Dealertrack Technologies Reviews

Updated 27 August, 2014
Updated 27 August, 2014

Dealertrack Technologies Chairman, President, and CEO Mark F. O'Neil
Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • Management is understanding of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Remote opportunities, growing company, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is micro managerial and often de motivational (in 5 reviews)

• Not sure upper management has really been in the rank and file (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Roller coaster ride but getting better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun culture, good pay and benefits.

Cons

Problems with integrating newly acquired employees.

Dog eat Dog Company!

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time

Pros

The salary is pretty decent.

Cons

Very cut throat organization
    Kiss butt and you'll advance
    Sneaky and mischievous senior management
    HR reps are clueless

Get self training and consider your employees first. Don't just worry about the money made from acquisitions. Stop being so sneaky and rude when communicating with others to find out what you need to know. Also, please make sure when advancing someone to another position, give them an advance b/c of their past experience. Can't advance and HR intern to an HR manager to work more than one state when he/she is not aware of the employment laws. That's very poor taste.

Good company, Bad departmental structure

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* The company is truly striving to be the best in the industry.
    * The company as a whole really tries to listen to their employees and learn from them.
    * Benefits are within the industry average.

Cons

* The departmental structure with the IT departments is counter productive.
    * The hard matrix puts team members in a place where they have to pick between 2 bosses that have differing opinions on the same topic.
    * The is little to no growth opportunities within the department I work. There have been very few promotions of any kind during my time.
    * There is a lot of red tape to get the simplest thing achieved.

This is the first company I have worked at where I had more confidence in the top managers then I do in the middle and lower managers. Move away from the hard matrix structure on the IT side. Let the GMs have more control of those teams.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to build career

Current Employee - Document Agent  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Document Agent in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxing workplace environment, easy going work, it is a good place to start off your career in a office environment work and some chance of promotion but not often. Allows a music player like a ipod during work to listen to music.

Cons

Repetition of large volume, mistakes are recorded and workload is timed by volume. Work gets repetitive so make sure to bring some music to listen to

Company is growing.

Former Employee - Devops  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Devops in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

good compensation and other perks.

Cons

Location is not as dynamic as manhattan

DealerTrack bought Arkona and destroyed a viable DMS option in the Automotive DMS Industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time

Pros

*Arkona was a great place to work and had a fantastic product and surging sales.
    *My last day working for these morons.

Cons

The DMS General Manager manged by "spreadsheet", had no industry experience, brought in a number of people from a "failed" competitor (Reynolds and Reynolds), killed all creativity and synergy, cut all salaries 5% promising to restore it later. It was never restored in my time there. They systematically dismantled the team that had created the success, product and track record and turned this creative and game changing DMS into an also ran. Huge brain drain after acquisition in 2007 at the DMS in SLC

Too late. You already ran off and fired all of the talent. I think you may succeed in running a great product into the ground. Sad end to what was once a "game Changer" in the Automotive DMS world.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Technology  in  Groton, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Technology in Groton, CT (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Actively seeks employee feedback and acts on suggestions. This is the only company I have worked for that not only commits the resources to poll the employees, but actually does act on suggestions. We have a unique "Jam" session yearly where we have three days to interactively propose topics and join others' discussions. Some recent policies aimed at employee satisfaction have come from these sessions.

Cons

Goal setting process is too regimented. Would appreciate having my goals be less reflective on company success, but more tuned to my personal progress which will only help strengthen the organization as a whole.

Fewer meetings that last over thirty minutes.

Technology Company Run By Accountants

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quarterly Bonuses
    Pay on time
    Decent office setup

Cons

CIO has no tech background
    Technology decisions made by non-technology people
    Overbearing HR Department has killed all morale
    Does not innovate, just buy companies and run everything else in maintenance mode

Let middle managers do their job, they don't need corporate office second guessing everything

Company with excellent track record and impressive exponential growth since inception in 2001

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Success, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tremendous growth and therefore career opportunities and advancement.
    It will become a "one stop shop", very powerful company in the auto retailing industry within the next few years.

Cons

Growth have been mainly by acquisition and there are issues fully integrating different business models and products. Challenges integrating different cultures as well.

Take advantage of synergies in the acquisition of new companies and devote time and resources for integrating both business and people into One Dealertrack

Great Company if you Enjoy being treated like 3rd class Citizen

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have no current pros, but I'd say the base product line (SalesMaker, eCon, Aftermarket, Compliance) were great products that showed a lot of hope and promise.

Cons

HR is overbearing and takes favoritism to a new level. The company is more concerned about living from aquisition to aquisition. DT has an employee base that's intelligent, motivated and software geniuses, but instead of imporving the product offerings that are selling, they'd rather just aquire and destroy. Middle Mangement is a Joke. When you have 1 person controlling an entire country, how can you expect to give the company employee ROI? Management in general is a joke. The attitudes of upper management are a disgrace.

Learn your own products. Train your employees. Treat new hires with respect and dignity. Fire the HR team and rehire a REAL HR team who knows how to keep a business running smoothly, instead of being swayed by favoritism.

Worked for Dealertrack Technologies? Contribute to the Community!