Demand Media Reviews

Updated 21 April, 2015
138 reviews filtered by

No respect for writers and inconsistent copy editors

Current Contractor - Freelance Writer
    Current Contractor - Freelance Writer

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work whenever and wherever you want -- if there's work

Cons

Writers are expected to be experts but then have to do hours of research for a 400 word article in order to provide sources for every detail. Copy editors are notoriously inconsistent and some are just plain obnoxious. The editing process is punitive towards writers, with little or no give and take. Hostile senior editors on power trips can make the whole thing a nightmare. Beware. Things can go along nicely and then suddenly you'll encounter unreasonable and arbitrary demands from editors. I don't know how this company is still in business. I wouldn't buy its stock.

Advice to Management

They don't care so I'm not going to waste my time with advice.

Demand Media Not Interested in their Writers

Former Contractor - Article Writer in Palm Coast, FL (US)
    Former Contractor - Article Writer in Palm Coast, FL (US)

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home.

Cons

Demand Media pays nothing. They expect writers to research, write and if not initially accepted, rewrite. All for the top dollar of $25 per article. Then, if not accepted, the writer gets nothing. Writers can expect to earn much lower than minimum wage for their talent.

Advice to Management

Pay for decent talent and decent articles. You are no better than big business paying nothing for their workers.

DM is struggling

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleagues and Good Perks. Work hours vary a lot, some weeks it can be 50 hours some weeks it can be 35 hours.

Cons

No clear company goal. They are trying to be everywhere in the content business. The senior management is disconnected from the employees. The office managers are only focussed on saving their jobs. Resulting in frequent exodus of good employees

Advice to Management

Go back to the drawing board and figure out if the Acquisitions make sense. Grow big by going small. Understand the product lines and its relevance to the company

Great experience as an intern. Did stuff that matters.

Former Intern - Infrastructure in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Infrastructure in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated as a full time / assigned great projects / well stocked kitchen .. great food / excellent culture

Cons

pay for interns not competitive / internship program is not mature yet but will be

Don't ever work for demand!

Current Contractor - Photographer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - Photographer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

the only pro is that there are a bunch of jobs...

Cons

almost all of the jobs you can't complete because it would cost more than it pays.

Advice to Management

learn how to run a company and take advice from the people that actually do the work!

7. Freelance Writer

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

Could write on whatever topic you chose. Very easy work. Perfect for someone still in school, because you can make it mold your schedule - even the weird hours. The articles were then edited by someone else, who would then approve it or send it back for modification. This was good in maintaining a more consistent quality

Cons

Inconsistent income. Some of the topics were very obscure so there were times I wouldn't be able to write any articles

8. Opportunity for personal growth

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment that presented excellent opportunity for personal growth

Cons

Undergoing changes in business mode.

Tons of politics, but non managers may have a good time.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Very lax atmosphere. Incredibly flexible hours. Free snacks and drinks. Free catered lunches on Fridays.

Cons

An inordinate amount of politics to navigate. Every department treats itself like a fiefdom that must be appeased before anything can get done.

Requests for normal information or equipment can take months (or longer) to be responded to, even if it is mission critical.

Many departments and staff have a "lob it over the wall " mentality where their goal is just to pass off a problem so they don't have to deal with it with little care about whether it is resolved or not.

A huge amount of turnover in some departments (over 50%) in a short period of time.

Advice to Management

Remove the roadblocks that prevent people from doing their jobs. Listen to the examples given of red tape and do something about it instead of just telling people to "find a way" as lately that "way" is to move on to another company.

10. Company that respect people and their values

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked as a consultant to the Finance team. I would rate it as one of the best company that i have worked for being an consultant...Manager and coworker respect each other a lot...There is a lot of work that is being done without any kind of micro management...If someone is a sincere and honest person and looking for working on a employer friendly environment, then this is one of the best place to work for in LA.

Cons

Rumors are always created that the org is going on a different way with respect to the way it is making business.

Pretty Average

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch Fridays, 401K matching, Tons of company learning sessions to see what is happening in other departments, Fully stocked kitchens, Ability to work-from-home

Cons

Like any big company it's all about who your boss is. I interviewed thinking one person would be the boss and this changed two more times before my first day. The person who ended up being my boss was someone who, had I known would be the manager, would have given me serious reservations about taking the job in the first place. Obviously this is an individual problem, not something that will happen to everyone.

Advice to Management

Take employee concerns more seriously if you want to keep them happier