DigitalGlobe

Be The First To
Add Photos

DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Pros:
  • "I like the people I actually work with, they are nice, courteous and overall good people"
    in 5 reviews
  • "I learned a lot from working at DG - lots of great people doing very cool things"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Values driven company with a strong sense of purpose

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe Company has a strong set of Purpose, Vision, and Values and makes sure that Employees are aware of the positive impact the imagery and services we provide help people to save lives and make the world a better place.

ConsVery fast pace. The Company has gone through a lot of change in the last year, but is making an effort to address cultural issues that impact employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investments in developing employees and in providing career opportunities and stretch assignments for high performers. Keep focused on the top priorities and getting flawless on execution of those strategies. React quickly to changing market conditions.

Challenging and dynamic work environment

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time

ProsInteresting, smart, hardworking people; good pay/benefits; challenging and dynamic work

ConsManagement sometimes sends mixed messages; lots of longtime employees, so you have to work hard to move up

Lots of change so make sure you are okay with that!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowth, new products and services, benefits, smart people, CEO lives the purpose vision and values.

ConsCan get tiring at times, too much to do at times as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild something well or fix it once with an eye to the future. Build consistent, repeatable systems.

Interesting work

I worked at DigitalGlobe

ProsSome very intelligent people that were committed to doing quality work. I learned a lot from working at DG - lots of great people doing very cool things.

ConsThe culture was very uncertain. People always seem worried as to how long they will have their job. I know many people that are still there that are looking for other jobs.

Software Engineering review

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time

ProsDecent pay, good work life balance, good control with agile over what deliverables you are committed to delivering

ConsIf you are outside the headquarters, it is difficult to get interesting work. Too much production support is also expected of its developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your developers aren't content to do support and deployment work with little interesting development.

Confusing

Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people to work with. Diverse workgroup. Nice benefit package.

ConsManagement, dis-jointed and not always helpful. More concerned with how they will look vice giving employees all tools and especially information to perform their tasks in an efficient manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Have a better grasp of employee attributes. There is not always perfect template for positional requirements.

Dynamic growth while the company moved from private venture, through IPO, and into major merger.

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGlobal enterprise that touches a variety of markets and sectors. Opportunities to partner with market leaders. Significant contributor to growing repository of commercial remote sensing data.

ConsInsular at times. Engineering-centric culture with little tolerance for risk and stumbling to execute on innovation goals beyond the space segment. A company with an aerospace mindset grappling to transition into a scalable and sustainable analytics firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo grow the insight business...think like a business analytics company and execute like a start-up.

There's only one way for DG to move forward either sink like the Titanic or soar to the skies like a phoenix.

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

ProsThe company (as GeoEye) pride itself for being business process oriented as well as technological advanced. The one thing that management did well was identifying skills in employees that could be utilised in other areas and challenging them. Opportunities for projects and interactions with different parts of the organization was abundant. Work/life balance was highly promoted by all levels of management. After hours interaction between employees was constant. Benefits were great and bonuses were the best I have encountered in a private company. DG benefits were as equally great. The combination news although scary seemed to come with great promise and the opportunity for GEOY transition employees to work in various projects was there but did not happened.

ConsThe lay-off of employees from the GEOY side was astounding to the brink of removing any trace of its existence. The employees that have all the knowledge were let go during the first round and second round of lay-off's, absolutely mind-boggling. The lack of utilization of the remainder talent identified as important to the merger was non-existent. I truly believe that DG has never dealt with a merger of this scale and the consulting company that is currently being used to manage the combination has ill-advise C Level Management and Senior Management. I also noticed a lot of stress, anger and anxiety from employees at HQ. It was a huge disappointment to see that the hard work of employees from DG and GEOY has gone and could continuously go down the toilet because of bad management decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMergers are an opportunity to truly identify talent within companies as well as capabilities, technology and processes. The potential of being a leader in spatial imagery is only great if the company can potentiate the technology and employees knowledge properly no matter if there's no current competition in the US market. Ask the employees what improvements need to be made, trust their knowledge, take care of them morally and truly treat them with the respect as the company professes in its core values.

Good people get fed up and leave

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCool company, high tech, smart people, good benefits.

ConsPeople are a number. They talk about doing the "best work of your career" but limit opportunities to friends of management. Takes sr. management long time to make decisions. No accountability. They'll work you to the bone if you let them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on your own advancement and take an interests in supporting and developing your people

Mostly Senior Management, or Cult of Customer

Image Tech (Current Employee)
Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than a year

ProsSteady work, can be fast paced.

ConsSenior Management does not rely on employee experience to accomplish tasks. Instead benchmarks and deadlines are set with the aim of maximizing quarterly revenue.
Employee ideas are often ignored in favor of ideas from management or other departments without operational experience.
A company value reads "Putting mission and team before self"; often results in denied vacation or short notice weekend responsibilities.
Performance reviews effectively marginalize good performance, they also take 5 months complete.
Re-titling during the merger was hurried, many people have been summarily demoted by threat of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove half of the Senior Management team, Stop worrying about investor dividends, invest and listen to your highly trained and experienced workforce. At the very least, communicate with employees, instead of promoting the Cult Of Customer.

Worked for DigitalGlobe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DigitalGlobe reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DigitalGlobe CEO Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr. All 51 reviews are posted anonymously by DigitalGlobe employees.