Deb Shops Reviews

Updated 20 October, 2014
Updated 20 October, 2014
2.1

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • You get a 40% discount on their clothes, which is good because they are very cheaply made (in 13 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be managed especially with a schedule of rotating night and weekends and weekends off (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It can get stressful

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you love clothes and a great discount can make friends throught clientale.

Cons

it is very stressful mainly because you work on one part coverage and there will be shoplifters in the front of your store people in your fitting rooms youre ringing up customers and the phone ringing all at once. They decide to do promotion changes an hour before you are supposed to close the store so youre there alone doing signs and windows.

stop being so cheap and give more budget hours and give the stores some kind of security on the clothing.offer more than 5 hours a week and not minimum wage.

Positive environment leads to success

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount is the best you'll get anywhere, no other store gives a 40%

Cons

Promo changes are hard to do when you have to tear down your walls and four ways just to create these price points. DM will not respond ASAP to issues

This company needs lots of work. DMs really need to be able to communicate faster with the stores. Payroll should allow more hours to give to associates to keep them happy and with our store. The attitude of the manager changes the way your associates and assistant managers work in the store, leading to great customer service and bigger sales.

Drama

I worked at Deb Shops

Pros

the discount was really cool

Cons

way too much drama with all the females

Terrible management, Barely any benefits, Overall, terrible store.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH (US)

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I guess the only pro I could possibly think of from working at Deb Shops, is the 40% off discount. But honestly, 40% off of jacked up priced, and crappy clothing? Not as good as you think.

Cons

Where do I start. Well. I started working at Deb in January of 2014. I came in to the store because I was looking around the mall for a job at the time, and they said yes, they were hiring. One of the other manager girls ran up (I'll start on her later) and says "Hey what's your availability like?!" And I said, "Well, it's pretty open, I can work just about every day." And they pretty much offered me the job on the spot. At the time I was like, "Hey, this is pretty awesome." Little did I know they only wanted girls who can work any day so they can give them random shifts all the time. I started working and was getting about 20 hours a week, which I was happy with. In the interview the manager had said that's usually what all of the girls get. HAHAHA. Well I started to work there longer, and my hours went down, quick. Shifts like "5:30 pm-8:00 pm" What is that. Why would I go all the way up to the mall for that. Well one of the managers, the one I mentioned in the beginning, she had her way with me, or so she thought. One day during prom season, I came in. No direction as usual, very hectic, management bad as usual. I go to the back by the fitting rooms, and the manager says "Start on go backs, and then go straighten and take clothes out of the fitting rooms" Which I find very stupid in the first place. Why put a giant rack in the back? It's literally just asking for disorganization. But I started doing the go backs. And then she yells my name and says, "What are you doing! Clean out the fitting rooms!" And I was like "I thought you said go backs..." So, me being confused, I started cleaning those out and straighten, the other task she had mentioned. "and she was angry again and said that I had to do go backs. She was just terrible at managing the store, honestly. I don't think she had a clue what she was doing. Well another co-worker was in the back talking to me and she says "Wow, she looks like she's really trying to confuse you." And I replied "Yeah, I'm not sure she knows what's she's talking about, oh well." And of course, I should of kept my mouth shut. The co-worker completely twists my words around and goes up and tells the manager. While I'm still doing my job the manager yells at me, "Come to the back, NOW." And she got in my face yelling at me, saying "if you have something to say, say it to my face" Very unprofessional. And I told her it must of been a misconception. And she refused to believe it, and told me to just do my job and stop talking. Which I hardly ever did there, because it was such an awful place to be at. That was one of many bad days. That manager constantly abused her power, and she was very rude and picked on me a lot, opposed to other girls that worked there. She'd give me dirty looks a lot too while I was working, and it made me very uncomfortable. Well, eventually she left. Thank god for that. But management was still bad. It took 2 hours to close every night because the managers closing would just sit there and not help straighten the hundreds of racks of clothing in disorganization. Which, they would not let us do that much during the day. No go backs either. Only helping the customers. They would just sit there and talk while me and another associate would clean that entire freaking store. We close at 9, and they usually didn't start counting until 9:30 at least. And we were still straightening at that point because they wouldn't help. Well after they count, we have to count as well. 2 counts on 4 registers. That's ridiculous. And we couldn't leave until they were done with their deposit and other things we didn't have to do. I didn't drive at the time, so I had to rely on rides. And I could never give them a freaking time, because on the schedule it would say 9. Sometimes they'd let me leave at 9 and have another associate close, and other times it would be 11:00. I've had rides wait for hours outside. People have gotten mad at me after I walk out of work, tired and angry from my managers. And the reason we have to wait, is because loss prevention is so bad. Again, terrible management. They never had people watch the changing rooms, count items, or put numbers on doors. Never had enough coverage on the store. I worked at Deb Shops for 8 months and we had about 10 different managers. They couldn't deal with the store, it was too much for them. And don't even get me started on the last manager I had in there. Again with the picking favorites. There was a girl who worked there, And she got 20 hours every single freaking week. Guess how many I got? 5. Because she was a butt kisser and talked to the managers while I sat there and worked mine off, not always with a smile, but I got the freaking job done. And there was one time where I had called off because I had an appointment, and it was an hour before my shift, (I had taken the girl's shift) And she went off on me because I called off, and texted me and was very unprofessional and rude, about the whole situation. The store is just trashy and so are all of the clothes. So many damages, There was an 8 foot long rack of damaged clothing from the winter and spring season. No one knew how to take care of anything, and the clothing was cheap. I always tried to give my input about how the clothes should be organized, it was ignored. They jam packed clearance racks with hundreds of items, making it impossible to straighten. And plus size? Even worse. Well customers hated the fact that we didn't have as many plus size clothing items. I don't blame them. And the signs in the store were misleading as well. Fine print. I understand why customers got mad in the store now. It was a very disorganized store and clutter, and disorganized people. I do not recommend this job, Deb at the Dayton mall, and Ohio. My last few weeks of working there, they cut me down to 2 hours. The second I saw that on the schedule, I was tempted to just walk out. Instead, I called the next day, and put my 2 weeks in. Out of 8 months working there, I called off probably 4 times. And I was going through a ton of things the last month of working there, And I had told the sales lead what happened to me, and she understood. But I was just treated very unfairly. Getting paid 7.85 an hour and under 20 hours a week, was not worth it. And a lot of the girls there, they didn't even have bills or anything, they were 16 or 17 and in highschool, and the job was nothing to them. I was living paycheck to paycheck. And don't even think that this and another job would be worth it. Working 2 jobs, and one of them being the hell lair of Deb? No thank you. Not worth it at all. Terrible people, Terrible management, Terrible store, and Terrible job overall. I could go on so much more about having no benefits, raises, or how you have to work there a year to even get paid over time on black friday, and the fact that I sold the most perfume, and magazines of everyone and barely got noticed for it. You just have to be fake and kiss butt to get noticed, no actual intelligence needed. :) Good luck deb, honestly. Because I doubt you'll be around much longer. 60% off? Sounds like you're going out of business! Hopefully your cheap clothes go in the trash and your filth employees do as well.

