Dell

3.3 3,464 reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(2,174 ratings)

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights
3,464 Employee Reviews

Great work life balance and benefits, attrition rate is high

Account Executive (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsIf you're an outside sales rep, you reap the benefits of being able to work from home and can schedule your own day.

ConsIf you work for sales on the inside, you have overbearing metrics like call stats, log in/log out, too many training sessions, useless middle management
    Attrition rate is high with going from public to private and cost cutting

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the attrition rate so high, it's never been a better time to really hold on to your top talent or they will continue to join the competition and you will left with nothing else than Dell Sales Robots who can't add value nor handle their workload

Nice people, awful management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsMost people are very nice, very good work life balance, and good compensation.

ConsNo career growth for employees. Very weird team management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way managing people has to be changed. High management need to switch their mind from hardware company to software/service company.

US Centric

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDell encourages remote workers which helps with work/life balance

ConsVery US centric culture does not take local nuances into consideration

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good when I started, downhill after that.....

Sales (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsDell is into many lines of business, the Dell name helps to open doors, overall good technology.

ConsIf you are not part of the inner circle then expect to be let go at any time- no stability, difficult to move up in the company, work may not be challenging enough, pay is below market.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees, focus on employee development, show some interest in your employees. Don't contact your employees only when you think something is wrong.

number centric

Proswork life balance - if you choose to
    salary comparatively good to other companies marketing positions
    lots of resource to learn / grow

Consbureaucracy
    slow to adopt changes
    low morale, excess works after the lay off

Advice to Senior Managementmore attention on the contribution instead of politics

turmoil

Prosfounder owned company, good and growing brand

Consshortsight everywhere, no long term sticky strategy. changing every quarter or half. mid management is pressured to act in contradictory to the company's long term goal. focus on cutting cost but increasing value

Advice to Senior Managementstreamline the operation. don't get over ambitious on products and solutions. as long as stick to one direction (not the current one, sorry, it is suicidal now) and will wait like Michael Dell publicly said, the future is good.

Started off great, but slowly degraded.

Senior Tech Support Agent, Linux SME (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsTraining and people were great. Nice to have access to all the hardware to model customer problems!!

ConsMade promises they didn't keep, and the local management was wacko...talked to other Dell employees on their intranet, and found out our site was the weirdest of the weird in their policies. They wouldn't allow people who wanted to work predominately weekends to work weekends, and forced *everyone* to work at least one weekend shift over the two week schedule, which screwed the people who had kids and family, and only wanted to work weekdays, and those who only wanted to work weekend for whatever reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementKEEP YOUR PROMISES! Don't pull out of a site after a couple of years and millions in tax breaks.

OK large Company to Work For

ProsWell known. Decent pay and excellent work Life Balance. Get in, get experience and get out. You can learn a lot and looks good on a resume but limited opportunity to move up.

ConsLimited opportunity for career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more than lip service to long term employees. Proactively develop them.

Great Work/Life Balance, but get ready for the speed.

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsExcellent way to learn 'what not to do' in large organization.
    Dell technology roadmap and strategy is exciting.
    You can get paid very well if you are an excellent sales rep.

ConsYour training will be self-instructed. If you do not know your stuff, you will drown.
    Employees that lack skills or qualifications seem to get promoted (hard work doesn't always pay off?)
    Talk time does not equate to more sales! Please embrace the social media communication age.
    Blocking career growth is absolute negative. It is happening and people are leaving.
    Frustrating processes, tools and sales policies

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a large divide between management and sales.
    You need to bridge this gap and listen to your sales teams.

Worked for the Toronto office for 5 years.

Inside Sales (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsOverall good culture, typically high young and employees tend to stay a lengthy amount of time.

ConsHighly process oriented not able to change quickly hence making your job more cumbersome.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost middle to senior management were promoted from within so the message and communication is a direct trickle down effect from the SVP and Directors you report to. Learn to take and accept ideas as well as criticism when processes and current tactics are no longer working

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!