Deutsche Bank

3.4 1,034 reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

1,034 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Challenging tasks, excellent work-life balance, extremely smart people around you"
    in 87 reviews
  • "Wide network, really intelligent people, human working environment"
    in 57 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance is crap and if you want to transfer between teams forget it"
    in 38 reviews
  • "It's very much a grind and long hours and can get quite confrontational"
    in 53 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

DB is a grind

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time

ProsGreat colleagues. Work with some very smart people. Decent Benefits. Easy to commute to NY Office.

ConsToo many layers of management. Too many managers not producing yet getting paid exorbitant amounts. Antiquated technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove some layers of management that cost too much and produce little - would boost morale and help the bank cut costs.

The Good , The Bad and The Ugly

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWhen I first joined Deutsche Bank I enjoyed working for a firm that valued its people and the value that they added. Had some great colleagues while I was there. I was able to move to a new position in just over 14 months and excelled in my new role.

ConsWas approached by a different department to take on a global role and after many discussions my manager and I agreed this would be a good opportunity, so I took the new position. I was in my new role about 1 month and I was immediately informed that they didn't want me to do the governance role that they approached me for. They wanted me to do things their way and disregard policy. Of course I didn't follow their request. Then when the annual reviews were given I was given a poor review. I approached HR and asked why my former managers review wasn't take into account especially since I was still in my former role for the first half of the year. I was told that only the new mgr review counts. So I then asked doesn't HR wonder how someone who has always been a top performer drop in 6 months to a poor performer. They said they don't. The writing was on the wall. In Sept 2012 I was informed that my role was being eliminated.

It was a good company to work for. . .

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou can learn to navigate a snake pit. Also, could potentially learn to avoid being eaten by piranhas.

ConsWell, the only time that you will get a raise is if you are promoted. The problem is that promotions are incredibly difficult to secure. The easier way to get promoted at DB is to get a job at another company, then come back a year later at a higher corporate rank. There is no governance process for the hiring at a given corporate rank, but if you seek a promotion within the organization, tons and tons of hurdles to overcome. Good luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementC'mon guys, 52% increment for yourselves, but leave the staff year after year after year with no increments? That is leadership.

Developer

C++ Developer (Former Employee)
Moscow (Russia)

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's possible to slack off on a planetary scale.
If you want challenge, there are 1-2 cutting edge projects.
Good coffee and a decent office space

ConsManagement here needs replaceable cogs. If you are highly motivated, want growth and don't want to play politics, then go work somewhere else.
The performance review system in DB only looks good on paper.
Salary adjustments are very unfair. No calibration whatsoever.
Employee feedback gets thoroughly recorded, and then thrown into a trash can.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better middle management. Act upon employee feedback.

Senior Developer

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsGood business learning opportunities staying in NY, good people and peers, good technology

ConsManagement changes all the time

Do more with less....

Finance Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConfidence in keeping your job and possibly your benefits (if you're a german of course, as all other nationals are expendable)....

ConsProvided you don't complain about doing more, working longer hours, being ignored by management and all this with less resource, and less pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. Don't just talk the talk about culture and diversity, actually act on it.

Sinking Ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Global Bank with strong brand name

ConsManagement continues to retain & pay under-performing staff, and in doing so has not left enough money to pay and incentivize star performers.

Bonus caps, underpayment relative to other banks, and outrageous deferral structures means that DB will not be able to compete for talent.

DB is the only bank which has failed to make any effort to improve lifestyle for employees or even acknowledge the issue.

Summary: You will get paid more at all levels at any other major bank. Business is declining precipitously and morale is extremely low.

Advice to Senior Management--Remove under-performers and expensive MDs who do not produce
--Improve lifestyle & culture given that you have decided to underpay versus all other banks
--Have more awareness of how unhappy the majority of the bank is

Good people to work with

I have been working at Deutsche Bank

ProsWork Life is a strong benefit.

ConsCorporate politics get in the way. The bank does not understand technology and how to implement it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed less business people running technical areas.

A great place to start your career

Assistant Vice President - Technology (Current Employee)
Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay
Excellent benefits
Opportunities to learn about the business of investment banking
They hire really smart, talented people
People for the most part are very nice and fun to work with
There are a variety of interesting products you might work with

ConsIt is extraordinarily political and almost impossible to get ahead by just quietly doing your job. You have to promote yourself constantly which can be uncomfortable for introverts.
There are some huge egos to contend with in management. If you make one of them mad, it will not go well for you.
There are constant re-orgs and so management and management initiatives change frequently
Lack of consistancy in process
Lack of process
No real knowledge management to speak of. You are told to look at the code and figure out what you need to know.
Heavy bureaucracy means it takes a long time to do anything. The hiring process takes months.
There is a stated initiative aimed at getting rid of the more experienced employees and hiring new graduates and people early in their careers.

Team environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood People, very team oriented

Consglass ceiling, it is difficult to move up

Worked for Deutsche Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deutsche Bank reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Deutsche Bank CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain. All 1,034 reviews are posted anonymously by Deutsche Bank employees.