large queues its easy to forget to check if those AAAs are on BOGOF again and then have a customer comeback very unhappy because I accidentally forgot to check in the rush.
    - When checking what offers are on the tills can literally take up to 10 minutes to load the offers and then there is such a long list it is very hard to find the right offer and there is no search system, just scroll.
    - the security detaggers are often broken meaning customers embarrassed over their paid for shopping going off at the exit.
    - the tills often freeze
    - tils often break AFTER customer has entered pin meaning we have to take out the card and start again - no receipt is given to show that no money was taken the first time

BUSINESS SYSTEM SEPARATE, ALMOST MANUAL, EXTREMELY SLOW
    - takes at least 5 minutes extra to process - and that's on a small transaction and on a fast day.
    - Have to now sign customers up for it with telephone number and email.
    - Customers very understandable don't see why it takes a ridiculously long time when pretty much every other store just does it at the click of a button.
    PRODUCT CODES MANUALLY TYPED IN FOR BUSINESS

SEXIST COMMENTS
    - I am often told I have a great bottom (using worse language).
    - Photos taken of my bottom.
    - Lewd comments common

I could list more, but I feel my list is getting too long.

Treat your employees better.

Employ more staff - it will improve customer service, which will improve sales as customers will feel more inclined to buy, also staff will feel less stressed and so again sales will be more profitable.

To Head Office - GET NEW TILL SYSTEMS.
    The majority of customers comment on how slow the tills are being and how strange this is for such a large company, especially one selling PCs.
    GET AN INTEGRATED BUSINESS SYSTEM: half the business sales I put through are the last that customer wants to bother with, because it takes so long. Even just:
     adding the ability to opt out of phone and email;
     or ability to scan in products;
     or pay on the same system would help.

Satisfactory pay, easy job but poor professional development!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working environment!!! Pay structure is good, always bustling with people. For students they have very nice shift timings and they always acknowledge the hard work. Having worked in 2 different stores and under more than 5 different managers I can honestly say that the management depends on the store management. They always have nice number of holidays and mostly consider give the desired holidays to employees. Perks are good as they give 10% off to employees and mostly you can get items on cheaper price when they are discontinued. Always up to date with high- end technology!!! Enjoyed most of the time working there!!!!!!!!!!! Great experience as it was my first job in London after a long wait!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Huge challenge is sales targets. Managers keep on pushing...If you achieve your targets they push you to over- achieve it and if you don't then you will have one to one with them. Mostly managers are helpful but I have had issues related to my payment and the manager was not very helpful. Their organisational structure is designed in such a way that the lowermost employee is not able to reach the topmost boss or general manager. I had a store manager who always used to taunt me for not achieving my targets or pick up things on me- but I had no one to complain to. Moreover, they don't have proper employee development strategy. For instance, I saw some employees who were achieving their targets, were talented and had everything but were not promoted for 6 years.

Upper management can improve a lot if they want tom improve their organisational structure and strengthen their employee power. Because, employees are assets and losing assets is losing value over time. They can build up systems to recognize the talented employees in each and every store, better their pay structure and improve the interaction or communication between the lower most employees (sales person) and the top most employees (general managers) so that they can feel their importance in the organisation.

Good people and management

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

Commission was good on some products

Cons

Hours associated with airport work
    Team leaders were a bit power drunk

Retail/Business Advisor

Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company,You get a lot of grooming plus offers from other industry.

Cons

You need to work in shifts

Cool attitude of management and i am recommending it

Company does not care much about its colleagues

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy enough job if you good at sales. A lot of new technologies - which is interesting to work with. You will make a lot of good friends. People work as a team and many colleagues will help you.

Cons

No support for you from managers - they just expect you to learn to swim quick if not will help you drown quicker. If you suddenly get treated unfairly at your work - best solution is to get out. Company will not provide you with any support, they would let things get worse rather than get involved and help colleagues. Realistic support exists only for managers. In sales often be prepared to sell hard. Company says this is not what they expect of you, while you manager will tell you otherwise.

Read your own companies policies you breaking all of them - favoritism at work, often no support or respect to colleges, promoting those with pushy sales, putting numbers above real customer experience.

Tech Support Nottingham

Former Employee - Tech Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Tech Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big company, wages are generally poor so job is pretty secure

Cons

Managers are either really good and soon move on or hopelessly useless and ever present.

Value your employees; you are running a company not a detention centre

Decent opportunities to learn. Working culture ok but not overly friendly.

Former Employee - Head Office in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head Office in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

Opportunities to learn. Fast changing business.

Cons

Work culture not overly friendly and politics can get in way of getting stuff done.

Improve working culture.