Dixons Retail Reviews

Updated 15 October, 2014
3.1

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • 10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier (in 5 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed (in 4 reviews)

• Needs to recognise the hard work of the workforce (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfactory pay, easy job but poor professional development!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in London, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working environment!!! Pay structure is good, always bustling with people. For students they have very nice shift timings and they always acknowledge the hard work. Having worked in 2 different stores and under more than 5 different managers I can honestly say that the management depends on the store management. They always have nice number of holidays and mostly consider give the desired holidays to employees. Perks are good as they give 10% off to employees and mostly you can get items on cheaper price when they are discontinued. Always up to date with high- end technology!!! Enjoyed most of the time working there!!!!!!!!!!! Great experience as it was my first job in London after a long wait!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Huge challenge is sales targets. Managers keep on pushing...If you achieve your targets they push you to over- achieve it and if you don't then you will have one to one with them. Mostly managers are helpful but I have had issues related to my payment and the manager was not very helpful. Their organisational structure is designed in such a way that the lowermost employee is not able to reach the topmost boss or general manager. I had a store manager who always used to taunt me for not achieving my targets or pick up things on me- but I had no one to complain to. Moreover, they don't have proper employee development strategy. For instance, I saw some employees who were achieving their targets, were talented and had everything but were not promoted for 6 years.

Upper management can improve a lot if they want tom improve their organisational structure and strengthen their employee power. Because, employees are assets and losing assets is losing value over time. They can build up systems to recognize the talented employees in each and every store, better their pay structure and improve the interaction or communication between the lower most employees (sales person) and the top most employees (general managers) so that they can feel their importance in the organisation.

Good people and management

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

Commission was good on some products

Cons

Hours associated with airport work
    Team leaders were a bit power drunk

Retail/Business Advisor

Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Advisor in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company,You get a lot of grooming plus offers from other industry.

Cons

You need to work in shifts

Cool attitude of management and i am recommending it

Tech Support Nottingham

Former Employee - Tech Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Tech Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big company, wages are generally poor so job is pretty secure

Cons

Managers are either really good and soon move on or hopelessly useless and ever present.

Value your employees; you are running a company not a detention centre

Decent opportunities to learn. Working culture ok but not overly friendly.

Former Employee - Head Office in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head Office in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

Opportunities to learn. Fast changing business.

Cons

Work culture not overly friendly and politics can get in way of getting stuff done.

Improve working culture.

sales consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Athens (Greece)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Athens (Greece)

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (less than an year)

Pros

helpful colleagues, training on the job an through online courses,

Cons

wage was quite low, retail strore i was working needed to be renovated

An experience!

Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with some great people and have enjoyable days at work.

Cons

Every good day has a bad day, some stores have prehistoric managers with similar management styles.

Treat staff better and they will respect you and in turn sell the things you push them to.

Decent colleague and team leaders...... contract hours, bonus, targets all terrible

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not really to do with the company but I got on really well with all my colleagues.... Sometimes managers can be decent....
    To be honest, the training isn't too bad... the course you are sent away on is quite helpful

Cons

Quite a few cons with it....

- The contract situation is a bit of a joke - I applied for what was stated as a full time job - then was told I would have to start on 20 hour contract (despite doing 40 years every week) and then it would go up to 28 hours at the end of probation, this never happened. It wasn't too much of a problem, until after the peak period was over and it became quiet, and the management started cutting everyones hours...

- It gets pretty tedious, you get the same boring talks every day about selling "Knowhow Care plan" and other attachments, the managers always say the same painfully simple things about it, and seem to have no grasp on what its actually like to sell it.... Having to sell it was bad enough anyway considering no employees agree with it.

- The targets are quite pressured, and quite unrealistic - they expect you to hit 40 per cent on your knowhow care plan sales, and if you don't then, well you don't get hours .... however people that mis sell it and hit targets get REWARDED with hours.... hmmm

- The bonus system is absolutely terrible. First bonus I got less than I was told I would get, I didn't get anything id earned in the first 2 weeks because "you apparently have to be there for the whole period to get it" (i'd never been told that at all). The bonus team also tried to tell me I was a peak temp colleague so I wouldn't get any of it, despite my contract clearly stating I was a full time permanent. They seem to do anything to get out of giving you your bonus, which is the one thing that stops it being an awfully paid job (it still is). Now, I've left and i'm due bonus for my last 6 weeks... shock I didn't receive it, currently trying to chase it up but they haven't replied to me.

- Not Dixons fault but the hours are awful, working 11 - 8 shifts in the week, and working every weekend, means you don't really have a life outside of work if youre full time.

- They try to get away with anything, For example my contract clearly stated that if I worked over 40 hours a week, id get time and a half pay. I was asked to cover an extra shift, so I asked if i'd get time and a half seeing as it would take me up to 47, they just said "no" ALWAYS REFER TO YOUR CONTRACT!

- Also, do not agree at all with their rule of having to approach every customer countless times, it annoys them and drives them away, yet you are MADE to approach EVERYONE. Of course, it was us that got the flack off the customer for bothering them, despite us not wanting to!

Sorry for the long rant

- Get rid of the stupid targets

- Stop being absolute arseholes over the bonus

- Stop trying to mug off customers with the knowhow care plan and hdmi cables just to hit targets

- Don't mug off your staff when they clearly have stuff written down on their contract

- Get rid of the ridiculous "conversion" targets, meaning staff have to continuously approach and bother customers even when they don't want it

Never Again, Poor working conditions and pay

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you like working for pennies you will love it....

Cons

Very Poor managers, waddle about all day, barking out demands and there next set off targets or quoting company policy. You are basically required to sell a targeted pile off products and inflated prices for minimum wage and there BIG thing useless warrenties/insurance policys, you get a nice big talk EVERY HOUR about how that is going.
    Horrible atmosphere to work in there is always some-sort off crisis every day you just cannot go in and have a normal day. I was looking for a new job in 3 months, just like everyone else, there was so many people who just left one guy at lunchtime he just did not come back. I lasted a year, my previous job I had been at for 5 years.
    , bonus scheme is misleading...and they will think off any excuse not to pay out. I think most people just shop online these days and there maybe living in the past a bit.

it is 2014 by the way

Anybody offering a new job?

Current Employee - Sales Colleague
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

If you have next to no bills to pay then the wage is ok

Cons

Where do I start:

For most people who actually do pay for things on a daily basis the wage is terrible for the amount of work put into every sale unless you're management so can get a nice bonus from it all which staff rarely see.

Training can be good if and when you might be lucky enough to do it once given 5 mins away from the shop floor to do it yet even then get asked to serve straight after.

The amazing bonus that's talked about during interviews the somehow the company seem to get out of paying.

Busiest time of the year Christmas where you work all day everyday with no breaks apart from to quickly grab a snack between customers bringing in massive amount of money to the company but seeing nothing for your hard work.

Getting expected to sell everything to every customer and even if the customer says no a million times there is obviously a way they will take it.

If you're not selling everything to every customer then apparently you're not doing your job... last I checked I could get paid more flipping burgers in McDonalds an don't see them forcing stuff at you.

The whole company I see these days as greedy money grabbing fat cats who need to learn how to treat customers and staff.

From what I've seen most new starters last about 4 maybe 5 months before seeing sense and leaving for good.

Poor management skills by all managers and like to pass the buck with any complaints.

I could go on but I don't think there would be enough space to type it all

Sort it out now before you don't have a company to manage!