Dice

Add Photos

Dice President, CEO, and Director Scot W. Melland

Scot W. Melland

SE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed my journey with Dice. I have seen so many changes in less time than any other places in career. As per my thinking company had steep growth. Lot of new and recent technologies introduced. And if you want to learn new stuff, this would be one of the place to expand your ideas. Ideas and putting that in motion that's called Dice.

ConsPeople in different teams need to understand one thing you, can't be along with your friends and colleagues lifetime at any place. Change always comes with change of people too. When company is expanding need to help them instead sit and whine about new management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to advice new people to continue and maintain future outlook talks like you did after new management took place. I am pretty happy with that way.

Great People; Awful Culture

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers
    Flexible hours
    Casual environment

This is neither the best company I've worked for; neither is it the worst. I chose the title for this review very deliberately. Almost to a person, the folks who work here are kind, considerate, thoughtful people. They are fun to work with. They were good people with a sense of mission, to help tech job seekers advance in their careers. They all seemed to genuinely agree with this mission, rather than simply being in it for a paycheck.

ConsExtremely hierarchical
    No sense of strategic direction

Despite the good people, the culture as a whole is not one that will lead to success, and despite being a tech-oriented company, is not very tuned in to the ethos of Silicon Valley. It's hierarchical to the point that I was not permitted to consult with the person immediately over my boss. My co-worker was chided for making a business suggestion to the president of the company. Similarly, the company, despite being relatively small, moved glacially. The result of this is that workers can complete plans in isolation, only to have them scrapped completely when the upper levels of management see them. Workers were not empowered to execute the strategies they laid out. In addition, the company seems to jerk back and forth with various strategies/tactics, rather than having an overall strategy, and taking steps to implement it. It was like a pendulum that was constantly swinging back and forth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to create a mission and subgoals, rather than trying various tactics to see what would stick. I would also suggest a more hierarchical organization with openness to new ideas.

Dice is really great

ProsGreat people and lots of interesting work.

ConsNo room for personal growth

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good energy, collaborative, relaxed environment.

Shared Services Contractor (Current Employee) Urbandale, IA (US)

ProsI am enjoying my time at Dice. Functioning like a true tech company the atmosphere is relaxed and casual. If you prefer to wear jeans and a sweatshirt on Tuesday you can, if you like to wear dress pants you can do that too. A fun environment that seems like it encourages a happy, relaxed but productive work place.

ConsAll parts of the business (customer service, sales, marketing, tech service/repair etc) are laid out in chunks, sometimes it can be difficult for the individual units to work together or communicate.

A good company, but struggling to find its place in a changing environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat brands, smart people to work with

ConsSlow to make changes, particularly in Prodcut

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to move faster

My review

Sales (Current Employee) Urbandale, IA (US)

ProsGreat benefits
    New Leadership
    Flexibility
    Good work environment

ConsLack of communication
    Lack of career training and advancement
    Leadership tends to play favorites
    No raises

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more of what is going on. Provide sales training opportunities

Time will tell

ProsWork life balance
    New leadership
    Great people
    Competitive pay
    The future looks better, new leadership brings new ideas and innovation. Hopefully the years ahead will be even brighter.

ConsBack end driven
    Lack of strategy
    Poor planning causes too many unnecessary issues
    Poor communication between departments
    Too much power to the financial side of the business

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so back end focused. Make sure you have the best people in each position. The future looks bright..... LEAD and INNOVATE

Absolutely horrible work experience

(Current Employee) Urbandale, IA (US)

Pros- Pay is OK
    - There are some people there, primarily those that have been there 5 years or less, who are good at what they do and current in their knowledge.

Cons- Absolutely no strategic direction whatsoever
    - Make people directors and managers just because they've been there a while
    - No communication within or between departments
    - Lots of dead weight staff that has been there a long time and brings no value
    - Stuck in the 90s for processes (when they exist) and technology
    - HR department is a laughingstock
    - Spends a ridiculous amount of money on fluff

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of 90 percent of the directors and above in the organization. Certain areas are extremely over staffed, while others are greatly understaffed.

Sales

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGood people - everyone works hard. Product is solid but not spectacular.

ConsTechnology at times seem a little dated. Company does not move as fast as competition is moving in product development. Product team needs to think outside the box.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and end users. Use the customer input that the sales team bring in to move the product forward.

excellent company, helping people find jobs

Prosgood culture, great people, dynamic

Consa bit slow to change things

Advice to Senior Managementspeed up

Worked for Dice? Contribute to the Community!