Deutsche Bank

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.4 1,124 reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and a global footprint help one explore the corners of the world(in 102 reviews)

• Change is the only constant - a highly dynamic work environment(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is crap and if you want to transfer between teams forget it(in 40 reviews)

• It's very much a grind and long hours and can get quite confrontational(in 45 reviews)

1,124 Employee Reviews

Typical European bank - lots of bureaucracy, can be painful to get things done

Senior Front Office Developer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome reasonably strong senior developers, the banks's size means it can invest in infrastructure and areas that smaller shops can't

ConsPlenty of mediocre people around across all levels. Lots of red tape and processes to get anything done, within Technology, the focus was on pleasing tech management rather than delivering projects for the desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's understandable that technology goals might not align with short term business goals from the desk, but when this is completely skewed one way, the business relationship suffers and puts desk facing front office teams often in difficult situations.

Interesting

Director, Risk Officer and Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt all depends on the boss. With the right boss this shop offers a lot.
    I guess my cons are more or less similar to competitors.
    If you swim down the river it is great. If you question the management you are history.
    I was satisfied until I decided to leave as I made enough money to have a happy life.
    I witnessed other who got the boot and where of course unhappy.

ConsCulture has changed significantly and is the worst I have ever seen.
    Management by fear. Most decisions are not made in the interest of the shareholder.
    I witnessed many illegal transactions and cannot believe that regulators keep their eyes closed although they sit day and night next door in the Wall St office.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the management would be my advice as it is ridiculous to have somebody in charge of changing a culture which they had implemented in the past. That simply does not work.

General advice to young folks:
    If you do not like your boss, you better move on as you will never change him/her.
    Opportunities for young people are manyfold. ;)

former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe pay was on par with the street then

Consmorale was awful but likely better than other shops.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a cog for the corporate money making machine.

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL (US)

ProsLooks great on a resume.

ConsYou are basically a slave.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun for the hills.

Not the worst place to work

Assistant Vice President - Technology (Current Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsMobility opportunities
    Good social package
    Competitive salary for newcomers

ConsA lot of politics - to be recognized you should rather have good relations with local management than to do good job
    Performance review and promotion isn't transparent

A company with lots of opportunities, yet a hot mess to work at

Vice President - Technology (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsA world-class brand. Some great people. Truly a global bank offering lots of opportunity to work in various continents. Deutsche has beautiful buildings and good looking staff. Everyone is well dressed and professional. It offers world-class finance and banking operations. Opportunity to have exposure to people from all over the world.

Deutsche bank has a great social responsibility initiatives and is a leader in green energy buildings.

ConsTechnology is a hot mess, having grown through numerous acquisitions. Systems are outdated and dysfunctional. As a user, basic day to day tasks such as email, calendar, expenses and time off are a hassle to complete. As someone with administrative responsibilities, it is an extremely difficult environment to get anything done.

The management structure is a mess, with dotted lines all over the place. All decisions have to be approved by numerous people. It's clear that senior management distrusts lower level management to make appropriate decisions. The issue is made worse by the frequency with which new management is hired from the outside, who lack the necessary background / knowledge to make the appropriate decisions. The result is a complete inability to get anything done.

The place is a revolving door, at least in the regions.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more structural stability for employees. Limit outside hiring. Develop your existing staff; equip them with skills that will increase their marketability, as opposed to trying to trap them at DB with internal trainings and development programs that are overly limited. The staff will appreciate it and this will likely increase your retention ratio. In addition, it may help you trust them more, a trait which is necessary for proper delegation.

You need a flatter organizational structure, so that senior management can be appraised of what is going on without generating a need for bureaucratic paperwork in the form of excessive report writing, presentations and calls.

Take a close look at your back-office, specifically HR and Technology, and ensure that the right responsibilities are assigned in the right places, and (very important) that said responsibilities are aligned with the right incentives.

AVP in Global Technology

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsRelatively stable company to work for (last major round of redundancies had happened a few years before I had joined). Good benefits (good health and pension cover). Decent bonus packages, especially if you happened to be a good performer. Good respected name to have on your CV.

ConsHighly political. Less than ideal place to work for if one wants to learn any new skills (especially in technology, where posturing and BS in industrial scale appeared to dominate the scene). It's possible to make a long-term career out of simply existing and doing very little, losing skills over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the BS, cut middle management, reward whoever actually does some sort of work and not the corporate actor types.

Typical bank with serious issues with management.

Assistant Vice President - Technology (Current Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsVery good medical insurance, good work/life balance. It's easy to get day-off or work from home when needed. Some employee even manage to negotiate constant remote working contract.

ConsIt relates to Moscow office only, not sure if it's the same in other offices. Many managers use very "soviet" style of people management. Couching doesn't exist at all. Even though there are a lot of practices and ideas that are promoted by HR from London/NY offices, local management mostly ignores it.

Not the worst place for a 21 year old wanting to build his/her resume

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL (US)

ProsGood health insurance, located in a good area of JAX

ConsBoring routine work, managers are only concerned about their careers, promos are hard to get, temp employees make significantly more than permanent ones for easy reporting functions. Promotions are not always based on knowledge or skills but on politics. Not a fun work environment. Everybody looks like a zombie.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on the advancement of your employees.

Challenging

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsYou can learn many job functions. Promotes inter mobility

ConsCost Cutting. No increment past few years

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your resources. Learn to appreciate them

Worked for Deutsche Bank? Contribute to the Community!