Dillard's

2.4
1,182 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the pay is good the holiday hours or regular not crazy (in 63 reviews)

• the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't meet sales goals you can be terminated regardless of slow business (in 157 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Specialist - Work-life balance could be difficult, but then again, this is retail. Store Manager Excellent

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay for retail position, also good discounts. Good training.

Cons

Asst. Manager terrible, forcing credit cards on customers is also terrible.

The financial gain to the corporation by forcing credit cards to customers is obvious but there is no incentive back to sales staff for going through such an embarrassment. Even the incentive to the customer is scarce at best.

Decent pay/benefits, but aggravating challenges

Former Employee - Dock Associate in Beachwood, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Dock Associate in Beachwood, OH (US)

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Decent pay/benefits
    fairly generous holiday pay, extra days off rewarded for perfect attendance each quarter...

physical job - healthy workout

If you're in the Dock or in Customer Service there is a good amount of long-term stability but if you are in Sales you may just want to consider this a 9-month temporary job. Although there are some 20-year veterans, not sure how they meet the supposedly impossible sales goals.

Cons

Understaffed for a store this size. They have one person doing ten different things, constantly being paged to switch jobs.

Most of the people were nice and friendly, except for my supervisor, naturally the only person who is grumpy and bad-tempered has to be my boss, what are the odds.

The store gets too many spills and clean-ups for a place that doesn't even serve food, but I suppose that's partly because we are attached to a mall. People urinate in the fitting rooms - and not just the kids section. You would think most of this piggishness would come from the customers but why do we get so many spills in the employee break-room? honestly, this wasn't the best display of human cleanliness.

Hire more people to work the closing shift in the dock department. this huge multi-million dollar store can afford a few more people. every night hangers pile up and don't get sorted; if you just hired one person to do that one job, and nothing else, they would get sorted every night. but instead it's this multi-tasking business.

I enjoy working at Dillard's, okay is good.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID (US)

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Pay is good, the discount is good.

Cons

Sph is too high, there aren't very many customers because Dillard's didn't advertise.

Advertise

Good working conditions

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere. Better starting pay than average in the industry. Caring management and good discount opportunities. Dillards strives to anchor themselves with quality, upper scale malls with equally or better boutique type stores. If you meet your quotas, good opportunity for regular raises.

Cons

Getting time off can be a challenging process, especially if your manager is difficult. As a new employee, integrating in with "veteran" employees can be difficult. High expectations of retail knowledge. Meeting quotas can be stressful.

Advise veteran employees to be kinder and more understanding to newer, less experienced employees.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Maintain a sales per hour goal.

Working for Dillard's is very competitive in for a retail setting.

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

For a retail job the pay is decent, overall most of the people you work with are tolerable and the discount is pretty awesome when Dillard's runs sales! They make the schedule 1 month out which is helpful if you have another job that updates there schedule on a weekly basis.

Cons

Super competitive, you have to meet quotas and thats where the issues begin. As a part time associate you are limited to hours most of them go to full time associates. Not everyone does what they are asked so if you are one of the better associates your asked to handle a lot more tasks than other in turn messing with your sales per hour (SPH). Also the schedule is made 1 month in advance during the holidays thats tough if your trying to travel for the holidays. The 1st of the year is a black out date EVERYONE works!

I would suggest that ASM's learn what their associates are good at, for example in accessories if someone is knowledgable with watches put them there if you have someone who doesn't know the mechanics, who makes them, how to display them or how to size them they shouldn't be put in watches. Put people in areas that they will excel.

Very stressing job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in El Paso, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in El Paso, TX (US)

I worked at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really good pay start, great hours, good employe discount

Cons

Not all but very fake and rude coworkers and ridiculously high standers for sales

Don't neglect your employees and do better training for new hires including customer service

Good experience overall

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oviedo, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oviedo, FL (US)

I worked at Dillard's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay above average for retail. Friendly co-workers. I had a great department manager.

Cons

Sales quotas can be stressful. Hours are ridiculous, I was supposed to be part time (I was a full time college student at the time) and by the end of my time there I was working 32-40 hours per week.

Consider relaxing strict stance on sales quotas.

Good as a stepping stone

Former Employee - Handbags Business Manager
    Former Employee - Handbags Business Manager

I worked at Dillard's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay. My position had uncapped bonuses. People, I made lifelong friends

Cons

Environment is stressful. Goals cause cutthroat mentality in some

Hire people specifically for markdowns and stock

Management is horrible.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers and customers being like family and having fun.

Cons

Ive been top seller over my dept average all year and have yet to be promoted to full-time.

Focus on what and who can make you more money.