Close down Deb at the Dayton mall, they are losing your money!

Horrible to work for.

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a 40% discount on their clothes, which is good because they are very cheaply made.

Cons

I was promised 25 hours when I was hired, and got that for one week. All other weeks I had about 5-10, with lots of on-calls which didn't allow me to do anything during the day. Management was very rude to me, and talked about customers behind their backs all the time.

They need to learn how to manage, and how to talk to people.

An amazing place to make lasting relationships and develop yourself into your role !

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The resources this company gives you to build onto your career is fantastic! My district had given me opportunities to travel and help out other stores in need. This may sound like a con, however if you look at it in the positive light those opportunities gave me the chance to see problems I may not come across in my home store and been able to develop solutions therefor adding to my skill set. Constant training and developing workshops such as Visual Merchandising and Loss Prevention. There was 100% communication between myself and my district manger as well as strong connections with other leaders in other stores. My district manager was an amazing leader and teacher. This company recognizes internal talent and promotes within. The new fashions are fabulous and the discount we receive is generous. Benefits offered for full time as well as a nice PTO package. Paid holidays for Store Managers as well as Full Time Assistants.

Cons

Payroll would be my biggest concern only because the square footage of most of the stores are enormous and flex hours given for workloads (promotional changes, markdowns, visual sets) just we're not enough to maintain a fully covered store. Recovery standard also lacked because of this as well as an increase in theft and concern of safety. Receiving or completing training of new and/or current employees is much easier in a lower volume store and I have personally seen the nite and day difference between training in a low volume store versus a higher volume store. The turn over rate in my initial lower volume store was extremely low compared to the higher volume store I transferred to and I attribute this to lack of payroll given to coach and develop. There is a "get it, understand it or get out" mentality. Work-life balance can be managed especially with a schedule of rotating night and weekends and weekends off. Store managers are required to work 44 hours a week however a majority work between 45-52 just to fill in and complete tasks where additional payroll would be nice. Promotional changes are a struggle especially when one comes down during the middle of the day and easily take an hour to complete and that's when the doors are closed with no customers. External theft is high and hard to manage. I look forward to the company's action plan.

Recognize internal potential talent and ensure everyone is treated the same and fairly based off policies and procedures. Have realistic goals and expectations of your staff. Be understanding, a coach, and a leader. Always be positive and allow your staff to be themselves and have a lil fun. Believe in your people and they will believe in you :)

Good starting place - not for permanent career

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Deb Shops

Pros

Awesome discount on merchandise and ability to learn all aspects of retail management. Time off policies were very flexible.

Cons

Poor upper management. HORRIBLE pay. Basically anywhere else you work as an assistant manager you will be paid more.

If you don't have thick skin, this isn't the place for you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good thing was getting enough experience to get the next job.

Cons

You will be worked to tears, I literally cried at least once a week. Even if you bust your butt, your compensation will be zero. People are unfriendly, bitter, and will throw you under for their own gain. The only way to get ahead is to brown nose the top people, go behind everyone elses back, take credit for work that isn't your own.

Recognize those that truly work hard and for the pure benefit of he company and compensate them accordingly. A max of a sad 5% increase in pay when everyone knows the VP's are making triple digits severely hurts the morale of the workers.

It was an Okay place to work.

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discounts and laid back work clothing were the only pros that I liked.

Cons

The people are drama, and I was always trying to find something to do once it was done I stood around for the rest of my shift. This is not what I wanted.

A good company if you would like to advance.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Marion, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Marion, IL (US)

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training for the most part.
    40% off discount start out with 15 days pto

Cons

low pay for the work at times requires the sm to work 44 hours

keep with it things are getting better I have been with deb for over 4 years and this is the best year it has been yet