Dillard's Reviews

2.3
1,028 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals (in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  South Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Big name to work for.

Cons

Big challenge to make the numbers.

Where is TLC.

No appreciation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the job that I did; they gave me the tools to excel at selling top end brands and newest/trendiest footwear. The pay was decent and I was able to work full time, even with a school schedule. My boss was very accommodating. I was allowed to use my special skills in customer service to keep customers happy and keep them coming back to me.I was able to work alone and had the ability to move things around and be creative if I wanted.

Cons

Whenever I moved things around, my boss never told me that I had done a good job. Sometimes, she moved them back to the way they were. There is no solid appreciation to those that do grunt work and display new stock. There are too many lazy people that work there that don't have the proper training to do a good job, but are just there to sell and make money for themselves and the company. The top sales people didn't have to do much and there was no discipline. Other employees were rude and pushy, but nothing was done when complaints were made.

Show some appreciation to full-time employees, enforce equal rules. My boss was very good at her job, but very lenient and I suspect that's because she didn't have back up from upper management. Our store is very corrupt and caters to the employees that bring them money, not keep their customers coming back. If small things were changed, like discipline, they would have more business and their employees would stay longer. When Bill Dillard, Sr., was in charge, there was no SPH and Dillard's was a lot more lucrative and friendly.

This is a decent job for the pay.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work with avgerage pay, pay increases based on sales performance, flexible schedule.

Cons

Standing for long periods of time, rediculous sales goals, having to work weekends and holidays.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good temporary job, not career fulfilling.

Current Employee - Selling Specialist  in  Auburn, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Auburn, AL (US)

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great job for someone who is looking for part time work while they are in school or in between jobs.

Cons

You will eventually be fired from this job, or you will be stuck at the same base pay forever.

take advantage of the hard working full time employees that you have instead of over loading them with all the hard work and giving all the selling times to the part time employees.

Current employee and loving it

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Fairview Heights, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Fairview Heights, IL (US)

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Dillard's is a classy company that pays well without reliance on commission

Cons

Sales goals cause conflict within the various departments and can this cause employees to become negative

Eliminate the bonus system in place for business managers and eliminate the expectation of "5star service" from the quotas- ringing in someone else's department is like WWIII and our sph goals relying on that is very counterproductive.

Independent and strong customer service experience.

Current Employee - Clinique Sales Consultant  in  Las Cruces, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Clinique Sales Consultant in Las Cruces, NM (US)

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can work in a good or bad environment depending on your co-workers/management. As a Beauty Advisor I get to do lots of events that keep us busy!

Cons

Management can sometimes be negative. Negativity never ends in a positive work environment. Again depending on your staff.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Port Richey, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Port Richey, FL (US)

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours. Store isn't open late.

Cons

Hard to make your daily sales quota

I was promoted before my training period ended to selling specialist.

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay was great for the job. I started at $11 an hour, promoted to $12.95, then earned a raise for my SPH to $14.95. Handbags was the best department to be in.
    If you like to work on your own, you will enjoy the job. You are given a lot of responsibilities including stocking, merchandising, and building clientele.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

The culture is very catty. There is jealousy within the departments because everyone knows what everyone makes. Very competitive if you are commission based, such as cosmetics, and shoes.
    Upper management does not utilize employee feedback in regards to what brands are selling and what brands are not selling. Another job where you don't feel appreciated.
    Most archaic computers and software I have ever had the displeasure of working with.

Upgrade your computer systems. Have full time security. Listen to your employees and do things for them to make them feel appreciated. Christmas bonuses,etc.

George's rating on this company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly people employed with company.

Cons

Pay structure and opportunities should be different.

Need a different pay structure to avoid high turnover.

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working there provided me the opportunity to grow and become more creative and gain skills leading other individuals. The company discount was good as well -- but you need to work 20 hours/week.

Cons

I found that there was excessive pressure to get people to open credit cards who do not want to do so and to contact people at their homes to try to entice them to purchase products. It was also nearly impossible to get regular time off for any other obligations, or to get two days in a row as a full time employee.

There appears to be a disconnect between upper management and departmental managers. There are often unrealistic departmental goals and disregard for employees and management.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!