Deloitte Reviews

553 reviews filtered by
  • Washington, DC Area
3.6
Cathy Engelbert

The toughest job you'll ever love.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

--The people I work with are amazing. Smart, motivated, and willing to work together.
    --Opportunities grow on trees. Want training? Here you go! Want to lead an effort? Have at it!
    --Senior leadership is generally pretty approachable.

Cons

--If you're on the "PPD Track," you are required to put in hours outside your project work on "firm activities." It can feel like a lot, and it can feel like a distraction from client work at times.
    --Bait and switch--they give you tons of vacation time, but you can't use it without hurting your utilization. Utilization is high. It works out to about two weeks vacation, plus holidays, if you're capped at 40 hours per week (most Federal projects are)

Advice to Management

Let's get real about how much you can expect of people before they decide their lives are worth more. There's a lot of turnover because people get burnt out. Instead of cycling people through, why not pull back a smidge and see if you can get some of those folks to stick around? Most people treat this as a training ground for something else they want to do--suck out all the marrow and then walk away. Wouldn't it be better to realize the investments you put into people. All that training, walking right out your doors--it's a shame.

2. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Entrepreneurship culture gives self-starters an ability to make a lot out of your career if you're willing to put in the time
    -Great training opportunities
    - Very accommodating leave schedules for new parents
    - Top notch technical mentors from whom to learn high-end soft consulting methodologies and skills

Cons

-Federal practice has identify issues and an inferiority complex - tries too hard to be "act like commercial" rather than embrace the nuances of the Federal industry. Affects org structure and often moral of the rank and file.
    - Firm commitments outside of client delivery can be taxing and can lack purpose
    - Merit based pay increases can be small; outside of principles, the higher paid practitioners are external hires

Advice to Management

Embrace the challenges of the Federal client delivery model and develop the business model around the needs of this customer base. If Federal leadership is expected to grow their portfolios each year and the government tends to prefer the affordable option rather than the premium one, it can often create confusion for the workforce.

3. Dream Job for a CPA

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent Brand Name to have under your belt.

Cons

not suitable for slackers

5. Nice place to start your career. Experienced hires: get your money upfront!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of smart, talented people.

You can learn a lot and get good experience if you get on a good project.

If you are a strong resource, you will get opportunities to lead and own major tasks.

Cons

Work/life balance can be an issue depending on your project, business development, and eminence activities you partake in.

Within large projects, there are often quotas on how many people of a given project team can receive the highest performance rating. For example, if you are on a team with two super stars, you may get an average performance rating so not to exceed the quota for your team. Meanwhile, the best misfits on a crappy team will get the high ratings. Salaries and bonuses are tied to ratings so not getting the rating you deserve has a high impact on your money.

Non-client related requirements such as business development, solution development, training, etc. can be a chore. If you want to simple work 40-50 hours a week, this job is not for you.

Deloitte will try to get you very cheap if they can. If they really need your skills and experience, don't be afraid to ask for a lot more than what they offer you.

Advice to Management

They need to create a career track that is friendly to strong technical resources that prefer developing their valuable talent over attending numerous happy hours and brown nosing pompous senior managers.

6. Long hours required, but ability to make your own career

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary / Pay
    People (smart and collaborative)

Cons

Constant Travel
    Requirement to sell and deliver

Advice to Management

Don't just pay lip service to work life balance

7. Huge company interesting work

Former Employee - Tax Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Tax Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, everything is POSSIBLE, very smart people with creative thinking.

Cons

So fast-paced, some managers leave their weight on top of underlings, blaming them for missteps, 360 evaluations a complete waste of time.

Advice to Management

Really look at who is doing the work and coming up with solutions to long-standing problems. Don't always look at your bottom line.

8. Great work-life fit with some competition

Current Employee - Federal Human Capital Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Federal Human Capital Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Deloitte truly cares about its employees and their lifestyles. My managers have always been supportive of my personal life and my personal goals as long as I'm able to perform well on my immediate project.

Cons

There is a bit of competition especially when you rise up in the organization. However, the competition is healthy. Firm initiative apart from client work can also add hours to the work week, but you choose how involved you want to be.

Advice to Management

n/a

No work/life balance

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Deloitte offers great salary and the benefits are decent. You have many opportunities to expand your skill set and professional network.

Cons

Absolutely no work/life balance. They essentially expect you to be 'on call' 24/7 via your company cell phone. Furthermore, though they promise 5 weeks of PTO, but you cannot take it because if you do, it is impossible to reach your utilization target and then you get penalized for not meeting this metric. Therefore, you have to make up any time you take off as PTO.

For example, I took off time because I was sick; when I got back I had to make up the time that I had been out because I was not "billable" to my client while I was sick; consequently, I got sicker because I wore myself out working overtime (and not getting paid for it). Another time, I was sick for over a month because I simply could not get time off to get better. My doctor finally told me I HAD to take off work and gave me a doctor's note. It was quite ridiculous... I would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Furthermore, what they tell candidates in the interviews and during the recruitment process is incorrect. There are catches to almost anything they say. They promised me things and then never held true to their word.

The culture is cut-throat and competitive. You cannot trust anyone because everyone is back-stabbing each other to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your utilization metrics. Most of the work/life balance is due to utilization. Furthermore, be honest and upfront with candidates as they come in the door. Give realistic job descriptions/previews, and hold true to your word. Don't make promises you cannot keep. This will stimulate an environment of trust and employee loyalty.

10. They know how to take the fun out of work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent group of well educated, capable and motivated professionals. Great professional development, especially for junior staff. Many opportunities to develop and demonstrate ability to lead. Involved in interesting and meaningful assignments. Good comp and benefits.

Cons

Very challenging to find a good work-life balance. Firm values themselves far more than they value their clients success. Staff required to get involved in far too many non-client related efforts. Definition of individual and professional success changes within reporting periods. Success is too often based more on relationships than actual value of contributions. Lack of trust within the organization.

Advice to Management

Avoid the strong tendency to micro and over manage. Select competent leaders to take responsibility over projects and initiatives and allow them the flexibility to lead them, without constant oversight and fine tuning. Allow professionals to take controlled risks and fail - helping them to learn and grow from the experience.

11. I have been with Deloitte 7 years. It has been an interesting time.

Current Employee - Audit Senior in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

- working on different engagements
    - meeting interesting people
    - learning through practice
    - international assignments
    - promotion every year

Cons

- long working hours
    - salaries